New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

While we're here I'll add one more irrefutable statistic:

The human death rate is one per person and will be for the foreseeable future.

theMess and jammincrowe like this.
  2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Probably because Bob and Willie never had smooth singing voices. One was a mumbling semi-talker and the other, a nasally balladeer. Paul on the other hand has fallen quite a ways from his younger abilities vocally.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  3. Brother Nerk

Brother Nerk Forum Resident

DRM, Thank You! I didn't connect the lyrics. Paul tells about that night in his interview on Fresh Air. See the transcript at npr.org, following Ringo's interview.

DRM likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I'd never SEEN anything like it either. But Iv HEARD lot s of peoples(artists and non-artists) voice change when they get older
    Besides how many singers have we followed IP to Paus age. Admittedely a few but most artists have called it a day at that age

I333I and Paulwalrus like this.
  5. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'm on it! ;)

theMess, MsMaclen, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  6. Yfncl223

Yfncl223 Forum Resident

Carpool Karaoke gets 10 million views in one day.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I know a lot of people don't like it. It has a lot of good memories, for me, connected to it. But I don't play it that often.

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s a bit funny some seems upset and feel "manipulatef" when learning the TV-show was set-up
    Sort of like the frustration among children when they finally learn Santa Clause doesn t exist.
    On TV everything is set-up by different bits and pieces. Some examples from the show. Stopping by the Penny Lane sign. Before the stop they had cleeared the place.
    Barbershop -the same as above. Of course it was pre-planned just like the visit in Pauls old home turned museum.
    The pubscene was totally set up. It might have been that some of the audience whi didn t know exactley knew which the secret artists were but everyone there knew they were in a TV-show.s.Some of the dwellers there were staff some lucky ones might have been getting a seat in the show.It had been announced before and the pub was closed for ordinary guests and business.
    By the way did one see mobilephones up on the air filming just on one song. Why didn t anything leak on You Tube exept a clip from the new song the company wanted to plug?
    How could James change clothes in a second?
    Of course James didn t start to cry while singing Let it be?
    Does Santa Claus exist?

Still loved the show -a great piece of television
    :)

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I love Colin Blunstone and his voice but Colin doesn't have to sing Helter Skelter. :D

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I think of singers like Bob Dylan, Roger Daltry, Van Morrison...I hear plenty of changes in their vocals. I don't see Paul having any out of the ordinary trouble speaking. I hear a weaker man who is 76 and has lived 3 lifetimes, in a way. So even his speaking voice is weaker. In 4 years he'll be 80. He's an older man. His strained voice is his badge of honor, at this point. It represents so much and speaks volumes. People have no idea, really, what it's like to have used his voice the way he has. Just listening to the various vocal parts in the Beatles that he sang. The concerts he's performed. How he's stretched himself, vocally. His schedule. Some people do not work in their 70's. Some die in their fifties. Or have heart attacks in their 40's. I don't know if he smokes or drinks, no that wouldn't help things. Judging this man's voice at this point...is to lose all perspective and is similar to straining gnats.

11. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

So the simpleton music and simpleton lyrics are "genius"? Even geniuses don't produce genius work all the time. It's okay to admit that not every Paul song is a great work of art. He's had a bigger share of those than just about anyone, but let's be realistic.

RubenH likes this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

My inside sources told me that some time ago, but I wasn’t allowed to leak the info.

theMess, Hep Alien, Bruce M. and 2 others like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Thanks for a brilliant post that I totally agree with. Just as the recent TV-show showed a thin somewhat fragile old man that still performed the show at the very top of his game.

theMess, JDeanB and DRM like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How could you say such a thing. Everything Paul has ever touched is genius. He even farts in a genius way. Even songs like Bip Bop and Smile away are defitively of Nobel prize quality lyrically and of Mozart calibre musically.
    :)

Buggyhair likes this.
  15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I just hope if these July small venue shows materialize that he takes advantage for more adventurous setlists including 4 or more of the new album songs. Heck, play through the whole thing!

16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

And how many times has he actually performed live, compared to Paul. I never agreed with the incessant touring, because I knew he was blowing out his voice. I wish he had preserved it for the recording studio.

Deano6 and graystoke like this.
  17. Cookary02

Cookary02 Forum Resident

That's definitely a factor, but Colin's toured a lot regardless, particularly in continental Europe and the Netherlands where he's deservedly a superstar. There is something wrong with Paul compared to Colin, but I don't think it a problem if he's still writing strong material.

18. daveidmarx

I won't presume to answer for Frank (who has probably already answered on his own - I still have over 30 pages to read), but I CAN say that "Heather" (the song) is one of the most joyous melodies the man has EVER wrote, and that song never fails to lift my mood by several degrees whenever it pops up on a playlist. My favorite song the man has written over the past 30 years.

theMess, Hep Alien, Paul H and 10 others like this.
  19. daveidmarx

Valentine Day
    Hot As Sun/Glasses (a bit of vocal creeps up on the 'Suicide' tag)
    Don't Cry Baby (Oo You instrumental)
    Momma Miss America
    Singalong Junk
    *Maybe I'm Amazed (instrumental)
    Kreen-Akrore
    *A Love For You (instrumental)
    *Hey Diddle (instrumental)
    *Monkberry Moon Delight (instrumental)
    *Long Haired Lady (instrumental)
    *The Back Seat Of My Car (instrumental)
    Sunshine Sometime
    The Great Cock And Seagull Race
    Bip Bop
    Mumbo
    Give Ireland Back To The Irish [version]
    *Hi, Hi, Hi (instrumental)
    *Night Out (instrumental)
    Loup (1st Indian On The Moon)
    *Jazz Street
    *Band On The Run (instrumental)
    *Jet (instrumental)
    *Let Me Roll It (instrumental)
    *Helen Wheels (instrumental)
    Zoo Gang
    *Junior's Farm (instrumental)
    Walking In The Park With Eloise
    Bridge On The River Suite
    *One Hand Clapping
    *Tomorrow (instrumental)
    *Proud Mum
    *Venus And Mars (instrumental)
    Crossroads Theme
    Lunch Box/Odd Sox
    Warm And Beautiful (instrumental demo)
    *Time To Hide (instrumental)
    I'm Looking For Someone To Love (on Holly Days)
    *Dervish Crazy Moog
    *Mull Of Kintyre (instrumental demo)
    Cuff Link
    *Waterspout (instrumental)
    *Morse Moose And The Grey Goose (instrumental)
    *Tippi Tippi Toes (Parents Theme)
    *Flying Horses
    *When The Wind Is Blowing
    *The Palace Of The King Of The Birds
    *Storm
    *Nutwood Scene
    *Walking In The Meadow
    *Sea Melody
    Reception
    Rockestra Theme
    Rudolph The Red Nosed Reggae
    Maisie
    Front Parlour
    Summer's Day Song (instrumental)
    Frozen Jap
    Blue Sway
    Bogey Wobble
    *Juggler
    Say Say Say (instrumental)
    Hey Hey
    *Newt Rack
    Theme From The Honorary Consul
    Goodnight Princess
    Press (dub)
    Hanglide
    *Act 1: Right
    *Act 2: Wrong
    *Act 3: Justice
    *Act 4: Punishment
    *Act 5: Payment
    *Act 6: Release
    Squid
    Ou Est Le Soleil? (instrumental)
    *Hope Of Deliverance (instrumental)
    *Stella May Day
    *From A Lover To A Friend (instrumental)
    *Really Love You (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Long Haired Lady (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Rinse The Raindrops (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Darkroom (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Temporary Secretary (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *What's That You're Doing (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Lalula (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Maybe I'm Amazed (Twin Freaks instrumental)
    *Jenny Wren (instrumental)
    *Riding To Vanity Faire (instrumental)
    *At The Mercy (instrumental)
    *Anyway (instrumental)
    I've Only Got Two Hands
    *Dance Tonight (instrumental)
    In Private
    222 (a couple of spoken asides)
    My Soul (instrumental)
    Sun Is Shining (instrumental)
    He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (instrumental)

theMess, MsMaclen, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm not sure I understand your point. And since you've only repeated it three times (in a day), maybe you should repeat it some more? You know, because my brain is so child like, I just can't comprehend the point like mature adults like you do... :confused:

Elliottmarx, graystoke and Frank like this.
  21. daveidmarx

Funny you should mention that album, as I'm listening to it right now! The four song stretch on the second half of the album (About You-Heather-Back In The Sunshine Again-Your Loving Flame) is one of the strongest such stretches on any album of his entire career. Man could still belt it out at this point too. I remember being a little concerned with some of the vocals on Run Devil Run, as they sounded a bit strained (though I'd gladly take that "strain" in Paul's voice today), but the vocals on Driving Rain as a whole (especially those four tracks) are probably the best he's put on any album post-1983 or so. What a fantastic album! :)

gja586, theMess, MsMaclen and 7 others like this.
  22. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Paul, when the fuh will you release the tracklist?

23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ok, I'm caught up to Tuesday night, and am once again 100 pages behind.

I've now heard both sides of the new single via youtubbes and I think I might just skip ahead...

PS, for the record, on first listening, I like Come On To Me. I think I Don't Know may grow on me with repeated listenings. It sounds ok, but like I said maybe will grow. I wasn't sure about New at first [thought it was trying a bit tooo hard] but that one I've since come to really appreciate [pun semi-intended]...

24. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

My point is that you could not write the same caliber as what he throws in the garbage.

OobuJoobu and Paulwalrus like this.
  25. daveidmarx

According to whom, exactly? :wtf:

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.