New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

A few years ago he called his new album NEW.
    Perhaps he'll call his next album NEXT?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What's gnu?

[​IMG] ;)

linclink and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. Newer? Or Newest!

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Relax Arnold, we know it's not you.

It's well known that you are the strict "underwear change denier" :D

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's new or never!

Mr. Explorer and linclink like this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Ah, the long awaited followup to Ram! At last!

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

New-tered.. ;)

dcshark and linclink like this.
  8. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

From an interview with Wix Wickens currently on the Keyboard Magazine website:

When you’re not touring with Paul, are you interested in other musical projects?

I’m happy to have time off because we’re doing quite a lot. I mean, it’s unbelievable. This year has been probably our second busiest year. We’ll do over 40 shows this year, plus we’ve been recording.

Paul is working on a new album?

I think he’s got 20 tracks underway. We’ve been recording on and off and he’s been going in and out on his own.​

Wix Wickens - Zen and the Art of Multitasking

9. Glenn Christense

Thanks for posting the interview.

"Well, I think every night we try and treat it like it’s the first time we’ve played. As I said to the guys, it’s somebody’s one and only show, so they don’t want to see a Thelonious Monk version of “Hey Jude.” They want to hear it how they recognize it, along with it being live. It’s not a tribute band - it’s a live version of it. It’s not going to be about totally reproducing the record, because you can go play the record."

:laugh: :agree:

10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I'm really curious about this album. I'm expecting to hear the types of sounds & songs we heard on NEW & MAF. But who knows ?

I'm curious if all the vocals will be sandpaper Dylan like "Early Days" or if he still has the poppier voice. I'm also wondering if he's sandbagged a couple dozen lead vocal tracks from 5-10 years ago, so he can keep going for a couple more albums.

Most people have just about expended their entire lifespan at 75. This guy is still making albums I want to hear & buy !!! Amazing !! Ringo is 77 with good new songs !!!

I think McCartneys voice is the biggest unknown, more than Greg Kurstin & what he does, although that's important too. Mccartney is certainly using oodles of repeated studio time on this. I realize there are long breaks in between. But how long has this one been in the works ? 3-4 years already ? Or not.

Mr. Explorer and Elliottmarx like this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I think we need to prepare for a healthy dose of studio trickery (ala autotune) to be used on Paul’s upcoming disc.
    :hide:

Rojo and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Hopefully we'll find out in 3 or 4 months at best

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Nope, started last November/December after Desert Trip
    Although I'm sure he continually writes songs here and there

14. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I'm okay with auto-tune if it's well done and necessary
    They used some auto-tune on Kisses On The Bottom, I'm sure you never spotted it

Rojo and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I spotted it on Milk Man, but it was used effectively.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  16. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Personally I think it would be cool if he made a song with deliberately auto tuned vocals like Cher's "Believe".

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

He did with "Feet in the Clouds."

Haristar likes this.
  18. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Auto-tune is bothersome, and will surely not age well in an of itself. It will always stand out.
    If trickery is to be used, and why not, then bring in James for a few of the higher notes.
    Or, record on tape and let Paul sing over a slowed down mix, so when brought up to speed he sounds a little brighter and higher pitched, ala She's Leaving Home.
    In fact, there are several "tricks" that could be used that will make for a more natural and timeless recording than resorting to digital deceit.

Tord likes this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The Beatles used every trick there was in the studio, auto tune is no different!

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This is the album that's nearly complete that they're shooting music videos for because its release is imminent, right? :laugh:o_O

21. Glenn Christense

Jinksy , keep in mind that Auto-Tune
    (the correct name by the way) can get Paul on pitch if he's off key , but no amount of Auto-Tune will make an old scratchy voice sound younger .
    The best bet for that would be double tracking his vocals, which would help smooth out any weak spots in his vocals .

I'm still really looking forward to the album regardless of his vocal situation , especially now that we know the album release is imminent and the videos are all filmed . :p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  22. Glenn Christense

Yes, but their BEST tricks were being among the best songwriters and rock and roll singers ever.

Those are the tricks that no software
    can offer . :D

23. Glenn Christense

Frank, I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag, but your post is dragging the exclusive scoop I have out of me.

It's still a closely guarded secret of course but there aren't any individual videos because ...
    The new album is the soundtrack to Paul's NEW MOVIE, Give My Regards To Broadstreet 2, the sequel !

The album is long finished but what's holding it up is the movie's production .

They realize its almost impossible to top the "edge of our seats"suspense of the first movie, what with our hearts pounding wondering if Paul was going to get the master tape back,etc, so they keep doing script rewrites .

Also they can't find the white cat costumes used in the first film.
    Paul wants the band to wear the same costumes, wigs and white face makeup while he sings "Meat Free Monday" in the new film.

Besides "Meat Free Monday" the new soundtrack album and film will include new versions of "Freedom", " P.S Love Me Do", "Please Don't Bring That Banjo Back" , "Sie Liebt Dich" and in a touching tribute Paul is covering John's "Nutopian International Anthem"

Now that's all you're getting out of me.
    I want the rest to be surprises!

24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, you're certainly far more of an expert on "old scratchy voices", Glenda, so I'll bow to your advanced age wisdom on that. :hugs:

In some of the "New" interviews, Paul mentioned that sometimes producers were "too respectful" of his voice, and I think he realized at the time it might need some "juice" to make it sound better. Since I'm just an uneducated rube from potato country, I'm not sure how those alterations will be achieved - I just thought I'd mention that some folks here might wanna prepare for some tricks.

25. Glenn Christense

Well , seeing that you are from potato country , you should realize that Pauls best bet for decent vocals these days are...(wait for it)....mash ups!
    :p

Mr. Explorer and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.