New MM cart. Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Micke Lindahl, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi.

Would like some advice for a new MM cartridge. Price range $50-200.

It's for my number 3 rig that I use for casual listening. NAD 533 TT, Origin Live Onyx arm and a Musical Fidelity VLPS II phono preamp. I'm using an Ortofon 2M Blue now but it has about 600 hours on it. I know that I can get a replacement needle, but I would like to try something else. And to be honest I'm not overly fond of it. :shrug:

All suggestions appreciated.

Micke

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

How about the Shure M97xe or Nagaoka MP110?

macster, theron d, Moonchild and 7 others like this.
  3. woody

woody Forum Resident

Just went with an LP Gear modified Audio Technica 95SE as a birthday gift for a friend with a modest set up. His 10 year old needle has bit the dust. I mainly went with it as it should be a close to direct swap for the AT cart he has now and they'll load it up on a head shell, too, saving some time and headache. LP Gear has a line of various needles for the cart body as an upgrade path.

Was close to buying the Shure M97xe, with consideration to the Ortofon Red and Goldring Elektra as other alternatives. I'm not familiar with your arm to give a good recommendation, though.

What don't you like about the Blue?

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'll second @woody 's question. What don't you like about the Blue? no way to give an educated response without that info.
    -Bill

Manimal, patient_ot and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

Denon DL-110

johnny q and CCrider92 like this.
  7. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Audio-Technica is coming out with a new line of speakers

8. johnny q, c-eling and H8SLKC like this.
  9. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Shibata diamond stylus? Nice. Looking for a backup for my Stanton 890FS with D22E and that's a definite contender alogn with the Shure 97, Nagoka 110, and Grado Gold

10. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

bluemooze and displayname like this.
  11. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

******Audio Technica is coming out with a new line of carts in early Jan. of this year.******

12. Shibata...there is no substitute.
    :cool:

johnny q and Jelloalien like this.
  13. Micke Lindahl

Ok. Should have been clear about why I don't like the 2M Blue. I find it a bit clinical (lifeless).

Several good suggestions. Thanks all. Really interested in the MoFi Studio Tracker. But since I live in Sweden the shipping and customs fee would cost me about half of what the cart costs.

displayname likes this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Rega Elys 2.

:hide:

15. Micke Lindahl

Ok. Something else that I probably should have stated in my initial post. This rig plays about 3-4 hours a day. That's the reason I want an MM cart (with replacable stylus). Rega Elys isn't one of them? And when checking the MoFi isn't either?

16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

A new Elys 2 is probably less expensive than the stylus for the Ortofon 2M Blue. The Elys 2 aligns automatically with its 3-point mounting. What’s the advantage of the replaceable stylus?

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I switch back and forth between the AT150SA and an Orto Blue. The SA definitely has 'sparkle' if that's what your looking for. The Orto is a bit more laid back, but didn't notice it as being clinical. Now some of mastering's it's played on is a different story :laugh:

18. Micke Lindahl

No. The Elys costs about $50 more than a replacement stylus for the Blue. Here in Sweden anyway. But I'm not gonna replace the stylus on that one since I don't like it (as I've said :) ).

Advantage? Cost. As above. :)

EDIT:
    The 3-point mounting is a nice feature. But have no use for that on this arm (Origin Live).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Here's a couple samples for those that may be interested. Of course different set-ups play a factor.
    Ortofon's have a higher output volume than AT's. These are not level matched.
    Supertramp-Child of Vision
    Orto Blue-
    Dropbox - Orto Blue.wav
    AT150SA-
    Dropbox - 150SA sample.wav

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Are you sure it’s the cartridge you don’t like and not the preamp, or speakers, or...

21. Micke Lindahl

It sounded great when I still had the Denon DL-160. Well. I still have it but it's worn out.

22. I'm a big fan of Nagaoka cartridges because of one clear reason: Lots of people associate the term "hi-fi" with what is commonly known as the "smiley" EQ curve, which is: Plenty of lows and highs plus not so prominent middle frequencies. And actually, that was my preference as well until around 15 years ago. But age and my experience as a musician made me appreciate the importance of middle frequencies in the overall sound palette. I agree that way too prominent mids make the music to sound like coming out of an old radio, but the solution to this is not burying them. To my ears, Nagaoka cartridges take good care of this, being the result a natural, warm sound with an even response along the whole spectrum. People who prefer a "discotheque" type of sound may not like them. But if your goal is a sound that doesn't favor a particular frequency range, I highly suggest you a Nagaoka MP-110, which is the model within your budget.

All of the above is my sole perception and opinion, of course.

23. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Have the DL160 retiped, probably hard to do any better for the money.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

3-4h/day is casual listening?

25. Micke Lindahl

lol. English isn't my native language. When I said casual I meant listening when doing other things. As opposed to sit down and REALLY LISTEN.

John Woo and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.