New Outkast, holy god.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aquateen, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I've had the new Outkast since the day it came out and can't beleive I've yet to say anything about it. Album of the year, this coming from only a minor fan of hip-hop. Seriously Big Boi has some groovy songs but I think at the end he may suffer from the "Guest star" thing that happens with most hip hop. His strongest songs have that nice P-Funk thing going on. Dre 300....WOW. I love his entire album. Seven years from now I think Hey Ya is going to be one of the best singles released this decade. I love everything about that song, the breakdown is fantastic. "Lend me some sugar, I am your neighbor OW! :)

2. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Best line on the album (best line of the year?) "stank you, smelly much".
    They've really taken the P-Funk thing to the next level (a lot of Prince influence, too!).
    This gets my vote for album of the year (right after HTTT) if Lewis Taylor's Stoned, Part 2 gets delayed.

3. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

While I still prefer their previous albums where they're on the same tracks, Spearboxxx/Love Below is a gem. Dre's album is a sprawling, delightful mess. Big Boi showed that he's more than just the "straight" rapper of the team and has a nice range of sounds, too, though more grounded.

"Might as well have fun 'cause your happiness is done and your goose is cooked..."

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Anybody tried the vinyl? Wondering if I should stick with CD for this one... purchase is imminent.

5. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Yeah, the album and "Hey Ya" absolutely own. Now, don't read this part if you want to stay in love with the song... but "What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold" is an extreeeeemely lame line in an otherwise phenominal song.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The endorsement here is all I need to get this CD!

Outkast are NOT your typical rappers! Hell, they don't even sound like rappers most the time.:thumbsup:

7. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Re: Re: New Outkast, holy god.

I totally agree...I still feel like Hey Ya is *half* of a great song, degenerating as it does into something that sounds like an improv near the end.

("You know what to doooooooooooo" et all)

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

"You make me talk baby talk
    Just me and miss lady
    She makes me talk baby talk
    Got me talkin like a baby
    Like ga ga and goo goo"

Now THAT'S a love song. ;)

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I'm not much of a Hip hop fan, but "Hey Ya" is a great tune. "Shake it like a Polaroid picture!" :p Great line. :laugh:

10. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

I'll be the first one to admit that I'm nothing close to a rap/hip-hop fan, but I will say that the chorus of "The Way You Move" is one of the catchiest things I've heard in a long time :thumbsup: :cool:

11. Kym

Kym Former Resident

The chorus of "The Way You Move" sounds A LOT like Earth Wind & Fire, doesn't it?

12. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Re: Re: New Outkast, holy god.

Ice Cold is Dre 3000's alter ego character throughout the movie. I don't think it's trying to be the most badass line ever...just say it with a goofy smile on your face to all your friends and make it a catch line...or maybe it's just my generation that appreciates the postmodern humor aspects of it. However, the part that used to be my signature before the Bones got me "I wanna see y'all on y'all baddest behavior/lend me some sugar, I am your neighbor!" is perhaps the best couplet I've ever heard in a hip-hop song.

13. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: New Outkast, holy god.

Which movie?

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I just heard some samples, and this is some pretty inventive stuff. Is this coming on hi rez?

Has anyone checked the temperature in hell? It must be going down.....me liking hip hop?:confused: :D

15. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Outkast, holy god.

Haha, that's what I get for posting when I'm exhausted. I meant album. Silly me.

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I saw DVD-A at Media Play last week.

Hmmm.... LP or DVD-A? I can't decide.

17. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

The DVD-A is actually for their last album "Stankonia"

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Outkast, holy god.

Well, if you see the long version of the Hey Ya video, I believe "Ice Cold" is one of the "band members" played by Andre, so it was kind of a movie. :)

Andre 3000 was on a total Prince trip for "The Love Below" album.

It's pretty cool that Hey Ya can be a hit with its odd time signature. The rhythm pattern goes two bars of four, one bar of six, two bars of four, and its still sends everyone to the dance floor. :)

Regards,

19. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

20. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Well guy's, after reading this thread, you all got me wanting to try this CD out. I'll check back!

21. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Outkast, holy god.

Yeah, the Prince thing is why I think that whole album has generational crossover appeal even to those who don't like rap/hip-hop. Speakerboxxx, on the other hand, is not what I'd call conventional, but much more hardcore hip-hopish. But get 'em both and listen to them at least once anyway!

22. dabl

dabl Senior Member

23. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Any word about a DVD-A release for the latest? (Since it's DVD-A, I'll want to pick up the CD, too, but I'd sure like to know if a hi-res/surround release is coming!)

24. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I'm happy that many of you concur that this album is a masterpiece! This could be the first rap album to a win an album of the year Grammy.:cool: :agree: :righton:

25. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Ooops. That's what I meant. I was on my first cup of coffee when I wrote that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.