New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, but I hate to think of all the time I spent driving, chasing around to various record stores to pick up the various CD singles from say.. Flaming Pie because I just HAD to have things like..."Broomstick." :shake: :D

2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I would have LOVED to hear Paul produced by Mark Hudson due to the sonic wonders he worked with Ringo. Real drums. Live feel. Good groove. Beatle-sounding background vocals.

scoostraw likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It's tough to say which was the better way, really. Often, especially in terms of those cd-singles, you might be looking at buying CD1 and CD2 to get all the b-sides and, as imports, they might cost $10/ea. If "New" had 2-part cd singles for New, Queenie Eye, Save Us, Early Days and/or Appreciate, you could conceivably be looking at 8-10 cd singles at $10, plus the album purchase. Yeah, you might get some neat "single" artwork, but I think we have a tendency to over-romanticize that bygone era. When you look back to Flowers and all the tracks released on its variations (7"/12"/cd3/cd5/Japan/World Tour Pack), I seem to recall more gripes than compliments.

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

This brings up a good point to chat about that is not coffee related. Which album do you feel has the best b-sides/bonus tracks or whatever you want to call them?

My personal favorite is Chaos and Creation with all of it's incredible bonus material, but it's one of the few latter day albums that do not have a deluxe version with all the various bonus tracks added!

The b-sides for Chaos were:
    "Comfort of Love"
    "Growing Up Falling Down"
    "Summer of '59"
    "This Loving Game"
    "I Want You to Fly"
    "She Is So Beautiful"

P.S. I love every one of these songs! So unique and so fun!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. Glenn Christense

:laugh:

Oh lord, yes I have that World Tour Pack and the "This One" pack with the postcards, etc., etc.
    Why did I think I needed these things?

Man, if I actually took an inventory of all the "collectable" and "Limited Edition" and "Deluxe Edition" solo things I have, I'd probably get a little sick. :D

6. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

That was the story of probably many McCartney fans starting with the madness around the "No More Lonely Nights" singles. Then the Press To Play era took the entire thing to another level with multiple singles, remixes, etc... There was a record store in Maryland that I used for all my import orders. They used to get things from the UK within a couple days or so.

I much prefer that world over having to download certain things, go to Target for certain things, etc....

Ludger, theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  7. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Thank you. I like this.

The finished version is way too tarted up for my taste.

8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hey! I happen to like Broomstick! :rant:

Besides, think about how much time it takes driving around the internet to find all this stuff..... :shh:

Paul H, Tord and Glenn Christense like this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

• Since I won't get political, I actually thought you were making a joke. Or just using the opportunity to put forth some personal beliefs. I'm hoping Despite Repeated Warnings is progressive like progressive rock. Like the second side of Abbey Road. Or some experimental extended instrumental music ...interspersed with vocals. Similar to EA or DR.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

There is a lot of sense in what you're saying here. I can kind of agree with you so I guess it comes down to personal taste. It does get expensive with all the part 1&2 singles but I still enjoy a single. I'd rather have a shelf of "new, appreciate, Queenie eye, save us" instead of "new, new target, new best buy, new Japan, new collector edition, new Japan tour edition, new indie store, new deluxe"
    But on the other hand it is a little tiresome having "figure eight Slimline, figure of eight gatefold, figure of eight 3", figure of eight 7", figure of eight 12", figure of eight 12" 2nd edition"
    In the end I guess it doesn't matter cause if it is Paul McCartney it's going to end up on my shelf.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Not sure about "Pure"...

12. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I had one record shop that ordered in all those Macca imports and I went up there and made it a point to get to know the owner. It got to the point where I knew so we'll we would call me to tell me when any single or album was announced and he would just order however many copies of whatever version/format I wanted. This was my normal for everything released from flaming pie - memory almost full. That is when that shop closed. I miss it.

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  13. Glenn Christense

I'd have to look at my collection of questionable crap, um.. I mean my priceless collection when I'm home but..

Off the top of my head , they weren't originally part of the package but I have two different Wildlife CDs adding " Little Woman Love","Mary Had a Little Lamb," Mama's Little Girl", "Oh Woman Oh Why","Give Ireland Back to the Irish", and "Give Ben Back to the Orphanage". I'm one of the minority that loves the album to begin with and when I get these other songs added it's amazing to me.

I keep bringing it up but maybe Sir Sean Murdock might be willing to post his Chaos comp.

He's added all the extra tracks and some bits from the DVD and it actually makes for a much better, satisfying listening experience than just the album etc.

theMess, Dr. Pepper and Bemagnus like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Right now I'm celebrating holiday in Italy. Last night they were spinning Kisses on the Bottom in the bar. Great to hear while enjoying lovely Italian dinner. That experience only strengthened my ions on that Kisses is a great album and My Valentine a song good enough to stand up against most anything Paul has composed. This music will live on I'm certain of that
    :)

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Wild Life is a good one for sure-been a favorite of mine since first released.

16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Apparently though the point of physical singles is now moot. We just get to look forward to multiple versions of the album instead. Collecting singles was more fun I thought. Since they were for a limited time, collecting seemed like you were getting something temporary like a fleeting moment in time. The albums will always be reissued.

Collecting a "limited" version of an album that just contains different packaging isn't as fun for me. I'll probably get a few of the album variations but really will be holding out the for the Luxury Rolls Royce Crown Jewels Edition or whatever they are going to do. Simply because I really just want the music.

theMess, mrjinks and Wiserforthetime like this.
  17. Glenn Christense

Well, I'm older than you so it started for me when I was chasing down the "Mary Had a Little Lamb" 45 with picture sleeve and the Country Hams "Walking in the Park with Eloise " 45 with picture sleeve, etc., etc. :D

I crab about it now, but it was actually enjoyable going on the hunt and satisfying when I tracked these goofball things down.

jricc, Paul H, Monasmee and 2 others like this.
  18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

This one is definitely up there. For me though, I'm going to have to go with Off The Ground for the win. Those b-sides were spectacular, varied and often better than the album tracks.

jeremylr and Darrin L. like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Nice!

Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

Yes, another forum member that enjoys Kisses on The Bottom! I hope Paul revisits this style of music again for another release!

Tord, Monasmee, theMess and 2 others like this.
  21. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

And hardly anyone knows what the hell it is.

jricc, omikron, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

True dat, I'm hardly anyone and I don't know what the hell it is!

theMess likes this.
  23. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Thrillington, theMess and mikecarrera like this.
  24. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

My theory:
    July 17th
    July 20th
    July 28th
    July 30th
    THE SECRET STATION TOUR!
    Secret gigs as Paul mentionned few days ago in an interview (including one at the Cavern in Liverpool?)

What did I win?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018
    Paperback Writer likes this.
  25. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I started searching for rarities when I was about 12, which was in 1983 - looking for all the non-album B-Sides, and whatnot. I imagine your process of searching was similar.

I used to have a mental list of everything I was looking for. Then I'd go into every record store I'd come across and scan everything for that list. I'd beg my parents to stop at a record store I saw in a plaza while driving by. Then I made note of the good record stores for future reference. I was stymied when there were many new releases, and they were only available overseas. I was lucky to find the record store that sold imports by mail order.

However, I never found a 45 of "Give Ireland Back To The Irish". I found the "Mary Had A Little Lamb" 45 with the sleeve at a record show in 1984. I got "Hi Hi Hi" at the same record show. I never saw a Country Hams 45.

My son downloads everything from Apple Music. No fun in that, IMO. But Apple Music doesn't have everything. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.