New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

For the unaware - MFSL has released Brother in Arms as the 2013 SACD and the 2015 2 x 45rpm vinyl.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

From what I read it was limited to 3000 copies. They released the first half and sold out almost immediately. It is showing up on some sites as out, and it's not even on SSD site anymore, but I think the other half is still to come. I had no intention of buying it for that price until I heard they went to the trouble to compile it using the masters, unusual for a compilaton, and people here were gushing about it. I got the last copy at my local store, and apparently they got wind that it sold out. Asking price? $129.99! By pure luck I came in during there monthly 20% off sale so I only got screwed a little! Still glad I grabbed one. It's amazing what we audiophiles will spend on something scarce.

MikeJedi and RelayerNJ like this.
  3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

And...how does it sound??

4. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Wrong. Otherwise nobody could comment on anything here. This is a music forum where people are free to give their opinion. Sure, music is a personal thing but it is my opinion that not many baby boomers would buy GNR MOFI's. I am allowed to have this opinion and air it here. Sorry if you don't like it. You are welcome to disagree wuth my opinion of course.

5. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Really? I'm 45 and that's the stuff me and my friends love. I couldn't care less about the 9000th iteration of a Bob Dylan, Beatles, etc rerererererelease. There was a Springsteen box set a couple of years ago so, I'm good with Bruce. After the release of the Billy Joel catalog (of which they did a tremendous job), I'm good with his stuff too. Get to the 70's stuff that actually needs it done right, like AC/DC.

MFSL already did the GnR catalog. I wouldn't mind seeing the first couple AiC discs get the MFSL treatment. Heck, do the first five Slayer albums while they're at it, I'll buy them all. Release SH's version of Poison's "Open Up and Say Ahhh!", I'll buy it. Give me the entire run of Motorhead albums up through 1916, I'm a buyer. To say that people in their mid 40's, who were teenagers through the 80's and in their early 20s in the early 90's have no interest in "heavy rock" is ridiculous. It's mid to late 90's drivel like Oasis that I have no interest in.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I prefer my original DADC.

7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Especially when the 50s+ older crowd dies off, most of who’ll be left that would be interested in audiophile releases would be those who grew up in the 80s and 90s.

Let’s be honest, look at the Mobile Fidelity catalog. When the current 50s+ crowd dies off, most of the catalog will hold no interest. I’m 30 and and an audiophile who gets into a lot of 20s through today’s music and most of Mobile Fidelity’s catalog and even Audio fidelity’s catalog is of little interest to me. Both of their problem is that they’ve been catering to the same music demographic since their inception and releasing the same exact music and they think they’ll always be able to. At some point they’re going to have to either expand or fold.

Kyhl, Paully, Nrochie4184 and 4 others like this.
  8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

A MFSL LP, maybe even at 45 rpm, of Alice in Chains Dirt would be sick!

As someone in their 40s, I'd love to see this kinda stuff too. I doubt I'll pick up any of the Dire Straits stuff. Great band, but I'm happy with what's already available.

Kyhl, Paully, Nrochie4184 and 3 others like this.
  9. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Honestly, and you aren’t going to like this, but they should get into Pop music more. Pop music been grossly disrespected and overlooked in the audiophile market. I would want that over the likes of second rate heavy rock bands from the 80s and 90s, where Pop shined.

Paully and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a strange theory. So if I love "Appetite For Destruction", I "don't really like music much"? But only if I'm in the UK or Europe??

What really would be a **** hot seller would be MFSL doing Iron Maiden. Or is this also music for people who "don't really like music much"??

12. Sentient Six

You're allowed to like anything you want but, just because you're not into heavy music doesn't mean you should cast it off as "second rate" especially considering how popular it was and how well it sold in the 80's and 90's. But give an example of what you want. Pop can mean different things to different people. I've already expressed my distaste for Oasis. If that's what you want (and I don't even think they're good enough to rank as second rate), then good for you. If you mean Prince then I'm all for it.

Lucca90 likes this.
  13. Sentient Six

I don't think that they would ever allow their catalog to be touched by MFSL or Audio Fidelity. I'm with you in that I would buy it the second it was available, but I just don't see it happen. I would really love for one of them to get a hold of the AC/DC catalog and put out with the Australian track listings and the 80's b-sides on the proper albums.

14. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I was only pitching for a reaction! It wasn't even a theory. :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. It's Felix

I agree - there could be super version of well produced so called Pop music releases from over the years.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. It's Felix

Exactly. But the over 50s aren't going anywhere fast - they have all your money, housing, great jobs and healthcare - they will be snaffling up this stuff for another 30 years - whilst the 20 year olds scrap in the dust for enough money to get on the housing ladder. I think MoFi have a pretty sustainable model.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. It's Felix

We all have different tastes. But you are only the second person under 46 years old that I have ever met that likes Billy Joel. Maybe I just never meet them, maybe my friends are secretly listening to Uptown Girl on the weekend - I don't know - but I would say that is a bit of a rarity.

18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Maybe it's a regional thing (I'm in the NYC area), but it's hard to find a person of any age not to like Billy Joel around here. And people in their 40s grew up with Billy, the Billy Joel generation :)

Mr. Explorer and Sentient Six like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I also don't think Steve would allow that. But it would be fantastic!
    Well... I guess you have been served then:biglaugh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. I’m 63 Billy Joel bores me so .....

Kyhl, robd2, MarkO and 3 others like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm sure this happens to many of us that use a credit card almost exclusively. My bank will cancel a card if there is any type of suspicious activity, It happened when I ordered from cdjapan. It is an inconvenience, but it really is a good thing.

After the card is cancelled I have to go in and change the card number any place it is being used.

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m 62 and Billy Joel does much worse than bore me.

Kyhl, MikeT, hardknox and 2 others like this.
  23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No disagreement there. But an opinion with nothing to back it up, no offer of evidence or reasoning to potentially persuade another person, is meaningless. It's an act of self-expression, which is cool, but it's not an argument.

24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That is a true statement, but it may carry out further than you suspect. When the 50+ generation dies, the target demographics will also drastically change. The reduced demand for all things audiophile will affect the supply. You are thinking that only the vinyl titles will change and all else will remain the same, but I suspect that along will the decline in demand - there will be the loss of supply. I am constantly seeing reminders that the 50+ year old men are the main drivers behind 'audiophile'. Why do you think MFSL focuses on the vinyl titles that they do? They know the market that drives their business model. This goes deeper than what they can license. To survive the future, MFSL is going to have to refocus on digital presentations, and hope for and embrace a revival of the CD/SACD format. I suggest that it is within the upcoming revival of the CD format that you will see the seismic shift in titles released. Outside of a future CD revival, MFSL will be done.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Mr. Explorer, ispace and Rob Hughes like this.
  25. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

This is also why collectors and dealers are seeing the demand and value for 1960's artists fall off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.