New Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Album ("Skeleton Tree") & Film (September 9, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Laemmle.com »

This is, first and foremost, a performance film of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds performing songs from their new album. The record has an intimacy and starkness that the film’s photographic style will reflect. It will be shot in black and white, color and 3-D. The idea is to create an experience that is immersive but also elegant, that feels both immediate and archival.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds’ new album will be released at midnight into 9th September 2016, with the film making its premiere on 8th September. Contrary to usual practice, none of the tracks from the album will be serviced to media or released as singles ahead of its release date, thus making the screening of the film the first medium through which anyone anywhere will be able to hear & experience the songs.​

This is exciting news. I hope this doesn't sound horrible, but I'm interested in seeing how the recent death of his son plays out in the new album. If anyone could take something as awful as the death of one's own child and make a powerful work of art out of it, it's Mr. Cave.

GodShifter, ShawnX, Moshe and 12 others like this.
  2. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

Wow.

I've just got into Push The Sky Away. I love it, I think it's fantastic.

Can't wait for this. I know what you mean, I guess some of the greatest art is borne of the deepest pain. I'm sure it will be very dark.

3. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I also look forward to hearing and seeing Nick back on the scene.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

The one and the only, Nick Cave, one of my alltime favorites.

Just wow really, what else could I say.
    Looking forward to the new album as "Push The Sky Away" was so wonderful, epic masterpiece of work.
    Will be really exciting to wait for the new stuff and I just can't wait for it.
    It will be truly interesting (hasn't it always been the case with Nick Cave) to hear the new songs and what has come since there was so much pain and sorrow within Nick's family.

Moshe and Group of One like this.
  5. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

[​IMG]

polchik and Tlay like this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Cave has been phenomenally good at turning his life experiences into songs up until this point but I hope that he hasn't let the introspection get too much of a hold on him this time around. I'd rather he kept a grip on his sobriety than disappeared into a pit. Quite apart from anything else, it might be a very difficult journey to take with him.

7. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Is there a name for the album/film? The website says "Spread the word about this film!" Is it just called Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds?

8. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I've been waiting a while for news of new Nick Cave music, and I thought I would have to wait even longer after I learned of the death of his son. I feel for him and his family, but I'm glad he's finally back, and I'm interested in seeing how he deals with the death of his son. His music has always been somber, but this could be something truly dark. I am ready to shed a few tears.

9. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

My thoughts EXACTLY

10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Just in the last few weeks I'd started wondering when it'd be reasonable to expect some new Nick Cave songs, if he felt the need for time away or if he felt it was time to write again. I'm actually a tad surprised that something is coming this fall - I had imagined he'd be writing and recording at this point - that's what he does after all - but didn't expect a release until maybe spring or so.

A good part of me is expecting a somewhat subdued and introspective set of songs...a la Boatman's Call.

ShawnX likes this.
  11. Moth

Moth fluttering by

It looks like they've taken all the information off the film page.

12. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

he did that wonderful gospel tune for Mavis Staples so I'm hoping he hasn't gone off the rails into the abyss but has kept his faith.

as Dylan said: "pain sure brings out the best in people, doesn't it?"

13. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Can't wait. But I will. :agree:

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, the new album is called "Skeleton Tree".

Now the laemmle-pages have been updated:
    One More Time with Feeling - Laemmle.com »

[​IMG]

One More Time with Feeling
    A unique one night only cinema event directed by Andrew Dominik (Chopper, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Killing Them Softly), One More Time With Feeling will be the first ever opportunity anyone will have to hear Skeleton Tree, the sixteenth studio album from Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. The film will screen in cinemas across the world on 8th September 2016, immediately prior to the release of Skeleton Tree the following day.

Originally a performance based concept, One More Time With Feeling evolved into something much more significant as Dominik delved into the tragic backdrop of the writing and recording of the album. Interwoven throughout the Bad Seeds’ filmed performance of the new album are interviews and footage shot by Dominik, accompanied by Cave’s narration and improvised rumination.

Filmed in black-and-white and colour, in both 3D and 2D, the result is fragile, raw and a true testament to an artist trying to find his way through the darkness.

More details: nickcave.com

I just cant wait and Im really looking forward to this and it might be one of best releases this year.
    Nick Cave has never lost the edge, feeling and purpose on his art, so it will be once again really interesting to hear how his personal-life and family-stuff affected the outcome.

Moshe, vonwegen, Alfie Noakes and 2 others like this.
  15. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

17. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' sixteenth studio album, Skeleton Tree, will be out on 9th September 2016.

The first opportunity anyone will have to hear any of the songs from the album will be to watch One More Time With Feeling, directed by Andrew Dominik (Chopper, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Killing Them Softly). The film will screen in cinemas across the world on 8th September 2016, immediately prior to the release of Skeleton Tree the following day.

Originally a performance based concept, One More Time With Feeling evolved into something much more significant as Dominik delved into the tragic backdrop of the writing and recording of the album. Interwoven throughout the Bad Seeds' filmed performance of the new album are interviews and footage shot by Dominik, accompanied by Cave's intermittent narration and improvised rumination. Filmed in black-and-white and colour, in both 3D and 2D.

Pre-order the album, find your nearest cinema listings and buy tickets below.

One More Time with Feeling: Cinema Screenings & Ticket Booking - The Official Showtimes Destination »

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  18. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Booked in for the film showing in Worthing - only a 20 minute walk from my house :righton:.

My wife is a Nick Cave convert (since seeing him in Paris in 2013), so doubles up as a date night as well. Though maybe a rather introspective date night....

19. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

BeardedSteven likes this.
  20. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

It feels wrong to want to see what's been going on with Nick Cave the last couple years but it will be fascinating, yeah. The loss of a child is unfathomable, from the outside looking in, but in this instance the art that is born should be tremendous.

I have no idea what to expect

davesmoked likes this.
  21. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I agree. It is strange looking forward to something that has, we assume, been crafted out of extreme grief. I actually thought we may never see a new Nick Cave record as he has previously mentioned retiring from the business. This record may be catharsis for Nick and his family. All I know is that if its as good as its predecessor then we're in for a treat. Nick is, in my opinion, the best lyricist in the business today.

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

23. gohill

gohill Senior Member

It may not touch on his family tragedy at all. It says on their website that the album was mostly recorded in France in late 2014 (7 months before his son's death) and then finished in Autumn 2015 (right after). Not sure if this means final mixing and overdubs which Warren could have overseen and only now is Nick Cave ready to put it out and promote it. It sounds like the film being made around the recording and live performance may capture the turmoil and happenings around its final completion. Who knows, I am just glad he is working again and seems to have not fallen back into bad habits to deal with his pain.

JL6161 likes this.
  24. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

Without touching on his personal life, I was actually somewhat disappointed by Push The Sky Away, which I never could really get into. It just seemed like how you imagine a Bad Seeds album to sound, but without the bite and the bile and the sweet, sweet fragility. As I was such a fan of the Grinderman project, it was a bit of a disappointing follow-up to the awesome Grinderman 2.

I've never actually seen them live either (I have seen Mick Harvey solo, though), so I shan't be missing him if he tours this time. I can imagine him ultimately sitting this one out.

Marzz likes this.
  25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'm in. Been waiting for word on something from Mr. Cave, even a soundtrack. Push The Sky Away was tremendous, and I suspect this will be too. Brilliant title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.