New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You’re right. I’m with you on every word. If Grundman doesn’t shed a light on this it will be interesting to hear from fellow SHF members what info the cd release will contain. If this has the same “mastered from original analog tapes” info we’re kinda lost. If however it states a digital source as a master I would say it’s rather certain the vinyl was cut direct from analog. If there is any logic to the info that is.

vudicus likes this.
  2. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

It doesn't sound analog anyway

3. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

It was $25.99 for me today and I see $20.99 on Amazon, although Amazon often sells below list.

baconbadge likes this.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Forum Resident

Hey guys.

Rest easy...........

There was NO DIGITAL......... It was mixed from analog multitrack to 1/4 analog. I cut from those tapes.

CB

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Many thanks for clearing that up for us and I apologise for naming the wrong cutting engineer!

James Bennett likes this.
  6. No bother with the vinyl for me. I'll be purchasing the 24/192 files, but I have a bad ass DAC, so I expect a good sound regardless. :)

James Bennett likes this.
  7. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

:whistle:

ramdom, Cassius, izgoblin and 4 others like this.
  8. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Roll out the barrel...and mellow my mind! This LP set is everything I had hoped for. :righton:
    And I was going to wait for the CD.

ssmith3046 and Macman like this.
  9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

It’s a phenomenal sounding release, thank you. May I ask if the Fillmore West 1969 Dead RSD set is AAA? The notes mention Plangent tape correction so I assume that means no. Doesn’t matter of course, it sounds terrific.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've been determined not to spend, and I've cut back a LOT since last November. Today, while surfing around, it was brought to my attention that this was not only a Crazy Horse-related recording, but involved Chris Bellman, who's work always sounds thunderous on my old 1978 Jensen speakers.
    When I posted my interest publicly, in the RSD thread, a very good friend here PM'd me, educating me to Amazon's low price, plus I get 5% back with my Amazon card.
    Then I see this thread, which I have also successfully ignored, until today.
    Then Chris Bellman himself drops in to verify it's 100% analog !
    I don't know what's left. Amazon delivery person is a gorgeous female that's very friendly and uninhibited ?
    Nah.

Cassius, struttincool, adamos and 4 others like this.
  11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

But you are supporting a local record store rather than a massive multi conglomerate (who I buy lots of stuff from).

12. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Ok dammit, I just ordered it.
    I hope you all feel bad for enabling my vinyl habit! :winkgrin:

Nielsoe and Myke like this.
  13. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Great job Chris, it sounds fantastic....

14. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I have no doubt it sounds absolutely fantastic, but does it really matter if it was 100% analog or not?

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

For some of us, yes.

The Quiet One and Subvet like this.
  16. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The non-RSD edition will probably still be cheaper in your record store though. At least that was the case with Decade on RSD last year. I learnt my lesson with that.

marcb likes this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

First of all: It does in fact sound incredible! It has that “like being there” effect and that’s just about the biggest thumps up you can give any recording. If this wasn’t 100% analog however there was a chance it could sound even better. It being 100% analog, to me at least, means I can rest assured that this is the best it’s ever gonna sound and that’s just nice to know. Other than that you’re right: Just enjoy the thing!!!!

Efus likes this.
  18. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

This tour has been a holy grail for me since I first read about it in Shakey and Roxy doesn't disappoint in any way. So much so I happily paid a premium for the RSD version to have it a few days early.

Having the Rainbow bootleg and knowing the album was recorded live I knew the arrangements would be similar to the LP but the live setting and the raps and a more impassioned vocal performance take it to another level, the version of Walk On is definitive as well.

boboquisp and Nielsoe like this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You will not be dissapointed I promise you. This is like a trip with a time machine to the Roxy in 1973. This is an extremely well recorded set of songs and the pressing is top notch as well and it should blow any digital version away.

JoeRockhead and BeauZooka like this.
  20. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

There are so many variables at work in the recording, mixing, mastering, and vinyl master cutting stage that there is absolutely no way that any of us could call out reliably that there was a modern, high quality digital processing stage at some point in the process, especially with an album recorded to tape, which is where a lot of the tape deliciousness happens. If you’ve been in professional recording environments, you know modern high end digital can sound fantastic, as does all analog. And with CB cutting the lacquer - I seriously doubt you could reliably discern the source, again especially with the first stage being tape. The fact that people were saying this release sounds digital is a great example of this.

All of that said, it is always great to hear the care went into staying with the original tapes and going all analog, it is always appreciated from me.

This record is absolutely fantastic, and is now among neil’s best albums. It is interesting comparing this to the original Tonight’s the night, as I think this set is equa to it, but a very different experience. It has a joyous celebration vibe to it, and as stated before nils is on fire! Some very cool pedal steel variations from Ben Keith as well. Neil was in the zone for sure. This is an A+ album in my book and one that I think will be in constant rotation around here, much like the original Tonight’s the night

21. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Now that the analog / digital debate is behind us, I have a couple of burning questions : I have no clue what the Roxy's history was but would be curious to know what NY's banter about naked girls and dancing alludes to. Was it a strip club or something ? And what's all this talk of Miami Beach ?

22. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I have yet to hear a record cut from highres digital to equal or surpass an analog cut from the original tapes. That's why I always like to know whether it's AAA. If it's digital I'd rather buy the files directly instead of having them converted to lacquer-vinyl-element.

hazard and James Bennett like this.
  23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And she loves Neil Young too.....

Myke likes this.
  24. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

It’s cheaper than it looks

Neil had a big banner above them that said “welcome to miami beach”, and there was his wooden indian with a flying v (1958 korina one neil played on the time fades away tour if it matters), along with random palm trees. This recording backs up that it was probably pretty weird to see as an audience member coming to see neil young at a small club in 1973. Remember Harvest was “Your mom loves it” huge. He was Adele there for a minute!

There may be some story behind the stuff he’s saying, but I’m thinking it’s all inside jokes. The roxy opened in 1973 (I believe these were some of their first shows). I’ve always thought the miami beach references were some kind of comment on 1973 America, which not to get political, but maybe felt at least somewhat like now. Miami beach has always been kind of vapid, glossy and plastic

Mrtn77 likes this.
  25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This release is absolutely essential for any NY fan. I purchased the RSD release as I could not wait for the general release. The card that comes with it and the inners are poor but the pressing quality and sound are very impressive.
    At this point if they can churn out digital vinyl with this sound quality then I don't mind so much, who knows though it could be AAA. This will definitely be on heavy rotation along with my other purchases.

JoeRockhead and dtuck90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.