New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member

It is, at Bull Moose. $37.97

2. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Wonder if he'll be performing the single live on any late night TV shows in the near future?

3. suffragette

suffragette McCartney vocal freak

has ram been uploaded? last time I searched for it it wasn't

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

That's black vinyl, not colored.

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...they alternative between his hair and his voice. I think they are having difficulty grasping the concept of "aging_, or maybe they are dealing with their own mortality.

jlf, foxylady, JDeanB and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Interesting that for decades, critics and some fans savaged McCartney for not being personal enough in his songs, not being introspective enough, not revealing enough. Just a few years ago, The New Yorker wrote a piece calling him a "generic genius." So in his last few records, he's been very personal, introspective, and revealing. And now some fans are criticizing him for focusing on himself too much in his songs and not being universal. At any rate, as I recall, (correct me if I'm wrong), but you've never been much of a Lennon fan for that very reason (his songs were too much about himself). So it's not surprising that Paul writing about himself doesn't move you the way that Paul writing about salamanders used to. Which is fine.

I like a bit of both from McCartney -- salamanders and introspection. I think his songs about himself lately work for me because he does it in a way that's universal. The lyrics are simple enough that "I Don't Know" could be about Paul struggling through a black mood and pretending everything's fine, but it could also be about me burying my own misery. But if it doesn't work for you, then there's plenty of his old stuff that's still there.

7. I heard these tunes again on Radio 2 with the complete interview (doesn't Paul sound a little like Brian Wilson these days in interview?) and they didn't improve for me. Funnily enough a song caught my ear quickly afterwards during the same program: it was Liam Gallagher's "I've All I Need". I have to say that was a lot better than either McCartney song.

vitorbastos123 and Mamunia like this.
  8. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I don't think you can fully understand/appreciate the Beatles without hearing their 1970-1975 solo output. After that it's all gravy, but there is relevant information from a Beatles standpoint throughout all their solo albums of this period.

raveoned and slane like this.
  9. jricc

jricc Senior Member

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Not calling u out, but in the video from the secret gig, it was Brian playing the Danelectro/Coral Sitar.:cheers:

jlf and Paperback Writer like this.
  10. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I think they are being exceedingly careful about the vocals - it sounds like he is taking them line by line (get a good breath, sing "If I come on to you" or "dogs at my door", pause, take another breath and do it again until it sounds right).

11. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Thread summery to this point..just like for the last record

Has anyone got their shipping notice yet?
    His voice is gone
    his hair is greying
    the production to bright
    production is to condensed
    It's no Band On The Run
    New was better
    All the versions are cash grabs
    No 5.1?
    He should retire

I can hardly wait!!

theMess, SixOClockBoos, jlf and 3 others like this.
  12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Oh, no, don't get me wrong. I did come around to listening to everything, from McCartney, All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band on up through what Ringo and Paul release now.

But it took time for me, as far as absorbing it, grasping it and appreciating it.

13. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

In my opinion there is much more to it than what you are talking about. It is historically significant. After the release of In The Blink Of An Eye, there was for the first time much apprehension regarding what this album was going to be like. In fact the reason (I have heard) that this album is only coming out now - after being essentially finished for 18 months(?) - is that they spent an inordinate amount of time trying to improve the vocals.

So it is not insignificant at all. Paul has finally reached a point where he cannot even be made to sound good in the recording studio anymore. I understand you choose to ignore the significance of this. But to someone like me whose life has been affected deeply by Paul's music it is a very important point in time.

Frank likes this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I've never thought about music being life changing in a long time .

I have had a career playing music, selling musical instruments, and being totally committed to music emotionally and every other way I guess my entire life.

This happened as a direct result of the pop music of the 60's in general and the Beatles specifically. It literally steered my life course.

But when I think about it , although music is my life long passion I can't honestly think of any music since I was say.. 20 that was "life changing ".

That's a big concept to bandy about .
    Did I change jobs, or marry someone because of music's effect on me?

Those are life changing events , not loving music , or responding emotionally to it, etc.

So, maybe I've been around music too long and I'm jaded, or after playing music for so long I've learned to dissect the music so some of the mystery is gone.

But no music is life changing to me anymore .
    It can move me, amaze me and make me happy.
    But Paul's music doesn't "affect me to my core or alter my trajectory" in any way.

Thats putting an unfair responsibility on Paul and other musicians IMO.

15. scoostraw

Good point.

Frank, if you are reading this.. what do u think of his hair anyway?

supermd and Frank like this.
  16. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I disagree I think he still sounds good in the studio.

17. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Yes that song from Liam is really good.

SteveM likes this.
  18. scoostraw

hmmmm.... ;)

19. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Greg Kurstin production is very strong in I Don't Know, definitely sounds like an Adele track!
    I mean, if it was sang by Adele, it would have been a world wide hit as songs like Hello
    I even wonder if it's the same piano on both tracks, or is it just Greg Kurstin's production that makes it sound like it...

scoostraw likes this.
  20. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Good point, there's plenty of music I simply enjoy for the songcraft or the way the sound of the recording or the production sounds and aren't particularly life changing. I guess I just don't see music that way - I don't have to have music change my life to be enjoyable. Just don't look at music that way. If it does great but I can still enjoy a song for lifting my spirits and that's all - what's wrong with that, I'd like to know? Besides lifting ones mood in these dark times is a major gift in my mind and I'm thankful that McCartney still can for me.

21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’m glad that I missed yesterday’s critics. Complaining about a 76 years olds voice is beyond ridiculous, as is complaining about his appearance. The guy has been singing his heart out since the late ‘50s. He’s also been a senior citizen for over a decade.
    If you think “voice is gone, he doesn’t sound like he did 50 years ago” when you hear the new songs, just turn the music off or don’t buy it. Anyone that understands the cycle of life and nature will understand why his voice sounds different and maybe even embrace the beauty of it, as well as appreciating that he’s still he doing what he loves.

22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I did have a thought earlier that if someone like Arctic Monkeys released ‘Come On To Me’ it’d be a hit. Unfortunately these days a song’s quality has less and less bearing on chart position. Which is why I’m always apprehensive to hear Paul saying he’s trying to make a hit. It’s a losing game, through no fault of his own, so I’d prefer he just follow his instincts and make a great album, chart position be damned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    theMess, Paulwalrus and Paul H like this.
  23. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I've All I Need getting radio spins now. Nice. My least favorite track on that excellent album. Excited for his 2nd album next year.

SteveM likes this.
  24. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm not a critic and I rarely react to what they think. I react to what I think. And I don't think that his songs lacked introspection or that they revealed nothing before. I think they were personal and revelatory while being universally applicable. I don't feel that from it any more. I'm glad you seem to.

If you think he wrote "about salamanders" or that I was writing about songs "about salamanders," it explains a lot. But thanks for that, because obviously songs "about salamanders" is exactly what I meant.
    It's not on him at all. But I'm not going to pretend it doesn't matter or isn't possible just because he and those other musicians can't produce it, either. It's definitely not his responsibility to provide that, though. I was speaking more to how I feel and why than to what he should or shouldn't do.

Well, I heard once he may have been in a car crash and lost it.

I do think it's a little weird to compare discussing a singer's singing to discussing that singer's hair as if they are the same thing. One's frivolous and one's integral, but both are interesting. They're not the same, though. To me anyway. Maybe they're equally important to some and thus the comparison.

I pretty clearly stated I can enjoy the songs as songs. I wasn't writing about enjoyment, I was getting at something deeper, but if you don't do deeper that's fine too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well whichever. I saw half the song live in that video from the pub. Don't remember a Coral in that version, but it was garbled & cuts off right there.

My main points were, I thought that was a real Coral & it sounds like Abe on drums & probably Wix on some of the keyboards. I'm glad Brian Ray got to play too.

I was happy to hear a good track with most or all the band. Maccas bass is sublime, the sound of the kick & bass locked, the EQ just sonically incredible & those Tom fills holy smokes.

I wonder if they slowed it down to half speed for the drums like House of wax.

The other thing, a lot of that stuff sounds like the producer muting things, flitting them in & out to enhance the arrangement... The brief use of horns, the coral sitar, the organ, & I wonder if there's a harmonium in one spot.

Anyway, sounds like the producer tailored where to use the bits in Come On To Me & where to mute them. For example they bring the coral back on the very very end.... Stuff like that is almost certainly tailored in the mix, & the horns... The organ maybe was only played where we hear it... Anyway

I dig Come On, They could dump that last breakdown, go that sublime bass fill & enter with the yeahyeah & little Richard bit & walk out like they did.

But they could've trimmed 10-20 seconds & skipped the last breakdown, bad call there imo.

jricc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.