New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Im not sure I share that longing.:)

theMess, Shak Cohen and Paul H like this.
  2. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

I'd like to see paul doing.................

theMess likes this.
  3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

If New is not New, then what is it?

Oh Drat! I just lost my lurker status. :shh:

theMess, mrjinks and RAJ717 like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Newt:

[​IMG]

;)

theMess likes this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hey! That looks like my salamander...

theMess likes this.
  6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You need a rack for that. A Newt Rack...

7. Arnold Grove

[​IMG]
    ;)

theMess, PhoffiFozz and Paul H like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Here is what Paul had to say about Angry in a Rolling Stone interwiew
    On your new album, there's an almost punkish song called "Angry." That's not an attitude usually associated with Paul McCartney. What are you angry about?
    Well, the same things a lot of us are angry about.

Traffic jams, stuff like that?
    Well, there's that – the day-to-day piss-offs. But I was thinking more about, um, British trade unions withdrawing coal when there's old ladies dying, and we kind of just go, "Yeah, well, the union's got a right." And Britain's attitude toward apartheid at the moment, which is just so crazy. I mean, still, after all those years of Martin Luther King and everything, they're still buggerin' around with black and white. It's so insane. Couldn't they just wise up? But there's Maggie saying, "We don't need to do sanctions," while everybody else – all the civil-rights groups – are saying, "But you do."

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

From the same Rolling Stone interwiew Paul had the to say about our beloved Bip Bop
    know there are quite a few tracks on my albums that I just don't like now. Like "Bip Bop," off Wild Life – oh, God, I can't listen to it; it just goes nowhere. But occasionally a good one comes along, and occasionally there's a little wave on the little millpond, and that makes it all worthwhile.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

That interview comes from possibly the lowest point in his creative confidence imo. He was desperately trying to appear relevant and seemed to be taking all the negativity thrown at him to heart which was sad to see.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

So close.

I like Driving Rain quite a lot, but there is one blemish on there for me, one cringey moment that taints the album: towards the end of She's Given Up Talking, there's an acoustic guitar that goes down a scale. Total mood killer. I'm exaggerating to some degree but it really does feel out of place and for sure it takes away from the song a bit for me.

12. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Part of me misses the days of Paul recording albums with his band, whether it be the late 80s-early 90s "Lumpy Trousers" band or even the tracks where he used his current touring band, they stand far above the songs where Paul tries to play everything. The songs flow better as if they were not constructed track by track/layer by layer from the ground up when it's a one man band. Either that, or just have Paul release an acoustic album without drums and focus the production team on smoothing out his weakened voice on the vocal tracks. THAT would be an interesting album to hear!

Shak Cohen and Frank like this.
  13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The album you described wouldn't be a rock and roll album?!

No, Mr. Vanederbilt is not 100% correct, in fact he's not correct at all!

McCartney only used his band partially, in bits and pieces on Driving Rain, and as I remember, it wasn't even the entire band, Brian Ray had very little input I think.

I want McCartney to come out of his comfort zone as well, so I wouldn't have him do another one man band type album, that's too comfortable!

I'd want McCartney to come in prepared for the full band treatment, he's said many times that he like being in a band, I'd remind him of that, I'd challenge him to bring in some of his best songs, and I'd make sure that his bass playing was featured!

Zeki likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

If you really want to get Paul out of his comfort zone, then Paul needs to collaborate on an album with Roger Waters. ;)

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

16. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Overall I think it's just an ok song, but people have neglected the melody of the "There but for the grace of God go you and I" part for too long just because the chorus is so basic. It's one of the best hooks on the album.

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok
    Why does Paul need to be challenged?
    What is the challenge in making a rock n roll album? Sounds not all that exiting to me.
    Why should Paul leave his comfort-zone. Elderly people need comfort-zones not challenges.
    For me sir Paul can do anything he likes even if it would be hip-hop or siberian nosedance. That would be a challenge though.
    :)

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Or make a duet-album with Yoko Ono called duelling banjos. :agree:

theMess and mark ab like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes. I like the song, but it's one of the weakest on that album which, to me, says something about New. I think it's a strong album.

theMess, foxylady and anthontherun like this.
  20. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Ah, my first smile of what's been a long day.

21. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Well, they did work together in the mid 90’s on one “song”. That’s enough for me. :D

Hiroshima Sky (Is Always Blue)

theMess likes this.
  22. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

No they are different types of rock but they are both rock unless you have an extremely narrow, unrealistic definition of what rock is.

Zeki likes this.
  23. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

What's wrong with House of Wax from Memory Almost Full? :D I think that rocks pretty hard, in a slow and moody rock sort of way. Great guitar solos from Paul too.

theMess, Mumbojunk, forthlin and 2 others like this.
  24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Are you accusing Zeppelin of not rocking?

I would absolutely love for McCartney to collaborate with both Roger Waters and Ted Nugent! Those are the kinds of artist I want him to get with, I wasn't excited about Elvis Costello because he's not a rocker.

I'd challenge McCartney to really get him excited and his creative juices really flowing! I'd get him in the mindset like he was when he made Band On The Run, the mindset that he's going to make one of the best albums he's ever made! He said that was his mindset during BOTR.

I'd also seriously encourage him to really perform the new material live!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Darrin L. likes this.
  25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

More Sirvana! (Seriously, the most engaging things he's done in the 10s have involved Dave Grohl)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.