New Music (bands that started this century)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sprague Dawley, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct.
    However...considering how time seems to fly these days..... you may not feel the same when you are middleagesquid.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Agree,:agree: but taking forum content into account - Just happy to see 21st Century music at all.:)
    Agree on Blossoms and St. Vincent.:uhhuh:
    Taking it from 2010, I'll add:

The Shelters (2015) Indie/Alternative Rock
    The Struts (2009) - Glampop
    K. Flay (2014) - Genre-blending (hip-hop, rap, rock..take Nine Inch Nails combine w/Lorde)
    She's on Tom Morello's solo release Atlas Underground and Mike Shinoda solo Post Traumatic.
    Odeza (2012) - Electronic/Chill
    Rufus Du Sol (2010) - Dance
    The Chainsmokers (2012) - Electropop

Cage The Elephant and even, Catfish and the Bottlemen formed earlier than 2010.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    rancher likes this.
  3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

[​IMG]

Breaks my heart to admit it, but the last "new" band or artist to impress me came out in the late 90's (Queens Of The Stone Age, The White Stripes)
    (although I thought Amy Winehouse was good)

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Although, I do not consider the year 2000(or 2000-2009), a Time Period of 'New' Music, Doves is my Favorite Music Artist who started out in 2000 or later, and had 4 Great Albums from 2000-2009:

Lost Souls
    The Last Broadcast
    Some Cities
    Kingdom of Rust.

The 3 Members took a break after the 2009 release of 'Kingdom of Rust', although stayed active apart and about 4-5 years ago, the Williams Brothers formed a Band, Black Rivers to release one Album and Jimi Goodwin released one Album.

Q Magazine this Month had a feature about Expected Music in 2019 and included an Article on Doves 3 Members Reforming to work on a New Album finally, which has me Stoked, as they were better together, than apart(although their individual Albums were decent, something was just missing on both Albums).

Below is one of my Favorite Doves Songs that did not even make their Best of 2 CD/DVD Set(also included B-Sides).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. LilacTeardrop

Forgot to include these to my earlier post:

Highly Suspect (2009) - Hard Rock
    Nothing But Thieves (2012) - Indie/Alternative
    Saint Motel (2007) - Indie Pop
    Mike Posner (2008) - Hip Hop/Electropop
    Robert Delong (2010) - Electronic/House
    The Blue Stones (2011) - Blues Rock
    Bleeker (2016) - Alternative/Garage/Blues

Newest: Pretty Viscious (2018) - Britpop/Punk

There are VG+ new artists; it just becomes tougher to find b/c mass media push their own agendas.

6. LilacTeardrop

I should've posted this video for Pretty Viscious
    This is for people who don't think there's any more rock...there is!:evil:

And, 2014 - Creeper - Goth/Rock

I'm figuring this is place to put new music - for any, like me, seeking to discover some. That's a thirst that's never fully quenched and is fine w/me!
    Means I'm still breathing:winkgrin: & there's still more music...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Davido likes this.
  7. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I think we should shift the cutoff to "2010" for new music, and even that is pushing it.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You are probably right about pushing it, as in 1995, I would not have thought of an Album or Song from 1985 as 'New Music'. That would have been like saying in 1995, "How about that New Song, 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' I heard the other day on the Radio"?

Even the way most people consume Music has changed in the past 10 years, as Streaming is the Mainstream way to listen to Music now, but 10 Years ago, it was Downloads and 15 years ago, CDs were still popular even with iTunes having been around since 2000.

lc1995 likes this.
  9. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Right, 1985 and 1995 are worlds apart in terms of music. Even 1989 and 1992 were, in both rock and hip hop. Things might not move as fast now, but 10 years is still a lot.

CDs still sold pretty well even 10 years ago.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  10. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

that's some good guitar rock there

11. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Seriously?? JUST from this century???
    Woo boy, in alphabetical order:
    The Airborne Toxic Event
    Arcade Fire
    The Avett Brothers
    Julien Baker
    Band Of Horses
    Bat For Lashes
    Beach House
    The Black Keys
    Blood Orange
    Bon Iver
    Burial
    Cage The Elephant
    Car Seat Headrest
    Eric Church
    CHVRCHES
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Dua Lipa
    Editors
    Kathleen Edwards
    Sky Ferreira
    Fleet Foxes
    Florence & The Machine
    The Gaslight Anthem
    Gotye
    Grimes
    Haim
    The Hold Steady
    Interpol
    Japandroids
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    Killers
    Kendrick Lamar
    Ray Lamontagne
    LCD Soundsystem
    Local Natives
    M83
    MGMT
    Janelle Monae
    Kacey Musgraves
    The National
    Paramore
    Phoenix
    The Postal Service
    Pusha T
    Damien Rice
    Rodrigo y Gabriela
    Silversun Pickups
    The Strokes
    Sun Kil Moon
    Vampire Weekend
    The War On Drugs
    The Weeknd

The fact that a lot of these bands are already broken up, disbanded, or culturally irrelevant should probably tell you something about a 19-year scope of music.

rancher likes this.
  12. ivtoon

ivtoon Forum Resident

Richc -
    Excellent list of some very very good bands/artists.

And having seen almost all of them in person, I can attest to their abilities to put on some great shows.

I would quickly add Phoenix and Beach House to the list. Especially the former - Phoenix has consistently released excellent and inventive albums for over 10 years.

Vampire Weekend has produced music that is superior to almost anything else for the past few decades.

rancher likes this.
  13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

My faves from your list above, I have seen many of these as well, all great performances for the most part

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The Spring Standards. I adore this band. Wish they were more active, though. They seem to be branching off into other projects more and more over the past couple of years.

15. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

I wonder if some people here would have felt that, in 1979, describing releases from 1960 as "new music" would have been appropriate...

LilacTeardrop and RichC like this.
  16. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

Carla Dal Forno is one of my favorite new artists, great debut album in 2016 ... Carla Dal Forno - "You Know What It's Like" (2016) ... and a couple EP gems since, especially the amazing The Garden, she has a new single out on her own new label, and hopefully a new full length later this year ...

17. Davey

The new French pop band Le SuperHomard is a lot of fun on their debut Meadow Lane Park, one of my favorite records so far this year, the song below sounding a bit like Stereolab ...

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Why does it matter? How about just letting people post music without nitpicking it to death.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  19. Eaglesfan9

Eaglesfan9 Forum Resident

Guys,
    There is no reason for me to try to put together a list based on the number of lists already in this thread. However, I have not seen my new favorite band on any of these lists.
    If you haven’t heard/seen them I highly recommend Fruition from Portland. Formed in 2009 I think. 5 albums and a couple of EPs.
    Kind of folk/rock (although I hate labels like that) with killer mandolin.
    Jump in with the album “Labor of Love.
    Enjoy.

20. Davey

Another fairly new band I love is The Left Outsides, their All That Remains record from last year was and continues to be a big favorite, one of the most striking album covers too. Alison's solo debut record last year is also a big favorite, but with more of an ambient drone sound. Below description from their bandcamp page ...

The Left Outsides are Mark Nicholas and Alison Cotton, a husband and wife duo based in London, England whose atmospheric, hypnotic songs echo Nico's icy European folk, pastoral psychedelia and chilly English fields at dawn...

But most of these bands show up in the best new albums of the year threads, that's really the place to frequent and post if interested in new artists making good new music.

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think Coldplay qualify, since their first hit song was in 2000.

Of course they have pretty much dropped the ball with their last few albums, but for a short time I thought they were excellent.

Also, I believe I have mentioned Ned Collette and Wirewalker a number of times - they definitely qualify.

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Kinda exactly my point.
    I also used the illustration (in another thread, maybe?) that, by this metric, "new" music on the day Kurt Cobain died would include Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Frampton Comes Alive, and the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever.

lc1995 likes this.
  23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Both acts are already on my list??

I really like Phoenix but I've been disappointed with everything since Bankrupt.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

But I would say that there were a much greater stylistic changes in popular music between 1960 and 1979 than any evolution that's taken place between 2000 and 2019.

Anyway, enough with the complaints about the term "new music". The OP made it quite clear that he is after acts of the 21st century, so let's just focus on that without stressing over whether they should be called "new".

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  25. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident Thread Starter

since I started the thread in October, bugger-all new bands have entered my heavy rotation wheelhouse pantheon of greatness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.