New mix of "Let It Be" from NAKED

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HGN2001, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Matt!

2. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Thanks Matt sez me too!

Wow. I think it's great.

3. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Interesting, to say the least. So far I like it.

Either this new mix is taken from 2 takes, or the "Let It Be" we are used to is edited from 2 takes.

The background vocals are suspicious...

4. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Sure. As long you prefer your mixes of music dry-as-a-bone done by someone who has no f'n clue what the Beatles should sound like, than this new CD is for you.
    What you have here is what sounds like a first-pass rough mix of the "single version" before someone decided what need to be done for the proper mix.
    I cant believe the amount of crap hurled towards Phil spector in some of the press build-up over this release. I'm no huge fan of Spector. He is the most over-rated producer of all time and arguably really ceased to matter after 1965. BUT, the "Let it be" LP is his finest hour. He truly succeeded in polishing a turd . Although you could certainly argue "the long and winding road" and "across the universe" went a bridge too far. But when you compare the whole experience he created with his version of Let it Be LP to the TWO previous attempts by Glyn Johns it is striking what a post-production masterpiece it is.
    The ultimate in this hypocrisy is that Sir Paul often plays a arrangement of "Long and winding road" in-concert very similar to the "Let it Be" LP version he criticizes and Abbey Road LP uses some very similar concepts of string arrangements and production to"Let it be" and no one ever says that LP overproduced...

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, I'm listening to the MP3 as I type this (thanks!) and can't really make up my mind.. I guess I'm just too used to the old mixes.

There are some nice things that pop up on this one (piano sounds a bit more prominent) but overall (on first listen) I tend to lean more towards namretsam's comments. It's almost too dry.

Not only that but they used the wrong George guitar solo, .. I never knew which one was the 'single' version and which one was the other one but this is the one I don't care for. The other solo just smokes. What was the logic behing putting this one out? :confused:

And we've still to see to which extent they'll have f*cked with the tapes in terms of NR et al. If this is meant to be a 'warts and all' version of the album methinks they should use no NR, but that's sounds a bit unreal in light of what '1' turned out to be.

Just another opinion..

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

So, tell me again why this is better than what we already have? Sounds like it should've been on the Anthology. You know, an interesting alternate take, not something touted as the new official version.

I thought the idea was to just take off the Spectorizations (choirs, strings, etc...) and present the real takes stripped down to their bareness. This is a different take (obviously not the one they thought was best or it would've been on the original album).

Hmmmm.......

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

So you're passing judgment on the entire Let It Be Naked CD based on a single song, while arguing that "the whole experience" of the Spector Let It Be outweighs the flaws of two of its songs?

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Who's "they"? The argument that the definitive takes were the ones chosen for the LP doesn't really apply when the original LP was assembled with minimal involvement from the band.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I copied this MP3 (Pretty cool that it is a stereo MP3!) and compared it verse by verse in SOund Forge 7.0 with the rip I did from my Let It Be LaserDisc. This is definately NOT the movie vocal track. At first I thought it might be, with the ending lyric of "there will be no sorrow" spliced out. However, after listening and comparing Pauls phrasing on the lead vocal, I can tell you that it is an entirely different take.

The guitar solo, however, is exactly the same as the film version, so either they cut and pasted it into this version, or George had it down pat and this take was recorded at the same time as the movie clip.

I still am not sure why they would not use the movie clip soundtrack, as this was truely all 4 Beatles (plus Billy) and nothing more, done in one sitting, with no studio trickery (that we can see), and should have been considered their "official" version of the song, same with Long and WInding Road.

Still, I am looking forward to this new CD............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.