New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

See my post above.
    It's not that Neils not being upfront about things, it's just that "sourced from Analog Masters" does not necessarily mean that there wasn't a digital step in the process.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Sure. And the phrase doesn't imply it either : the key word here is "sourced".

baconbadge likes this.
  3. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

It says

'Mastered from original Analog tapes'

Chris Bellman confirmed on here the source for Hitchhiker was all analog so he may do again.

vudicus likes this.
  4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No one's denied the source for the live Roxy was analog.
    The sleeve does say that the release was mixed at Redwood Digital by John Nowland, so perhaps there was indeed a digital step in mixing (which is fine with me, as the record is fabulous).

ssmith3046, swedgin and vudicus like this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I agree, it doesn't imply it either.
    I'm just explaining that in the past Neil has used that method and it could be the case for this too.
    That would still be "sourced from the analog masters", with or without some pro-tools editing/mixing involved.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Download code ?

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

No. I don’t think Neil has ever given download codes with his vinyl?

8. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

When I pre-ordered Hitchhiker from the Warner Music Canada website, I got emailed a 320kbps download of the songs on release day. I think that's the only way to get a download with Neil's vinyl. Note - I'm not sure if they do it for all. It specified in the listing that that record came with the download and it hasn't stated that for subsequent releases.

9. This really is fantastic.

dtuck90 likes this.
  10. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

What’s the poster/print like?

I neglected to get this because I’m waiting for amazon who are giving autorip...and it’s cheaper..

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It’s the same as the image inside the gatefold. Never worth the extra money

12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

To be painfully precise, the print is a somewhat blurry 25,5 x 20,4 cm black & white picture of the band on stage. Unlike the front cover, it isn't a particularly nice shot.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Disappointing to hear that. I didn't bother with the RSD edition today since I couldn't justify the extra price for just a print, even though I love the cover sleeve (and presumed it would be of that).

14. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Can anybody confirm the exact wording of the "mastered from the analog tapes" or "SOURCED from the analog tapes..." Which is it? Nowhere near a dealbreaker for me, but just curious.

15. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Is there confirmation that the RSD price is guaranteed to be higher than next week? That seems silly.

16. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Speculating here, but if there are edits on the final release, i.e.- different song order or downtime between songs shortened, then I'd say it had to be edited in the digital domain. No way they're taking a razor blade to the original tapes and compiling a new reel to cut from... which, is fine by me.

17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It says: Mastered from original analog tapes.

18. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

There’s a little box on the back of the album (right corner) that says “Source. Mastered from original analog tapes”. On the back of the vinyl Paradox the box says “Source. Mastered from 192/24 digital”.

lucan_g likes this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It doesn’t say sourced from analog masters. It says “mastered from original analog tapes.”

Cassius and vudicus like this.
  20. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Appreciated! Very good to hear — have to love whacky Uncle Neil and the care he puts into this stuff.

21. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Really digging this release. Just finished side TWO. Wonder why they didn't play "Borrowed Tune"? Any hardcore Neil fans know?

22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Borrowed Tune was a "leftover" that was only added to the Tonight's The Night album to flesh it out at a later date - it wasn't part of the original planned running order. Same for Lookout Joe and "Come On Baby...".

Rockinrob, qtrules and swedgin like this.
  23. Yep, and Borrowed Tune, while it was performed on the TFA tour, wasn't recorded by the time of the Roxy shows. It would be recorded in December 1973, maybe as a result of Neil hearing it again as part of issuing Time Fades Away.

24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Ahh, fair enough, I was just going by what others had said.

It's nice that they add this information to the release, but it would be better if they were more specific.
    The wording is still quite vague and could be interpreted in different ways.

For instance, many people are assuming this was cut from analog tape.
    It does seem the most likely scenario as other Neil LP's have clearly stated they were cut from digital, whereas this does not.
    If it said "cut from analog masters" there would be no room for misinterpretation, but this could still be cut from a digital master.
    The reason I say this is because...

The "master" is usually the term for the final mix.
    "Original tapes" could mean the multitracks they used to create "the master", hence "mastered from original analog tapes".
    It doesn't actually tell you what medium it was mastered to, only what it was mastered from.
    Most likely mastered to Analog, but it could be a 24/192 file too. We don't know for certain.
    Someone also pointed out earlier that it says mixed at redwood digital which isn't surprising as we know Neil sometimes uses pro-tools for editing and mixing.

Hopefully as someone said earlier, Bernie Grundman will show up and shed some light on what he cut the record from.
    Of course, if it sounds great then it doesn't even matter, but it's still something that nerds like myself find fascinating. :edthumbs:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    James Bennett and Nielsoe like this.
  25. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i was hoping this would be streaming on NYA this weekend. maybe it'll come out tomorrow?

is the regular CD release on monday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.