New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Caused me to pause:
    "...he has since released a number of critically acclaimed follow-ups including Kill Uncle..." :wtf:

The title doesn't exactly bode well, but let's hope it's a better album than the last.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That won't be difficult. World Peace was like an impossible game of 'Find the Half Decent Tune'.

e.s. and manicpopthrill like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

I am hoping for more than just better than the last album, as I think that this is something Morrissey could achieve in his sleep. I would like something as good as (or better than) You Are The Quarry (the version with all those great b sides.) While I still think that album is flawed, I feel that is was so much better than his last album. Heck, I'd even take another Years of Refusal at this point.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    AlienRendel likes this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Impossible because they were all "full" decent? ;)

5. George P

George P Notable Member

It might be because it [Kill Uncle] was the first Morrissey album I bought on release day or it might be just because my taste differs from others, but I have always had a soft spot for Kill Uncle. :shrug:

Ayshpaysh, Man at C&A and sinfony like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nice one! But no.

7. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

It looks like he finally started his own label, Etienne Records. So maybe he'll fire himself next time? ;)

Love morrissey, instant purchase for me.

Boo Rad, granata and Man at C&A like this.
  8. gohill

gohill Senior Member

That's more the received reputation of course. There was some good writers in those various bands and those 2 albums were strong. I think the live band now seem to have a little more finesse but I am far from an expert. It was from 1986 seeing the Smiths until 2007 when I first saw Morrissey live. Have only seen him regularly since my wife starting taking me to his gigs a few years ago.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Perhaps it's a Bowie reference ;)

manicpopthrill and Man at C&A like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I liked staircase and kiss me a lot, and not much else. I'll be getting this but have low expectations.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The thing that's bugging me is the hyphen, what the flip is that doing there?

Exit Flagger and modernlvr like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You might be onto something there! Morrissey was 17 in 1977. High school age.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So will I. Morrissey always intrigues me!

14. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Well I think his last album was great. I liked it a lot and still enjoy playing those songs so I'm excited about this.

dtuck90 and Man at C&A like this.
  15. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

World Peace has a number of excellent tracks. Istanbul, Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, Smiler With Knife, Staircase and the incredible Scandinavia (weirdly only included as a bonus track). Kiss Me A Lot and Bullfighter are both completely throwaway, and should have been left on the cutting room floor, but otherwise I love the album.

granata, noahjld and jpmosu like this.
  16. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

About bloody time.

17. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

I absolutely LOVE this new title. It's very Morrissey. Reminds me of the pre-internet days when I worked in a record store. We would get a heads up on new titles through the industry papers or through the store's order system. Just Morrissey's name and the name of the release.
    Morrissey: Hulmerist
    Morrissey: Bona Drag
    Morrissey: Kill Uncle
    Morrissey: Your Arsenal

That time between the announcement and the first listening was always a time of intrigue and thinking what is he on about this time around?

I feel like this new title captures some of that old feeling.
    Morrissey: Low in High-School

dee, SweetTea, granata and 3 others like this.
  18. I've loved every album he's released this century, after coming to The Smiths really rather late (in the very early 2000's), despite having heard a smattering of things back in college (late 80's, for me). Have heard him live twice (~10 and 12 years ago, I'm guessing), and was totally blown away -- he's a powerful force on stage, and the band was as tight as a drum.

I've only dabbled with complications of material from his pre-2000 solo years -- but far as I'm concerned, everything he's recorded in the 2000's has been fantastic (even the b-sides comp Swords). If I don't pre-order this, I'm sure I'll have it in hand within the first month of its release.

On a side-note, a friend (who's loved The Smiths and Morrissey going back to the very beginning), bought his autobiography a couple years ago. I asked him what he thought of it, and he said: "it was ok, but Morrissey sure does like to complaining about stuff, practically the whole book almost". To which I about fell out of may chair laughing out loud. "WHAT DID YOU EXPECT???", I asked. "That's who Morrissey is, and what Morrissey does -- that IS Morrissey, head to toe."

Isn't that pretty much his 'brand' almost, by this point?

Anyway, I'm in for any new album, hell yeah!!

alan967tiger likes this.
  19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Will of course check it out, being a long time fan since the 80s. I thought World Peace was a bit better than Years of Refusal, which for me is his low point. I do not have high expectations though, since the past 20 years have been diminishing returns IMO. Lyrically, it has certainly gone downhill as I see it. But a new album is welcome.

Man at C&A and granata like this.
  20. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Hulmerist? You scared me there... I thought there was some ultra-rare Morrissey album that I had never heard before. Alas, it's a DVD. Phew.

21. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

Well it came out originally as a VHS.

But that's sort of the point. On some of those early notices, you couldn't tell if it was an album, a single, or a video collection that he was releasing. It added to the intrigue and mystery.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

It's a great DVD. Essential.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Looking forward to this new release, long time Smiths and Morrissey fan. :agree:

24. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

I'm one of the few who considers Bridgewood as the best bassist of Morrissey's solo career (ignoring Andy Rourke's brief contributions in the bass department) although I will admit Gary Day improved greatly as a player during his second stint in the band from 1999-2006. Also, it looks like Morrissey' current bass player (Mando Lopez) is quite talented himself and is probably better than Solomon Walker.

I wasn't a big fan of the Refusal/World Peace lineup (Boorer, Tobias, and the Walker Bros) and rank those two albums as the low points in Morrissey's career. I don't place all of the blame on the musicians though as Morrissey has been lyrically uninspired over the past several years.

25. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Hope it's good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.