New Onkyo stereo integrated amp - the A-9150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

It's not on US Onkyo's website yet, but the owner's manual in the below link does mention a US model:

http://www.nl.onkyo.com/downloads/3/1/6/2/7/Manual_A-9150_En.pdf

Looks like 30 watts/channel into 8 ohms (full bandwith) and doubles the wattage into 4 ohms, MM/MC phono pre-amp, pre-outs/main-ins (but no dedicated sub out), 2 coax/2 Toslink digital inputs, aluminum front panel and volume knob, and 384 kHz/32 bit DAC from Asahi Kasei. Not pricing information yet, but the A-9150's predecessor, the A-9010, is available on Amazon for $300.00 (sometimes less).

[​IMG]

CrazyCatz, Bingo Bongo and bluemooze like this.
  2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

60 watts per channel

3. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

30 watts rms at 8 ohms. 60 watts rms at 4 ohms.

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

The 9010 was more than that, wasn't it ?

I have to check. Cause I have one and it seems to have way more power than that.

5. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

A-9010 Power Output: 44 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC). From the Onkyo USA site.

6. Standingstones

The A-9010 is 44 watts at 8 ohms. The main page on the Yamaha site says 244 watts which is a typo. The 9010 is only 14.3 lbs.

7. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

8. Standingstones

The B&H website states June 29th availability. $499.00 price. The power ratings are from the Onkyo website. What is there to know?

9. Gizmo90

I just mean I'm a bit confused about why they chose to use a design with lower rated power then the 9010. I'm interested to see what people think when it comes out.

bru87tr likes this.
  10. Gizmo90

Well, I ordered one a couple of days ago. It is up on Onkyo's site. I'll post pics and impressions asap

11. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

A-9150…"Building on acclaim for the award-winning A-9010."
    Curious, what awards did the A-9010 win?

bru87tr likes this.
  12. Gizmo90

Lol I don't think it did. I mean what hi-fi gave it a 5? Is that an award LOL?

13. soundboy

bru87tr likes this.
  14. Gizmo90

I do think the 9010 is a great amp, but I disagree completely that the DAC and phonostage are "good" in anyway.

15. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

16. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

I wonder how many folks in the US bought the A-9010 based on the A-9010(UK) 5-star review.

17. Gizmo90

"Interesting... so there's a UK version and US version?"

Yes and its marketing BS from my memory, they are the same amp. USA has a DAC UK does not.

18. soundboy

The A-9010 is currently at $270. Price matched at Best Buy.

19. Gizmo90

I read the what Hifi review and found a 9010 for $185 from an unauthorized dealer. Loved it ever since I got it in Nov 2015. Love the sound, the look, and the feel of using it.

20. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

The 9010 is a steal. If on a budget and not needing gobs of power (apartment dwellers) go for it.

21. Gizmo90

I've also modded it a bit
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

(added Nichicon Gold Tune Caps for the big power filter caps)
    Id say do this mod if you have one. Makes it sound less toy like for lack of better words.

and
    Tried the Mundorf for big caps and changed what I thought was the preamp portion to some silmic II and FG
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Ultimately I returned it to stock because it developed a hum thru my modification, So i returned the original caps and the hum is gone, decided I didn't want to wear out the solder pads(they are pretty small not like working on vintage gear)

But Yeah I'd throw in some 8200uf 50v Gold Tunes and the amp jumps a half level.
    Nichicon Capacitor Series KG

Will take 30 mins or less if you are handy with soldering. Taking the board out is fairly easy too, just one small tilt to get it out safly

Daily Nightly likes this.
  22. Gizmo90

I got the A9150 yesterday. Got a chance to mess with it for a while its still burning in. Very nice! The DAC Seems really good too. Very solid low end. Overall neutral, like other onkyo amps. The power does seem less than the 9010 but at the same time I feel like it has better control of the speakers and more solid overall tone. it gets louder with more movement of the volume knob compared to the 9010

[​IMG]

beercanchicken, bluemooze and Jerryb like this.
  23. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

This is new:
    The A-9150 makes your records sound better than ever. A gold-plated phono input supports signals from either MM or MC cartridges fitted to your choice of turntable. Separate phono circuit board has dedicated equalizers served by a top-quality customized head amp, which operates in discrete configuration for MC signals. Together with analog power amplification, this high-grade phono input design expresses the depth and vitality of music on vinyl.
    [​IMG]

Discrete SpectraModule boasts a slew rate of over 500 V/μs, significantly higher than competitive products that use a standard IC chip. High-voltage performance enables flat linearity into the megahertz range for full-bandwidth signal reproduction. This is important not only for natural transients expressing the nuances in music with freshness and vitality, but also for accurate definition of instruments ranged around a larger and more realistic soundstage.

[​IMG]

(North American)
    (FTC) With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20 - 20,000 Hz; rated 30 watts per channel minimum
    RMS power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.
    (FTC) With 4 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20 - 20,000 Hz; rated 60 watts per channel minimum
    RMS power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output

bluemooze likes this.
  24. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

"I got the A9150 yesterday. Got a chance to mess with it for a while its still burning in. Very nice! The DAC Seems really good too. Very solid low end. Overall neutral, like other onkyo amps. The power does seem less than the 9010 but at the same time I feel like it has better control of the speakers and more solid overall tone. it gets louder with more movement of the volume knob compared to the 9010"
    ------

Congats on your new purchase!
    Re audio electronics: Perhaps it's your word choice ("still burning in"), but the burn-in belief is a load of bosh.

25. Gizmo90

Thank you
    Please don't turn this thread into that lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.