New Parasound JC3 Jr. vs Gold Note PH 10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wee Wiily, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Well, there it is then....That wraps it up and removes all doubt!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Audio Gent

Audio Gent The Audio Gent

Resonates, percolates - then runs out of gas. :rant:

Strat-Mangler and Bananas&blow like this.
  3. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

I'm curious as to what (if anything) you hear as differences between the JC3 Jr and the Triton II. Both are very configurable - the big difference is that it looks like the JC3 Jr. has balanced outs, while the TII does not.

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Have not really done a back to back comparison b/t the two (yet).

5. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I've seen some debate on this topic actually and I'd say its not so clear cut that the cart makes a bigger difference than the phono preamp. Some of the biggest jumps in sound quality I have observed in my journey were from the phono preamp upgrades.

6. Audio Gent

Should have by next week, will post comments after i fire it up. The way i'm looking at this - let me get settled in with the preamp first. That will put me in a better position to appreciate an upgrade in cartridge if that's something i decide to do.

Helom likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

But then you've only run one cartidge with the Jr (the Bronze, a MM), and never tried an LOMC, correct?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Audio Gent

Hooked up the JC 3 Jr today. Initial impression is the sound is smoother with a quieter background. Curious to see if i notice a difference as the days go by, hours accumulate and it settles in.

9. Dennis Ashendorf

Dennis Ashendorf New Member

Dear Jerry,

I hope I met you at Capital Audiofest 2019. Did you sell the 2-SB? I was wondering if you had version 1 ($2,500) or version 2 ($3,000)?

Still, thank you for your comment. If you have a moment, please like LKV Research FB page.

Also, we occasionally send out short emails to people. Would you kindly surf lkvresearch.substack.com? Only an email address is requested.

LKV designs and builds in the USA, Class A, zero-feedback audiophile products. If you have questions, please contact us.

With appreciation,
    Dennis
    [email protected]

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

Did you ever get the power supply for the PH-10? I'm curious if you thought it ended up being worth the money.

11. Louie Belt

Louie Belt Well-Known Member

Interesting question about the power supply. I purchased a Gold Note PH-10 / PSU-10 pair. I was incredibly impressed with the sound (moving from a Rega Aria). With just the PH-10 I had some audio hum/buzz you could hear through the speakers when the volume was high. When I hooked up the PSU-10 everything went dead silent. I was thrilled with the sound of the pair and would strongly recommend the PSU-10 if it weren't for its reliability issues. My first PSU-10 failed in less than 2 months. It started making a loud (75 db) mechanical buzzing sound coming from the unit intermittently. Within 2 days it would start the buzzing at power on 80% of the time. I requested a repair under warranty. Gold Note issued an RMA and I shipped it off 2 months ago....but have not received it back as of yet (the PH-10 continued to work but had the annoying low level hum/buzz). I elected to buy a second PSU-10 knowing it would take a while to get the RMA repair/replacement. The second one failed in a similar manner within 2 weeks. It too is now being RMA'd for repair. Once both return I plan on selling the Gold Note PH-10 and both PSU-10s. In the interim I purchased a Parasound JC3+ and am very happy with it.

punkmusick and Nephrodoc like this.
  12. Louie Belt

Louie Belt Well-Known Member

Having owned both the Gold Note PSU-10 / PH-10 combo and the Parasound JC3+, if it weren't for the reliability issues with the Gold Note PSU-10 I could have been very happy with the Gold Note. It seemed to make the music more open and 3-dimensional than the Aria but it also had a tendency on some recordings to sound too bright (almost harsh). Compared to my Rega Aria it was a huge improvement and literally had me re-evaluating albums that I previously had written off as bad recordings. (I grade the audio on each album in my collection). The Parasound JC3+ does not sound quite as open / 3-dimensional as the Gold Note, but it does not cause some recordings to sound too bright like the Gold Note did and the stereo image on the JC3+ seems to stay better anchored/centered if a little less pronounced.

Yellow Rubber Jacket likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.