New Neil Young album, The Monsanto Years, streaming at NPR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I though this too, in 1978 when I heard in the field of opportunity it's plowing time again

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. highway

highway Forum Resident

Neil is not an artist like Dylan - an artist because of his lyric (Dylan is an artist for both lyric and music of course). Neil sometimes hits on the lyrics but he's considered an artist for the melody and the kick ass crunchy guitar and the fact he doesn't care if fans think he's an artist.

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Most hugely successful artists lose their focus after 'making it.' How are they expected to stay hungry or driven? Some try or make a decent go of it. But it happens to the best of them, just the way it goes.

fourfeathers likes this.
  4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have listened to this twice now on the NPR stream. So far it has not clicked with me. Its not bad, but not something that I would see myself listening to on a regular basis. I'll probably give it a couple of more chances, but not sure I am going to go forward with a purchase.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  5. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

My "free" CD's are on the way in the mail - a bonus for purchasing concert tickets

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Meh. Underwhelmed on first listen. Nothing he hasn't already done better elsewhere in his catalog.

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

...and a good way to pump up those CD sales stats. ;)

8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

OK, I've been a Neil fan since the 1970s and still enjoy much of his music and have endured many of his missteps. But I really haven't liked what I've seen or heard lyrically and musically with this new album, though I haven't heard the whole thing yet. With Neil I usually give every new release a listen or two, but now, I just can't. Too many of his recent albums haven't done much for me and I don't feel like going through that again. Who says fans can't get off the treadmill with artists? Yeah, I guess I could be missing a classic. But then I might have something to discover down the road when I'm in the right mood.

Enjoy the new album!

9. First, this is such a well recorded and layered album. This should really be the new blueprint for how a rock 'n' roll album should sound: dynamic, fluid and lively. Not kidding. The sound is ambient and in your face at the same time. Lovely!

That said, these songs ****ing suck. I love you, Neil, but you're not even trying.

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Any info on a vinyl version?

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

No blu Ray ? This guy drives me nuts! He's all over the place. Blu Ray , DVD, cd , stick with something will yer.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  12. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I think he is putting his hi res eggs in the Pono basket. It is available there in 24/192 for $22 or included when you buy the Cd/DVD/T-shirt combo on his site for 32.99

Beaneydave likes this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I enjoyed watching the DVD last night. It's a good document of the recording process.

As for the music, I think I need to live with it for a while as I'm not really sure what to make of it.
    Like most of his recent albums (meaning anything after Broken Arrow), it hasn't blown me away.

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I listened to the album and then watched the DVD. I like it. The album is loaded with memorable melodies and hooks. Often for me the sign of an album I won't listen to much going forward is the songs all blending together, so nothing is memorable when the disc ends. Definitely not the case here - I wound up spontaneously whistling and humming bits of songs all night. It's not "On the Beach" (what is?) but I can see this album remaining in the rotation and I am looking forward to seeing these songs done live in person next month.

wavethatflag and No Bull like this.
  15. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

I don't like how he pronounces Monsanto.

It's like sand, not song.

So annoying.

Sounds like a newscaster who says all Spanish words with an accent.

DmitriKaramazov and lambfan68 like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna run to the store for this one. I liked "Storytone" but this is one sounds like Neil rolling over and scratching himself.

bonus likes this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Does the DVD have all of the album in High-res? What is on the DVD?

18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

very mixed reviews thus far. I listened a second time..and still enjoyed.

wavethatflag and LavidDange like this.
  19. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

DVD has 48khz 24bit sound. There are 3 "Gravy" bonus behind the scenes videos, two of which were already uploaded to Youtube.

I love the ambience mic in the bathroom, cool scene of Neil leaving the theatre at the end and getting in Lincvolt.

No complaints, DVD looks good upscaled by my Blu-ray player on my Panasonic plasma tv.

20. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

My only complaint is that Warner Music blows at getting us the Pono album download link for those of us that ordered it from Neil's online store. They had the same problem with "Storytone".

Instead of still waiting for the link, I just bought it on Pono for $21.99, I really wanted to listen to it on my Pono player.

21. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Listened to it twice now and not a fan although it is slightly better than STORYONE. Another one I will probably not purchase.

22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Yup, waiting for that link. Have not really dived into the album beyond the pre-release singles because I figured I'd just wait for the Pono files or at least the CD/DVD to show up.

23. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I agree with that.

Thing is, with Neil Young there's no rhyme or reason. Sometimes he's fully engaged and it sucks. Sometimes it's a goof and it works. Other times the opposite is true. Yes, the lyrics are terrible, but a young band of worshippers get to be the Horse for a while and the whole thing just has an air of going for it.

My top five Neil of the 21st century are Americana, Fork In The Road, Greendale, LWW, and this, so YMMV.

JoeRockhead and No Bull like this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Several of the posts here praising Neil's current dreck simultaneously devalues his craft - his lyrics are usually pretty bad anyway, he never was very articulate, and so on. Maybe it's easier to lower the bar than hoping he will return to former glories or being concerned that he is unlikely to do so. Just a friendly observation.

bonus, highway and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. Yeah, I pick up each new Neil Young because I think he is capable of another great album. After all, it was only 2012 since Psychedelic Pill. Or...wow, what if that was the last good one (not great one) that he was capable of?

This new one sure makes Storytone sound like a classic. At least Storytone has "When I Watch You Sleeping," and "Say Hello To Chicago," (solo version) which I consider classic Young. This one, I've heard it twice now, and it sounds more like a classic case of agenda over art. Too bad, because sonically this album is the best thing I've heard all year. Probably Neil's best sounding rock album ever. Seriously. On a great pair of cans this thing swims in the ears.

wavethatflag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.