New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

You claimed that none of what Morrissey says are controversial positions today which means that plenty of major artists speak against the monarchy in the U.K. for example and the only example you could come up with is Bobby Gillespie? :)

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

With good reason because Morrissey and Bobby G are both relics, stuck in a bygone age when some singer from a band mouthing off in the NME could cause a ripple or two. Now no-one cares. Who cares what Morrissey, or Billy Bragg or some other singer from the 80s, thinks about the Queen when the leader of the Labour Party, possibly the next Prime Minister of the UK, doesn't support the monarchy? So, yes, maybe artists today keep their opinions to themselves? So what? I don't care what Ed Sheeran thinks about Brexit, or whatever, these people aren't important anymore.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It's a bit like when Yusuf Islam went against mainstream opinion and supported the fatwa on Salman Rushdie, a lot of people went, "Who? Oh Cat Stevens, that guy from the 70s? I think I remember him..."

pathosdrama likes this.
  4. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

I disagree, you advocate artists as entertainers who just say a couple of songs so you can enjoy your evening, for me an artist should take a stance of political matters and oppose the ils of society. The fact that artists don't do that anymore (contrary to the 60s/70s/80s) just proves the commercialization of music and the excessive power the establishment has gathered (there is a whole PR machine that can easily push on the side anyone that doesn't follow mainstream views - we see this everyday and definitely with Morrissey who has been caricatured consistently by media).

5. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Oh behave yourself.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't advocate it at all, I'm just living in the 21st century, rock music, which is what Morrissey is in the business of, is just not that important anymore. No use pretending otherwise, reassuring though that might be.

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Much as I would love to continue this discussion, I've got a gig of culturally and socially irrelevant and redundant rock music to go to! Some other time...

Stuart S likes this.
  8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Thank you! Have a great day!

e.s. likes this.
  9. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Oh, wow.
    One shouts out to fascists and serial rapists, but criticizes the royal wedding and Obama so it's cool, uh?

10. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm still playing this record a lot. Nearly one year on. That is pretty impressive. A real grower, a keeper and now only £8 on Amazon UK for the vinyl. Ridiculous!

The MEZ likes this.
  11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

"Low in High School" (Deluxe Edition) vinyl - December 7.
    Disc: 1
    1. My Love, I'd Do Anything for You
    2. I Wish You Lonely
    3. Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage
    4. Home Is a Question Mark
    5. Spent the Day in Bed
    6. I Bury the Living

Disc: 2
    1. In Your Lap
    2. The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
    3. All the Young People Must Fall in Love
    4. When You Open Your Legs
    5. Who Will Protect Us from the Police?
    6. Israel

Disc: 3
    1. Lover-To-Be
    2. Back on the Chain Gang
    3. Never Again Will I Be a Twin
    4. This Song Doesn't End When It's Over

Disc: 4
    1. You'll Be Gone (Live)
    2. Rose Garden (Live at The Grand Ole Opry, Nashville)
    3. Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? (Live)
    4. I Didn't Know What to Do (Live)
    5. Judy Is a Punk (Live)

"Low in High School" (Deluxe Edition) vinyl - sleeve and tracklist at Amazon

[​IMG]

12. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh I am all over this. Hahahahaha that cover is fantastic.

14. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Yes, it is, isnt it. So, so, so much better than the original cover. :)

Rooster_Ties, bob60 and BeardedSteven like this.
  15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

So much better! (The cover)

ejluther likes this.
  16. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Aside from the previously released Chain Gang cover, Never Again Will I Be a Twin is a great track....pretty disappointed with other new songs, though.

17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Neither did Marr by any stretch but I think a lot of people look back at The Smiths through rose tinted glasses. Sure they wrote some fabulous singles and a couple of great albums but a hell of a lot of Morrissey's solo work sits happily alongside the very best of The Smiths.

Due to Morrissey's longevity and workrate there are now more exceptional Morrissey songs than there are by The Smiths. How anyone can like The Smiths and not find plenty of songs throughout the whole of Morrissey's solo discography that they also like is utterly beyond me.

18. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Big Morrissey fan here, but a lot of the Smiths has never really connected with me. Ofcourse there are some great tracks - but overall I prefer Morrissey solo a lot more.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  19. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

How somebody can not like “Istanbul” is beyond me.

serj, The MEZ and RnRmf like this.
  20. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Just dug this LP out and been spinning it a lot again in the past week. I really like this album a lot. I think Israel might be one of my favourite tracks that he or The Smiths have done.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Will give it a listen again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.