New Neil Young album, The Monsanto Years, streaming at NPR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It's sad to watch great artists squander their talents and become buffoons, but it's happened to greater artists than Neil. It's usually the result of the arrogance that comes from success in one walk of life that the artist assumes naturally translates into another (e.g. politics), when in fact the artist knows next to nothing about it. And because their focus wanders away from their true calling, we get naive, didactic garbage like Monsanto Years.

klaatuhf, Surly, aroney and 4 others like this.
  2. Unlike others I don't try to pretend to know what someone's "true calling" is or attempt to dictate what an artist should do with their time or their talents. I didn't enjoy Storytone that much, I've been enjoying this one. For me, it doesn't need to go further than that.

highway, chodad, Mij Retrac and 4 others like this.
  3. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

The album DVD film from Shakey Pictures is not directed by Bernard Shakey but Daryl Hannah.

4. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

3 songs I really enjoyed: New Day For Love, Big Box & I Don't Know. Zero awful songs. A few songs that left me, Meh. Overall, Neil still makes albums that I can get down with.

5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Listening now. Hoping this is not Fork in The Road - Part Duex. :D

6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

New Day For Love - This rocks. Love the refrain.

LavidDange likes this.
  7. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Wolf Moon - sounds like a Harvest Moon outtake sung by a 90 year Neil Young. I absolutely love it.

2 tracks in...and i am feeling like a fan boy...

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I cannot get it to sync between iTunes and my iPhone. Grr.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Beatrice Shakey?

10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

People Want to Hear About Love - Ham handed lyrics. Little bit of that Living with War chorus background.... but I love the rough guitar work, it totally redeems the song for me...

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I do. 'Fork' is my favorite Neil album since 'Silver Und Gold'.

12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I like it too. Was a lame attempt at humor...

13. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Big Box - Neil goes for the jugular... love the line "Too Big too Fail, to Rich for Jail"

Paul Mazz and LavidDange like this.
  14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Working Man is great with it pretty much being a musical rewrite of Time Fades Away. Wonder if that is one of the tracks they have rehearsed?

15. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

A Rock Star Bucks A Coffee Shop - Catchy. Rocks along at a loping pace. Awkward rhyme in the refrain doesn't cost it much of it's charm...

16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Working Man - Nice rocker lyrics don't seem to be forced to fit... refrences Farm Aid... another keeper.

Rules of Change - Pretty Generic. No problem with it.. like the Tom Tom drumming.

Monsanto - I like the buzzing bee guitar work and sound effects, it keeps it interesting. a little choppy. Interesting strings at end. Lyrics are interesting. "I don't care what the bible said so long ago..."

If I Don't Know. - Bluesy guitar work...fades into the ther... good closer.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Downright apocalyptic track.

LavidDange likes this.
  18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

OK. Final Review- Sorry to be so annoying. Lyrics can be a little forced to fit... I find the lyrics to be much more clever than Living with war or Fork in the raod. Some good lines mixed into the "Forced to fit" lyrics. Kind of like "The Restless Consumer" off of Living with war. Musically this is verysatisfying. A garage rock album... I prefer it to Fork in The Road...and Living With War. This is a topical album.. it won't be for everyone but I give it a 4 out of five stars.

*I am not a fan boy per se. (example: I did not care for Storytone and Le Noise) :shh:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    LavidDange likes this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I think it is my favorite on the album... Neil gets some real shots in on this track. :goodie:

20. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Am I the only one who doesn't like this new Neil Young album? Just didn't get into it, the lyrics are terrible.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My free copy (through purchase of a concert ticket) arrived this afternoon. I like it. I can almost smell the Horse.

No Bull likes this.
  22. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I was all prepared to hate this. The lyrics are icky and that Starbucks song is dopey, but listening to in in full in my living room, I'm pleasantly surprised. I think this is one if those times Neil goes up to bat with his eyes closed and hits a triple.

23. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

It's Living With War meets Fork In The Road and I mean that in a good way.

wavethatflag, No Bull, INSW and 2 others like this.
  24. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

I believe she goes by Beulah.

mark ab likes this.
  25. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Is this available without the DVD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.