New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

ohnothimagen, Darrin L. and theMess like this.
  2. RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68 Forum Resident

The release date will see this going up against Paul Simon's new album.

MsMaclen, jlf, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  3. mrjinks

I think Paul will win that battle.

:D

McCartney, that is, since his is all new material vs. re-recordings for Simon.

4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

McCartney will sell more surely, but the EPK for the Simon work makes it look very classy, artistic and of extreme high quality. My belief is that Capitol wants a Grammy for Egypt Station - Into the Blue Light might now be in the way.

jlf and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  5. mrjinks

The days of McCartney/Simon being serious competitors for album of the year are over, methinks. Drake seems an obvious choice this year - can’t imagine anything will make the kind of splash that disc did.

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Have they released anything from the Simon album. I love Simon, but haven't been enthralled with anything by him since "Rhythm". Plus, I'm trepidatious about an album of reinterpretations, because it just seems unnecessary. Especially, "How the Heart Approaches What it Yearns", from probably my favorite, and his most underappreciated album. There is no way to improve upon it.

Elliottmarx and Jerryb like this.
  7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Agreed...they had their time, but it's over.

Bruce M. and Elliottmarx like this.
  8. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

A great track that should have been on both the lp and cd proper.

Darrin L. likes this.
  9. Just call it Back in the U.S.S.R or “The Russian Album” and you’ll do just find!

Sean Murdock and mrjinks like this.
  10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I believe both Paul’s have released superb albums late in their career. Stranger to Stranger and So Beautiful or So What are amazing albums

11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

New single, tracklist, something should break soon. It's getting close. 52 days or 51

FKA002 and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I've recently listened to the Band On The Run 25th Anniversary Radio Special and had been thinking about recent comments concerning the recent 'one-man-band' style Paul has been using in the last several years.

In the radio special Paul specifically made the point (and Denny) that Linda was a significant contribuition to Paul's nee Wings' music. Paul would "bounce ideas" off of Linda. Linda therefore had a significant impact on Paul's music.

Having Linda play with Paul led to a natural progression to playing with a band. Looking back and reading this insightful comment, I also came to the same conclusion that Linda's passing irrevocably altered Paul's music and the way he made it.

It can't be any coincidence that Paul started moving away from the band format after Linda was gone. He didn't have her there in the music process and therfore chose to start making more of the music by himself.

Like Wiseforthetime, I'm not going to judge Linda and her contribution. I like all phases of Paul's career for various reasons. I merely wished to note this observation and how much of an impact Linda truly had on Paul's music. it cannot be downplayed.

13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Source?

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

As a typesetter and grammar/language nerd, I do appreciate the lesson. :righton: What in your background gives you this knowledge? I can't imagine you researched the Russian language just so you can show off in Paul McCartney threads...... :agree:

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

After seeing that both Paul's were at least nominated for the Grammy album of the year in every decade from the 60's onwards, I had really hoped both 'So Beautiful' and 'New' would be nominated so that the run would keep on going, and was especially disappointed to see 'New' miss out.

It is interesting that both Paul's are releasing new albums in the same month; I can't see the Grammy's nominating Simon's re-inteprations in the main album of the year category, but I am hoping that if 'Egypt Station' is as good as the Kurstin interview makes it sound, then it may be nominated, although I am sure that even if it was the best album of Paul's career there is no way that it would win at this point in time.

16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Please no. All Paul please. Or even better whatever Paul wants to do is fine with me. He has earned that much at least.

17. Dr. Pepper

Wait Simon's last album came out about a year and a half ago didn't it? Thought he said he was done making albums! We'll a red letter day for all Paul fans I guess.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  18. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I thought he just expressed interest in not touring, didn’t know he said he was done making albums.

jlf and theMess like this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

He ain't got no source, just speculating its about time.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

Paul Simon sure sounded in great voice on his most recent album.

21. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

It also seems that in the recent past the Grammys would invite Paul (I’m thinking both for Chaos and Creation, as well as Memory Almost Full). He performs live, they hype the event, but he doesn’t win. Although if it’s Dylan or Springsteen, might as well hand the award right away.

Sadly, I agree. It could be the album of Paul’s career, and it still would not win. I would love to be wrong.

theMess likes this.
  22. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

Solo Macca Nominations for the Grammy Album of the Year Award:

70s Band on the Run
    80s Tug of War
    90s Flaming Pie
    00s Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

10s Egypt Station?

foxylady, theMess, MelodyFair and 2 others like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Album of the year. Seems a bit premature to speculate abiut an album not released yet
    Besides i guess someone like Drake might be a closer guess
    But rumours are that Egypt Station will get a special award Namely-Brst album with a pyramide on the cover..........
    So everyone will end up happy
    :)

Glenn Christense and Dr. Pepper like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

That would sure be nice.

theMess and beatle_giancarlo like this.
  25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

You are kidding right ?

I was expressing an opinion or hope, not a news story from Insiders.

DRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.