New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I know! I was kind of interested in what Shawn and Rob could do for that Manilow set, but after everybody piled on about how awful Barry's songs normally sound, I figured that they ended up afraid to actually take it on? Those Manilow cuts are in serious need of a complete "remix", with added bass and midrange and the high end eased back quite a bit, far over another "remastering", in my opinion!

Jrr, rxcory and Blue Cactus like this.
  2. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

3. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

They want everyone to buy the albums first, than that will be the last issue. Wonder if they will do Greatest hits 2?

Ed Hughes likes this.
  4. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I'm down for Layla and Bill Evans. The AP 45rpm by SH is stupid expensive on the used market. And well Layla, I only have the original UK and I've always wanted the MFSL one on vinyl.

rxcory likes this.
  5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Here's hoping that MoFi takes another crack at Kind of Blue in '17. 'Til now, this album's many lovers have been seriously ill-served by the reissue industry.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

That might be the case. I think it's a quite common opinion that a well mastered 45 beats a well mastered 33. Everything else equal. That doesn't mean though that a 33 on Rhino cannot be considered "audiophile" (whatever that means). Haven't heard Love on 45. The 33 is wonderful IMO. Was also interesting to read that Fremer preferred the Rhino release.

George P likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

To my ears the difference between a well mastered 45 vs 33 is way bigger than the difference between CD and hi-res. Of course YMMV, my DAC performs exceptionally with redbook (if the mastering is the same on both formats).

8. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Heart Like A Wheel & Rumor And Sigh are must-buys for me.

conjotter likes this.
  9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This title was recorded all analogue and I'm not sure the 2001 vinyl was cut from an analogue tape. The Mofi could be the first AAA issue of this music, which would be great.

"The first full Bob Dylan album Chris Shaw did was 1999’s Love and Theft, which the engineer says was recorded at Clinton Studios in NYC—a studio that served the singer-songwriter’s needs well. “It’s a big, bright, airy room that has a nice, natural reverb that doesn’t slap back and decays evenly and naturally,” the engineer says. The console, a vintage Neve 8068, and a one-inch Studer A827 two-track for mixing (15 ips, no noise reduction), sealed the deal at a time when Dylan was recording exclusively to analog."

Recording Bob Dylan »

Cassius, rxcory, RobCos02330 and 2 others like this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The Iconoclassic (mastered by Vic Anesini) CD of "Get The Knack" sounds excellent. Don't think I'll spring for this one just to get it on CD. If it were a different title, I would.

Echo and art like this.
  11. I will have to check that version out. It is readily available? I believe my cd copy is the more generic issue with a few bonus tracks. I bought it maybe 5-7 years ago. It sounds pretty good, but have not compared it directly to the original LP...

12. art

art Senior Member

Ry Cooder on SACD. Heaven.

Kyhl, eelkiller and Dave Simms like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, still in print. $8.01 here.

To be clear, what I'm talking about is a CD. My original message should have read "don't think I'll spring for this one just to get it on SACD"

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I stand corrected. One of my favorite later Dylan albums. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it improves the sq. Though I still am not a huge fan of the production/engineering. Would like a remix personally.

15. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Looking at the new catalog and I was hoping mofi would continue the series

16. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Is there a record that was put out at 33 and 45 using the same mastering. That would be a very interesting listening test to do.

17. Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Understood you were speaking about the cd version too, but appreciate the clarification!

18. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Agreed. The second lp sounds spectacular. In fact, all 3 of the Capitol albums are very well recorded.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  19. I don't have the third but always see it and have never picked it up, but good to hear!

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have had around a half dozen Classic Records 33/45 mostly jazz, some rock for the same album. And more recently the Music Matters titles, and while the mastering is not exactly the same the advantages of 45 rpm cutting become obvious; namely in soundstage, dynamic range and the trailing following an attack.

Johan1880 and Paully like this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Get it. Very underrated album. Cheap on vinyl. Sealed copies are plentiful and affordable.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  22. Will do!

23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Sine they've announced reissuing the mono mixes of Dylan's albums, why not continue on with mono Miles? That way they actually could squeeze out another Kind of Blue reissue. And I bet it'd sell like hotcakes, too.

'67 Chevy and SteelyTom like this.
  24. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member Thread Starter

Wasn't Ry Cooder Jazz a big title for MFSL back in the day? All things considered I am surprised it's not being rereleased and announced with his other titles. I speculate it's in the cards too, and will pop up eventually.

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

Good lord, YES, please. I'm quite tired of MoFi's obsession with 45 RPM reissues. The only one I can think of that really needed to be 45 RPM was Bob Dylan's Desire, because my US original LP of that album sounds horrid, but the MoFi sounds great. The only thing I dislike about it was splitting apart the transition between "Romance in Durango" and "Black Diamond Bay." :mad:

Everything else can be done satisfactorily at 33, the way nature intended, thank you.

spaulding and Deano6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.