New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member Thread Starter

The Music Direct Catalog for 2017 just arrived and has lots of new MOFI titles. Should we start another thread?

NEW Titles include:

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft
    Elvis Costello - Painted from Memory
    Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel
    Dire Straits 4 new titles
    Jerry Garcia/David Grisman - Shady Grove
    Derek & the Dominos - Layla
    James Gang Rides Again
    Procol Harum- A Salty Dog
    Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh
    The Knack - Get the Knack
    Ry Cooder - Boomers Story, Paradise and Lunch, Chicken Skin Music
    Supertramp - Breakfast in America
    Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Ultradisc One Step)

Carlox, bluemooze, jlf and 13 others like this.
  2. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

where's Miles JACK JOHNSON SACD???

Starwanderer and rxcory like this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

TBA land
    Nashville Skyline just left that location for release. I remain optimistic the Jack Johnson will show.

4. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Yes! Layla done by MOFI. Hopefully vinyl.

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

A few cool titles

6. There's also a distinction of vinyl and SACD as well for various titles. Looks like the Dire Straits will be both vinyl and SACD based on what i read. No prices so clearly they are being announced but with no release date.

joshm2286 and JediJoker like this.
  7. I'd like SACD as well.

8. Laser Red

Laser Red Forum Resident

Hoping many of these don't stay in TBA purgatory for long.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

For those of us who haven't seen the catalog, can you clarify which are to be SACD? I'm done buying vinyl. We know about the Dire Straits. Which others will also be SACD? I'm most hopeful for James Gang Rides Again, Breakfast In America and Love And Theft.

art and JediJoker like this.
  10. Looking forward to Layla and the Richard Thompson. By sheer coincidence I was listening to Sony's Love and Theft SACD today. I think there is room for improvement left.

Shvartze Shabbos and art like this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It'll be interesting to hear how they turn out but I think I'm done with Layla and Breakfast In America after the latest SHM-SACD from Japan.

Larry Mc and Joti Cover like this.
  12. eelkiller

I am hoping these will have digital releases:
    James Gang Rides Again
    Procol Harum- A Salty Dog
    Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh
    Ry Cooder - Boomers Story, Paradise and Lunch, Chicken Skin Music

So they will probably be vinyl only. :)

Sean, Kyhl, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  13. eelkiller

Layla is competing with Abraxas it seems. We have the SHM-SACD. Platinum SHM, Gold Ultradisc, Universal SACD. Now one more version. Layla wins.

jhm and Time Is On My Side like this.
  14. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member Thread Starter

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft BOTH
    Elvis Costello - Painted from Memory probably vinyl only
    Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel doesn't say
    Dire Straits 4 new titles BOTH
    Jerry Garcia/David Grisman - Shady Grove doesn't say
    Derek & the Dominos - Layla BOTH
    James Gang Rides Again doesn't say
    Procol Harum- A Salty Dog doesn't say
    Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh doesn't say
    The Knack - Get the Knack doesn't say
    Ry Cooder - Boomers Story, Paradise and Lunch, Chicken Skin Music BOTH
    Supertramp - Breakfast in America BOTH
    Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Ultradisc One Step)

Also for the weezer titles it says LP and SACD issues so maybe they will do more sacd besides the blue one

Kyhl, PhantomStranger, Deano6 and 2 others like this.
  15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm curious, Derek & The Dominos - Layla, was already issued on Gold CD years ago. Why a reissue? Not to mention, there is already the SHM-SACD/SHM Platinum-CD which I thought were flat transfers off the master tapes already. I cannot see what the value would be in buying this again.

And are the rest of the Dylan titles planning to release sometime this decade?

16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I may just be in for Layla. Can't say I've liked the sound of the original US LP, and so I've never enjoyed the album much. This may be what causes me to finally "get it"

The rest of the list isn't too exciting for me personally. Not as good as it has been in recent years IMO

quicksrt likes this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Oh, that would be fantastic!

HappyFunMiles likes this.
  18. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

They've got to start doing more titles that have not already been done. One thing I can say for Audio Fidelity is that they think outside the box (with the Legends compilations, Blade Runner soundtrack). They don't re-release the same things over and over again.

scotpagel, agentalbert and George P like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft - not sure why this album keeps getting reissued over and over by the audiophile labels. Great album but its never been the greatest engineered album.

Elvis Costello - Painted from Memory - will most likely sound great. But not something I would have picked. Kind of a cool factor at the time but I dont really think its held up as something that would get a lot of listens or with his classic albums. Pass.

Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel ..great album, been done. Im good with the AF.

Dire Straits 4 new titles- been done, though I admit I love the first album and will buy it on 45.

Jerry Garcia/David Grisman - Shady Grove- the original cd sounds great. Are a bunch of folks actually going to buy this though? Fairly obscure album.

Derek & the Dominos - Layla- why do they keep doing this album? It will always sound the way it sounds. And no audiophile magic is going to mysteriously make it sound anything but marginally improved. Not buying it.

James Gang Rides Again- good album. Be interested in seeing what mfsl can do with it mastering wise. At least its not a generic or done to death title.

Procol Harum- A Salty Dog- good album. The silver disc sounds great though. But ok, Ill cut them a break. Might sound super on 45.

Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh- good album. If its a more than a bit better mastering than the cd or original vinyl then Ill most likely get it.

The Knack - Get the Knack- a guilty pleasure. At least its not something thats been reissued to death. Plus, its got 2 hits. Classic album? Eh, not really. But a fun listen still. Ill probably buy it.

Ry Cooder - Boomers Story, Paradise and Lunch, Chicken Skin Music- cool choices. Its Cooder. And any Cooder is good Cooder imo. Still, are these really albums that will benefit from 50 buck pressings? Ry Cooder isnt exactly a phenomenal voice. Might give one a try.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America- too many fricking reissues of this. Done to death.

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Ultradisc One Step)- love Bill Evans/great jazz album, but I wouldnt pick this for a 100$ reissue. Pass.

I was going to slam mfsl for same old titles and poor sonically recorded choices for audiophile reissue; but since Id buy 6 or 7 out of 18 titles I wont rag on them.

At least there are a few cool ones amongst the usual headscratchers and done to death choices.

Look foward to having all 8 sitting on my shelf in 2025

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Most of the newly announced titles were reissued many, many times.

Ry Cooder, James Gang and Dire Straits are the only interesting records IMO

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

:pineapple:

Let's have this as 2 x 45 rpm! Give us Home and Broken Barricades in this format too, please.

Rickchick and Joti Cover like this.
  22. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Not as a 2 x 45 rpm, which is how I hope to see this one issued. Bring it!

JackDVD78 likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, itll be cool to grab 4 or 5 of these also.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Actually, when I think about it, Id rather just have a 12 inch audiophile pressing of the two Knack hits off of Get The Knack. Most of the songs on the album arent near as hooky or well written. Probably can find some great aounding 12" single on ebay.

25. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Nice choices this year. Some old standards that could use the magic (Layla, Breakfast in America) - and some inspired off-beat choices - (Knack, Garcia/Grisman).
    I know the Dire Straits will be 2x45 - here's hoping nothing else will!
    Enough of that - let's keep the music as it was intended to be heard - albums sides as art form.
    And lp's that don't cost $50 - ugh.
    If that happens I see a good dozen records I'll pick up.

Eigenvector likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.