New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Awesome. Did not see that coming.

Paulwalrus and DwarfMcDougal like this.
  3. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Interesting!

4. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Great stuff. No wonder he has being so pro-active with the "The Queen Is Dead" reissue :D

5. gohill

gohill Senior Member

My wife will be pleased as she is a fanatical fan (although she did admit his novel was awful so it must have been bad).

Thought his last album 'World Peace...' was pretty good so it is good that he has managed to find another record company willing to take a chance on him, despite many previous ones being burned by his mercurial personality. He is always threatening his last album or gigs over here. Was at one of his 2 supposedly" last UK shows ever" at Hammersmith Apollo in 2015 and lo and behold me and my wife were at the Manchester Arena last August seeing him again. Always a good live performer and the last record was still very decent. His recent tedious, bilious and jaundiced public proclamations notwithstanding (we can't get into that on here), I am glad he is bringing another album out. The title is a bit juvenile for a man of his age, but I will await this with an open mind. His band are for the most part pretty decent and not the notorious pub rock plodders of yore, so this might be good like the last one. I am not expecting him to recover the sterling close to Smiths like form of 'Your Arsenal' and 'Vauxhall And I', but if he can match the last one it will be welcome. I hope it is not another 'Maladjusted' or a lightweight mediocrity like most of 'Years Of Refusal' but I think he has some mileage left as a singer and performer so I welcome this.

blackstar, noahjld, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  6. stagnation

I was at that gig in Manchester too, had to believe its a little over a year ago. I saw him at Hull Arena just after the album came out and was disappointed that he used the exact the same show in Manchester even though it was over a year apart. Would be nice for him throw in a few more "hits" when in his home town but hey that's morrissey for you.

7. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wonder how long this relationship will last before they record company are the worst in the world

alanb, hamicle, drivingfrog and 5 others like this.
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Surprised by this announcement. Can't wait to see how this label "sabotages" the release

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  9. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident Thread Starter

10. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Last album was great.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Signed to BMG now. Let's hope he doesn't blow it.

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Inspired to check out Morrissey's chart history and amazed that he had so many hits. 32 top 40 (10 of those top 10)

What is the best singles collection?

13. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

There's no complete overview. Every collection so far misses essential stuff. Probably due to all the label switching. I'd get the "Singles 1988-1991" 3-CD set if I were you.

StevenC, Rocat, SteveCooks and 7 others like this.
  14. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This was a pleasant surprise! World Peace was a very good album, so hopefully he can keep that momentum going.

15. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

That is a phenomenal collection!

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

A good amount of B-sides it would seem - will check it out. I already own Bona Drag which I think is mainly singles from the same era.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hopefully he'll be inspired. World Peace was the first Morrissey album I didn't like a single song from. It stank!

mooseman, Spazaru and George P like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's some essential stuff on the 3cd set and it goes a lot further, up till 1995. But Bona Drag works very well as an album.

Disc one of the three CD set does work well as an expanded Bona Drag.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  19. stagnation

Echoing what others have said - the 3CD Set is a great introduction. You could also follow it up with the "Greatest Hits" which does have a few crossover singles but also covers the later period.

dee and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not sure about the 'US' title - 'High-School'?

Anyway, I said in the other thread that there would always be someone who would take a chance as he is a rare talent.

rebellovw and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll never write Morrissey off, but he has gone significantly downhill since Alain Whyte left and Jesse Tobias came in. His last album totally lacked subtlety and strong melodies. Lyrically it was humourless and charmless. I say this as a constant fan since the Smiths so I hope he's found some musical and lyrical inspiration from somewhere. I also hope he goes for a more subtle, less big sounding production.

3Dman, NorCal, Spazaru and 3 others like this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

High School here as well. What's the UK equivalent?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

Spazaru and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

College or sixth form. Or at least they were when I went.

AFOS and Jim B. like this.
  25. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

This seems contradictory, as two of the chief "notorious pub rock plodders" (Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer) were responsible for 90% of the songs on the albums you name check (two co-writes by Mark Nevin excepted). Jonny Bridgwood and Gary Day were very talented bass players. Woodie Taylor added the brushed restraint to the percussion on Vauxhall. Spencer Cobrin may have started as the "weak link," but he improved steadily with each release and became a respectable composer during the Maladjusted period.

Frankly, in total, I haven't found Jesse Tobias to be a patch on either Whyte or Boorer in the composition department and his guitar playing is not to my taste. I thought the lion's share of the best songs on the last album were Boorer co-writes, but, to my ears, there was a paucity of really great songs. Gustavo Manzur is a very talented musician, but I hope Morrissey reins in the urge to daub flamenco guitar workouts everywhere.

I am betting that BMG is gambling on the Christmas market having a dearth of new releases to compete for chart action. However, this is traditionally a time for compilations, catalog purchases and special holiday releases so Morrissey's album may very well be facing stiff headwinds. The question is whether Morrissey will be able to restrain himself from commenting early and abruptly on any perceived "failure" on BMG's part. His tendency to rain recriminations on his record company/distributor hit a new land speed record with World Peace. Between that and his ill-advised pandering for a re-release of "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" after the Bataclan attack, I'm actually surprised that a major took a flier on him again.

NorCal, bob60 and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.