New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Ten years ago a new McCartney album would interest me very little BUT after the wonderful surprise of NEW I am quite happy to hear a follow up.

rstamberg likes this.
  2. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Will it be a rock album, or another "if Rod can do it, I can too" set of standards?

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'd love to hear Greg Kurstin do another Action Figure Party album, myself.

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It seems that 'KOTB' was a one off release, so I doubt that it will be another covers album. In interviews over the last few years, Paul has said that he has a backlog of new songs that need to be released, as well as the more experimental work he mentioned in Rolling Stone, so I imagine that it will be the follow up to New.

5. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

"Brand New" is on its way... :hide:

theMess and dasacco like this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Bring it on. Keep going, Paul!

Johnny Reb, theMess and JDeanB like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I haven't really listened to music lately, besides Bowie last month, I've been so busy

I've been playing NEW everyday out of excitement of this news, I'm really pumped to hear new Paul music, I was set on NEW being his last :sigh::winkgrin:

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I know it will never happen but a favorite musical fantasy of mine is Paul releasing an album with just him on acoustic guitar with very minimal backing ala "Mother Nature's Son" and "Little Willow" etc.

Paul can do no wrong in my world when his songs are based around an acoustic guitar.

The less glop he adds to these kind of songs the better in my book. His natural talent for melody
    and economy of arranging seems to really shine in his acoustic based songs IMO.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Paulwalrus, Tord, Zeki and 7 others like this.
  9. Stickville Jim

Stickville Jim Active Member

Few joys in life can match the pure fun of ridiculing the elderly!

10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

New Tew :hide:

theMess likes this.
  11. Glenn Christense

It's only funny because Paul is working against that stereotype and is showing no signs of slowing down yet so it's fun creating stupid humor about him.:p

If he was ACTUALLY showing signs of turning into a doddering old man, there wouldn't be any humor in it.

For example, Arnold Grove always kids me about being old but obviously I show no signs of aging yet, so his age jokes are super funny.

Wait a minute. I forgot my train of thought. What was I talking about again? Arnold Palmer or something? :confused: :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Mazda, Bemagnus, Johnny Reb and 3 others like this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

If this blurb in The Sun will turn out to be sessions for a proper new pop/rock album, I personally hope for a producer who can get him out of his comfort zone again, but who also is able to maintain an uniform sound, like Nigel Godrich succeeded in during the 'Chaos'-sessions.

13. Hmmmm. We shall see. At least it seems that a new record will be produced by one person and not a mish mash like last time. That multi producer thing fails.

alexpop likes this.
  14. My choice would be Paul and Youth again as they made his best album in a quarter century.

CDC, vince, gramfan and 1 other person like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Sounds fun and fresh! Hope Paul is back on track to get all of us to spend the money! CD, vinyl, streaming, download, SHMCD, SACD, heck maybe a cassette or 8 track...

QUOTE="Arnold Grove, post: 13733881, member: 14404"]And to add to the Adele connection: Paul's new album, when it comes out next year, will be called "75". ... ;)[/QUOTE]

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh boy, time to strap myself in. This is gonna be a long ride. I can't wait!!! :D

17. Glenn Christense

Its too bad you live on the left coast Mazzy.
    If we were closer we could have an Electric Arguments/Wildlife fanboys listening party, complete with snacks and beverages. :D

18. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

I'm in!..My two favorites!!

Mazda, CDC, Glenn Christense and 2 others like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

I've already heard previews of all the tracks and they are great!

Here are some spoilers:
    Some of the songs are rock based and some aren't.
    Paul plays bass on most, (if not all) of the tracks.
    On one of the songs his voice sounds kind of old and weak, but it works for that song.
    "Return to Hosanna" is probably my favorite track, except for "Gratitude 2"
    There is a song about a cat, or maybe not.
    Everything sounds a little bit more brickwalled than Memory Almost Full, so most fans here will like that.
    Abe sings about half of the lead vocals on the new songs and Jim Nabors guests on one track.
    Paul does a blue grass version of "Yesterday" with Steve Martin guesting on banjo, along with the surviving members of the Hee Haw cast. Barbie Benton kills in the video.
    Japanese bonus track: "Carnival Of Light"

I've read some advance promo's Paul is doing for the new album also, and refreshingly for a change, he mentions that while recording the new album it reminded him of working with the Beatles, and how he was really the avant garde one, not John.
    I don't believe he has ever offered these opinions in public before.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. Glenn Christense

You bring the Tater Tots!

gramfan, theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  21. One added benefit/curse of a new McCartney album, is that the thread anticipating it is usually one of the wackiest and most entertaining (or groan-inducing) threads going at the time. :)

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am clearing my schedule so that I can keep up. :D If this is anything like the New thread, if you stay away for a day, there will be 40 new pages when you get back. :laugh:

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

This will be Paul's first new album since the forum changed the rules about starting a new thread every 40 pages, so let's see how far we get before the thing is even announced!

24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The 'New' thread was probably the reason for the change. :D

25. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

When I first read that I thought you wrote "with smack and beverages"!

Need to clean my glasses when I get back from lunch.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.