New Onkyo A-9010 stereo integrated amp with build-in Wolfson DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Very happy with my A9050 which I got for $349 (~18mos ago) iirc.

3. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

It's got a LOUDNESS button ! :D

:hide:

5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I love: "and chunky knobs will further help bring all your digital and analog sources to life"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    bhazen likes this.
  6. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Loudness buttons are a godsend for low level listening. It's criminal that most amps don't have them.

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Bingo Bongo, tmtomh, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  8. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I have an Onkyo 8020 receiver. Will the 9010 sound significantly better. My 8020 sounds pretty good to me right now.

9. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I ordered a 9010 from Amazon. Got it this morning. I have been using an Onkyo 8020 receiver. I hooked up the 9010 and played a good sounding cd I was familiar with and nearly fell off the couch. I can't even describe the difference in sound. It was shocking.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Andrew Everard gave this amp a very good review for Gramophone recently. Onkyo continue to turn out some great gear!

tmtomh likes this.
  11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Would you guys consider this amp on the warmer side or brighter side for sound ?

List your speakers also. :)

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Thanks for the response guys. ;)

Posted this on the 9050 thread.

Interesting tidbit. Found 9050 only does 96/24 over coaxial and optical.

9010 does 192/24 over coaxial and 96/24 over optical.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Picked the 9010 up from amazon and on the way for my small setup I am putting together at beach place.

I will post what I think in case it helps others interested.

Jasonb and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. OnTheRoad

Please do !

I'm curious. My Onkyo 7030 cd player has a built in Wolfson DAC....so with this amp also having one...is it redundant or will it enhance the sound further I wonder ? And...if a cd player with a possible lesser quality DAC plugged in to the new amp...will it raise the quality of the sound because of "it's" Wolfson ?

I'd think it more important to have the DAC in the source player...than in the amp....I dunno.

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Since you already have the same DAC, it won't help you further.

It helps me cause I have an old Onkyo HT amp with a phono input, so it made more sense to upgrade my AMP than a player. I will just use coaxial/optical from my existing player.

I may later on buy the 7030 cause of the build quality and being a stand alone single disc player. I am going to use my Technics DVD-A10 as digital source, it has a great build quality.

16. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

melen001 likes this.
  17. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Sweet integrated amp. Bummer no remote, but at $185 quite a steal!!:thumbsup:

18. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I found the Denon DL-110 way cheaper on this site too but not heard about them.
    After looking online, they appear to be based in the Ukraine with many complaints so maybe stay away, unless others have experience with them

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Dig a little deeper online. There are quite a few people who have been burned by them. I already seen that low price and checked them out, after reading a whole thread elsewhere on them, I decided not worth the risk.

Jasonb likes this.
  20. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

It's nice to see some quality gear that's affordable for most. I have the c-7030 which I am quite happy with paired with a Yamaha A700 amp. If the Yamaha goes south this would be a ideal replacement amplifier within my budget.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I'm seeing different reviews on this. Look like the UK version doesn't have the DAC as they wanted to concentrate on the analog sections.
    "Conceived in Japan and tuned in the UK.......However, with no digital inputs on board, the A-9010 is a strictly analogue affair. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it means Onkyo can plough the money it saves on DACs into squeezing the best performance out of the analogue circuitry."

22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I saw the positive ratings on resellerratings.com, but they are mixed.

It looks like they accept paypal, so wouldn't that provide some measure of protection?

I do see frequent references to them not being an authorized dealer for products they sell, so that is certainly a red flag.

Mabel Smith likes this.
  23. OnTheRoad

I believe I saw the A-9010 on Amazon for $299 including free shipping. I'd rather go with that than risk the savings of $100+ with someone I don't know.

bru87tr likes this.
  24. OnTheRoad

Ok.....so I have a 10 year old Panasonic DVD player that was really, really inexpensive.

However at the time, it got a great rating from Consumer Reports...and I just needed a very basic unit...so I bought it. Only $49 at Fry's in Texas. It's still works great, never has any video or audio problems at all !

Not sure about the DAC, surely it's just some standard cheapy...but with THAT audio signal coming out to the new A-9010 with it's Wolfson, how will it improve the source's sound ? How can the amp take the originating signal and make it truly better ? Average IN, Better Out ? Hmmmm....

And by the way...my Panasonic DVD player DOES have a digital audio out as a coaxial output. Would that be the best to use going into the amp ? Or the regular RCA audio out's ?

This is from my DVD manual,

PCM Digital Output
    Check the digital input limitations of the
    equipment you connect using COAXIAL
    terminal and select the maximum sampling
    frequency of PCM digital output.
    Up to 48 kHz: When connected to equipment compatible with 44.1 or 48 kHz
    Up to 96 kHz: When connected to equipment compatible with 88.2 or 96 kHz
    – Signals that exceed the set maximum frequency and signals from copy-protected discs are converted
    to 48 or 44.1 kHz.
    – Some equipment cannot handle sampling frequencies of 88.2 kHz, even if they can handle 96 kHz.
    Read your equipment’s operating instructions for details.
    Dolby Digital ≥ Bitstream ≥ PCM Select “Bitstream” when the equipment can decode the bitstream (digital
    form of multi-channel data). Otherwise, select “PCM”.
    ≥ If the bitstream is output to the equipment without a decoder, high levels
    of noise can be output and may damage your speakers and hearing.
    DTS Digital Surround ≥ PCM ≥ Bitstream
    MPEG§7 ≥ PCM ≥ Bitstream
    Dynamic Range Compression ≥ Off
    ≥ On: Adjusts for clarity even when the volume is low through compressing the range of the lowest sound
    level and the highest sound level. Convenient for late night viewing. (Only works with Dolby Digital)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  25. OnTheRoad

Wouldn't a DAC in the amp really only work with a digital signal coming in ? The signal coming out of analog RCA's from a cd or dvd player wouldn't benefit would they ?

Boy...when it comes down to it. I'm one dumb sunny beach ! :D

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.