New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I'll come up with a tracklist later, but here's my imaginary album cover...
    I limited myself to having 5 minutes to design it, to give it the real feel of a 2017 Morrissey album cover.

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, ToneLa, bob60 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Great picture!

I hate it when pre-orders immediately charge your creditcard. I want the vinyl bundle and the 7" box/cassette/cd - but I don't want to pay 2 months in advance.

3. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

World Peace Is None of Your Business was tuneless and the first album by Moz that I actually hated. The title track wasn't horrible and that's about it. I agree with the person who said Alan Whyte is sorely missed. I love The Smiths and most of Morrissey's solo material, but now "I Know It's Over".

4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

So you don't think Morrissey made a pretty seamless transition into a solo career? That early work is pretty classic.

Robert C, oldturkey, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  5. oates

oates Forum Resident

During Morrissey's childhood era (and mine) comprehensive schools in Lancashire were often called 'High Schools' - this covered the ages 11 to 16 incidentally, not 17 years +. I don't think it has any exclusively US connotation. A comprehensive High School would be the lowest form of educational establishment in the UK (usually pretty rough), with Grammar schools, Private schools and Public Schools creaming off the brightest and / or richest kids. Therefore 'High School' sounds like classic Morrissey lyrical territory.

Paulwalrus and bob60 like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's a mixed bag - there are some fantastic albums and some dreadful albums and a few average ones!

You need to buy these three albums to start:

Bona Drag - collection of the early singles (some which sound very Smiths like as they feature 3/4 of the Smiths).

Vauxhall and I - his solo highlight I guess. Excellent album and two of the tracks would make a Smiths/Morrissey compilation and easily hold their own.

Your Arsenal - the great 'rock' solo album, solid throughout with some great highlights.

After that it's very much down to personal choice but there are certainly good songs scattered throughout the discography.

7. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Viva Hate is fantastic, I agree - far and away my favourite of his solo albums. Never understood all the love for Vauxhall & I....

But with Morrissey, everything he releases just serves to drive me back to The Queen Is Dead, Hatful Of Hollow or Strangeways. He never rose above those triumphs.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  8. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Pre-order links + formats/bundles if you want to buy straight from Moz:

[​IMG][​IMG]

UK

Morrissey Official online merchandise store | Morrissey UK

US

Morrissey Official Online Store | Morrissey USD

Formats:

£ 10 / $ 10 CD
    £ 20 / $ 20 LP (Clear)
    £ 20 / $ 20 French LP (Blue)
    £ 20 / $ 20 Spanish LP (Orange)
    £ 20 / $ 20 Japanese LP (Yellow)
    £ 8 / $ 10 MC
    £ 42 / $ 50 6 x 7" (Clear) Box Set

Bundles:

£ 38 / $ 47 CD + Album Tee + Red Pin Badge
    £ 48 / $ 57 LP (Clear) + Album Tee + Red Pin Badge
    £ 48 / $ 57 French LP (Blue) + Navy Ernst Tee + Blue Pin Badge
    £ 48 / $ 57 Spanish LP (Orange) + Black Ernst Tee + Orange Pin Badge
    £ 48 / $ 57 Japanese LP (Yellow) + White Ernst Tee + Yelow Pin Badge
    £ 36 / $ 43 MC + Police Tee + White Pin Badge
    £ 68 / $ 87 6 x 7" (Clear) Box Set + My Love Tee + White Pin Badge
    £ 55 / $ 65 6 x 7" (Clear) Box Set + MC + CD
    £ 75 / $ 75 4 x LP Bundle (All Colours)

Update 1: There is also a limited Green LP available from Record Store Day stores
    Update 2: The first 1000 online orders from HMV will receive a 12" x 12" art print

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    George P likes this.
  9. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I'm curious... but probably not too hopeful.

10. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I'm not able to repost it here due to the (political) content, but you might want to take a look at Norman Records' write-up:

Morrissey - Low In High School. Vinyl LP, CD, Tape. Norman Records UK.

Sort of reminds me of the record shop in High Fidelity.

"Er, I'm looking for a record for my daughter, for her birthday. I Just Called To Say I Love You? Do you have it?"
    "Yeah, we have it."
    "Great, can I have it then?"
    "No, no you can't."
    "Why not?"
    "Well, it's sentimental tacky crap, that's why not. Do we look like the kind of store that sells I Just Called To Say I Love You? Go to the mall."

bob60 likes this.
  11. Captain Caveman

Revised album tracklist:

Turned Out 5hite Again

Fanny Batter's All That Matters
    Dictation Dictator Dictato Potato God I'm Bored
    Max Wall's Mexican Wall's Wailing
    Don't Let The Barristers Grind You Down
    They Hate Me In England, They Don't Like It Upham
    It's Different Being Difficult
    Rich, Hard & Judicious
    Scum Off It (Press /Police/ Royals)
    Una Stubbed Her Toe Again
    Melvin's Brag
    Underbite Overbite Rambling Free
    No Record Label Store Day
    Talent Borrows, Something Something
    Stood In Shed
    Americants

12. Captain Caveman

Spazaru likes this.
  13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

You can always count on Mozzer to have songs and titles about hating the monarchy/government/police and authority figures/foreigners/sex/women/other countries/critics, romanticizing violence, making fun of deformities/disabilities...it's so cliche that it's beyond tired. In his younger days, his wit and clever lyric writing let him get away with it but over the last decade he's done little more than bludgeon listeners over the head quite bluntly. I'll always be a fan but if he retired tomorrow I wouldn't be sad (hell, I'd be glad).

MagneticNorthpaw and bob60 like this.
  14. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Why did Alan leave?

15. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I never heard why. I'm sure Moz isn't the easiest guy to work with for everyone. Evidently Boz Boorer either doesn't have better offers or he and Moz actually get along.
    Unfortunately, Alan co-wrote most of Morrissey's best late-career material.

DrBeatle likes this.
  16. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Looking at the artwork of the 7" box set, I think we should do a poll on whether Axe The Monarchy is a better title for the record. :p

DrBeatle likes this.
  17. Captain Caveman

Axe The Morrissey would be perfect

DrBeatle likes this.
  18. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I respectfully disagree. I think Strangeways would rank about 4th or 5th if it was a Moz solo album. Queen Is Dead and Hatful of Hollow would be difficult for anyone to compare to!

sunking101 likes this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Agree. I love The Smiths, but Morrissey was born to be a solo artist. It was inevitable.

It's easy to romanticize such a short run from a short-lived and revered band, but I suspect if they stayed together for the next 30 years I'd be reading the same dismissive comments here - just about The Smiths instead. I found this recent quote from Johnny Marr - about the last time he met with Morrissey - to be very illuminating:

I hope they never get back together. I think it would be a big mistake.

20. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Those are my favs. Rich, Hard & Judicious could just as well have been a Rick James album ca. 1989.

Back to the single, I need some more time with it, but I think the production sounds like a remarkable upgrade from WPINOYB.

The mastering was done at The Lodge Mastering by Emily Lazar with Chris Allgood assisting. Emily also mastered Ringleader of the Tormentors in 2006, as well as the B-side ("Action Is My Middle Name" BBC Session) on the 2013 single edition of "The Last of the Famous International Playboys".

21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Every time I see someone mention that Moz's solo stuff hangs with The Smiths catalog, I get more and more surprised at how apparently other people don't really appreciate Andy and Johnny quite the same as I. They are my favorite bass/lead guitar duo ever. Marr is my favorite guitarist ever. They are to me equally as much to do with what made The Smiths so great as Moz was, dare I say even more so. I'd say that about Strangeways as well, as even that album has so much of what I love about The Smiths that Moz's solo career never quite reached.

Moz's solo career is a consolation prize to me. A very good one, but one nonetheless.

ToneLa and DrBeatle like this.
  22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I had to get off that page because I'm at work and it was making me laugh too much.

Gavinyl and brunofaetten like this.
  23. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

What a voice. I'm loving the new song and I wish I could get the album right now.

Robert C and Paulwalrus like this.
  24. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

There are contradictory accounts and a fair amount of hearsay. Morrissey claimed in his book that Alain wanted to appear on album covers and was intending to write a memoir. I think the former is gilding the lily around the fact that Alain had started his side project, Red Lightning, just before You Are The Quarry came out. He left the Quarry tour in Europe and video of his last gig showed him to be "not quite right." While there has been no definitive accounting of his departure - barring Boz Boorer writing on his old tour journal (now long gone) that Alain's "illness was apparent" - speculation is that he was severely depressed. He apparently tried (or asked) to rejoin the tour later that fall, which didn't come to pass. Similarly, his songs were used - and he recorded with the band - for Ringleader of the Tormentors, but was not asked to join the tour. That seemingly cemented Tobias as his permanent replacement live. Supposedly, Alain tried to join the recordings for Years of Refusal, but was barred from the studio, despite having provided (again) the lion's share of the co-writes. The rumor is that Boz was sent out to the parking lot to send him off. Fin.

All that said, barring Morrissey's account (to be fair, not the gold standard for unvarnished truth), nothing has been definitively put on the record. Alain's only comments publicly have been to the effect of "things happen for a reason." Whatever transpired, it's a pity.

25. Captain Caveman

Tell me about it! My co-worker asked why I was having a heart attack.

Just some of my favourites:

I Have Found My Niche, Now Let Me Find Yours

I Only Ever Smile When A Journalist Dies

If You Think I'm Going To Be Nice To You Because It's Your Birthday, Think Again

Chinese Man on The Scaffold

Read My Book Aloud To me

Morecambe Spastics Reprise

Dear Butcher, In Hell

Go Back to India, My Lovely Friend

If I Blink My Eyes Often Enough, I Don't Have To Look At Your Stupid ****ing Moon Face You Prick

The Mexicans will nod to this

DCI Burnside In Sepia

Now I'll Never Die In The Arms Of Alan Bates

Derek Bentley Memorial Garden In The Rain

Cheap Sideburns Are The Least Of Your Worries

It Only Comes Out In A Trickle, These Days

Tattoo Of His Saggy Wife

My Verruca Has Flared Up Again

I Won't Marry A Moors Murderer A Second Time

Gavinyl, Runicen, ejluther and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.