New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't bought the album yet but I think I've heard just about all of it. My impression so far is that it's better than World Peace and it doesn't deserve the more scathing reviews it's had. Some of it is overproduced and too 'big' sounding for me. I don't want 'muscular' or 'rock' from Morrissey. I prefer it when his work has subtlety, lyrically and musically. Lyrically this is one of his worst. Musically it's mostly OK.

2. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I don't really agree that he's gradually turned into an old curmudgeon (I love that word), Morrissey has always held extreme views right from the start on certain matters, be it the Monarchy, animal rights. It's not like it's an act with him, he pretty much consistently abhors a lot of things and always had.

There are some interesting lyrics in the new album and I'm still trying to work out where he stands on some of the subjects as it's not completely obvious, to me at least, which I think makes it an intriguing listen.

3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Or facts, I guess. I get – you want to pass off your personal opinion as conventional wisdom. I'm not disputing your opinion -- you are more than free to dislike Paul Weller. Just don't claim your opinion is fact.

Robert C likes this.
  4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

oh dear. pedantic pedant. next.......

Lorin likes this.
  5. It's Felix

I thought the same, interesting lyrics too.

wallpaperman likes this.
  6. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Paul Weller is a good guy, I met him and the rest of The Jam, the week or the week after All Mod Cons was released at a record signing in Bristol. I still have that record today, one of the few things that I managed to keep hold of :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Bryan Harris and e.s. like this.
  7. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

I’ve been listening to it a about 5 times in a row now, I can’t seem to stop listening.This doesn’t often happen with other albums I listen for the first time.It somehow gets in your brain..

wallpaperman likes this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Oh dear, is right. It's a shame you're afraid of facts and incapable of acknowledging that your options aren't facts. You should run for office.

portlandjulian likes this.
  9. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

I can't believe in 2017 that cover is being covered up because of the 'Axe the Monarchy'........ how pathetic !

e.s. likes this.
  10. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Yo La Tengo are far better than when they started in the 80s. Fade is one of my favourite albums of theirs, if not my favourite period. Low started in the 90s but still seem pretty vital to me. Each album confronts and challenges. Some might argue for Depeche Mode, but not me.

11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

100% cosign on Yo La Tengo as an example of a band that only improves with age.

aseriesofsneaks and jalexander like this.
  12. It's Felix

pretty cool experience.

portlandjulian likes this.
  13. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Well, Thank you for thinking so :)

14. Pampered Menial

Pampered Menial Forum Resident

Talk about "lazy and careless AF". Good God, that is atrocious writing! The current state of vapid, Californiafied millennial so-called journalism is unbelievable. It's downright embarrassing.

Runicen and DesertHermit like this.
  15. Californified ? Not sure we want to call out specific states at the moment :tiphat:

BeardedSteven, e.s. and JL6161 like this.
  16. Pampered Menial

I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. I'm not literally "calling out" California. People using "AF" in journalism simply reeks of valley girlism.

Runicen and Mazzy like this.
  17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Whatevs.

18. Pampered Menial

:tiphat:

19. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Have the vinyl for home and the CD for the car. It’s a keeper!

20. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I’ve listened to the record fives times and today I spent most of the day on the road so had it on in the car and it probably played three times in its entirety. I am liking it more with every listen.

NorCal and Mazzy like this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It's funny, but I'm having the exact opposite reaction. On first listen, I was pleasantly surprised, but after further listens, I am struggling to find a melody that sticks with me aside from the the very hummable "Spent the Day In Bed."

22. Maybe you should take long drives through the wood of the Pacific Northwest with it. :tiphat: You, Morrissey, alone in the woods.

NorCal, DesertHermit and e.s. like this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

My favorite Paul Weller story: When he played the Paradise in Boston a few years ago, he wandered into the used record store next door, got a bootleg cassette of one of his previous local shows, and insisted on paying for it!

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I will certainly have that chance on Friday morning, so it could be that's what I need. With so many good albums coming out recently, though, there has been a lot to listen to, and most of it has been sticking, whereas this hasn't.

25. You know I'm being snarky (so what else is new). And it may not be your thing. I mean he's no Paul Weller :tiphat:

It's Felix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.