New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Not as bad as reviews claimed and much better the album prior, but far from his best or even the best of his 21st century comeback albums. Maladjusted is a better record, to be honest.

2. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I agree. I like it, too, although it took me a few extra listens compared to most Morrissey albums.

Although, for me, WPINOYB is my favorite album since ROTT. I'd have never believed I'd hold that opinion from the first couple of weeks that I digested that album. Somehow it's a 180 degree flip on that one.

3. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

It's a very good album, said that from the start, and I enjoyed World Peace before that as well.

He recently announced a show in Edinburgh at the Usher Hall which is a fine concert hall, and I went in to the website to check tickets in Friday morning when they went on sale. £61.50 and £71.50 are the two prices, so I quickly decided not to bother, as nearly £150 for me and the wife, who is not really a fan, is just too much for me.

bob60 and Somerset Scholar like this.
  4. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

That is expensive. I would like to see him live too but the prices of travel, hotel and concert are prohibitive.

bob60 likes this.
  5. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Also - saw him live twice in London and both were great shows - the album is superb.

6. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

His views consistently go against mainstream for good or for bad. He fought against royalty for 30 years, of course they will push him aside.

7. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

The politics nearly put me off but I grudgingly bought the album and was surprised to find I loved it. 7 months on, though, I never listen to it and I nearly always skip any tracks which come up on shuffle.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

His live shows are better than his albums.

Robert C likes this.
  9. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

His politics are all over the place, and maybe thats a good thing. You can hate half it. Or just respect the right for him to have his beliefs even though you dont personally respect his beliefs.

As for watching his live events? I think I'll settle for a DVD. Too many men in his crowds.

Karnak and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  10. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

It's always a good thing a popular artist that dares to go against mainstream.

11. alexpop

Any pics of his parents when they were young ?

12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Ordinarily I'd agree but some of the stuff Morrissey comes out with is beyond the pale.

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Like when Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens supported the fatwa on Salman Rushdie, for instance?

johnnyyen likes this.
  14. alexpop

Yes he was on the ball there.

15. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

If Morrissey hasn't realized after nearly 40 years in show business that controversial comments will cause controversy then I don't think he ever will.

16. alexpop

He just eats stodge apparently bread potatos nuts.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Uh, what?

18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He claimed he'd never drunk coffee in his life despite there being a published interview with Will Self where he's not only drinking coffee but commenting on how great the coffee is. :crazy:

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Maybe it was his sardonic humour, taking a swipe at the cappuccino kid perhaps. :D

20. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Like when he said to leave Weinstein alone?

21. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

A great record.....but his latest interview is just beyond parody. Having a lust and longing for a vision of a romantic working class of a bygone era is one thing and perfectly reasonable. If an attempt to wind up the media in the UK with views on s**t stirring brainless a******s
    Loved the album and live shows......but a shout out to 'Tommy Robinson' is just too much. Idiotic.

Robert C, TeddyB and johnnyyen like this.
  22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I doubt Morrissey has had much contact with the English working class in decades. After all, he's spent his entire life trying to escape or hide from them.

23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

LOL, yes, like Morrissey doesn't care about the media and causing controversy :biglaugh:

24. alexpop

What was his illness about ?

25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Malnutrition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.