New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

It's ok, I'll be your source and you can be mine alright?

This just in: Well known McCartney insider says Paul McCartney and Paul Simon's upcoming vinyl releases will be switched in their respective record sleeves to both surprise and expand their current audience. Plus to prove to each other's audiences that both performers are still alive and releasing albums. It is feared that some fans may not notice the difference. That is all.

Yorick, Johnny Reb, theMess and 2 others like this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, if memory (almost full) serves, you and I are about a year apart (young enough to be Glenn's grandkids). When I started college in '83, I was fascinated by all things Russian/Soviet, and I wound up majoring in Russian Language and Russian Studies (+literature/history), plus a third, unrelated major.

I had one memorable college trip to the USSR in '85, studying for a month - this was pre-Gorbachev, so things were quite different from nowadays! A second trip to Kiev, Ukraine was planned for the summer of '86, but my classmates and I got cold feet when this thing called Chernobyl hit the news. [BTW, your absence in "The Americans" thread was noted this year - and you are under surveillance for said transgression...]

A few fun '85 Beatle memories from the CCCP:
    • Being college students, our alcoholic tastes were somewhat limited. We wanted screwdrivers at our Moscow hotel bar, but they didn't have orange juice, so they made them with Fanta orange soda. We called them Fanta-Drivers. :) One night, we were in the bar and they had a group of Russian women playing "rock and roll" to entertain the foreigners (only foreigners stayed in hotels together, for the most part; Soviets stayed in their own hotels). I remember giggling to myself as I heard: "vell she vas just seventeen, and you know, vat I mean..."*
    • On another occasion, we were at lunch/dinner (?) at our Moscow hotel, when I swore I could recognize the melody of the (Russian vocal) cover song that was being piped in, ala muzak, on the sound system. The melody of the piano-driven number was SO familiar, but the unfamiliar Russian words were throwing me. And then I heard the "ah-ah-AH-ah" vocal cadence and realized I was hearing "Imagine", sung in Russian. :righton:
    • That was also shortly after they released two official 45 rpm EP's by John & Paul, which I brought home as proud "souvenirs". Then they seemed to be everywhere at collector shows in coming years. The McCartney one has an a-side of "I Love You" (can you guess it?), with two BOTR cuts on the flip (Jet/No Words), while the Lennon one has Imagine/How b/w Gimme Some Truth/Oh My Love
      • [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • My only other "rock and roll" memory was when we ventured out solo one night (sans the group) and wound up behind some semi-drunk teens. As they were parting for the evening, I recall them singing to each other: "goodbye, ruby tuezday". :)

*One more gripe, while I'm going. There is no "W" sound in Russian. Though I like Star Trek, I wanna smack Chekov every time he talks about "Wodka" - they don't do W sounds "vell", so to speak!!!

3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

As someone who drinks quite a bit of vodka, I can relate to all of this!

4. mrjinks

Further lesson: Vodka in Russian = водка. Water in Russian = вода.

Always found that interesting.

5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yeah, for Russian w and v would be the same: "в". Good example: vodka and water...

theMess, Greenalishi and mrjinks like this.
  6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Without the “W” my understanding is that Moscow is pronounced Mos Coe.

theMess, Dr. Pepper and Greenalishi like this.
  7. Thumper

Thumper Forum Resident

Is this a Macca thread or a Russian language lesson?

Allen Michael likes this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

It can be all the things.

Thumper, Johnny Reb, theMess and 4 others like this.
  9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes,

10. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

In Soviet Russia, all Macca thread is Russian thread. :D I had to, sorry.

Tord, Thumper, Allen Michael and 4 others like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Interesting. I don t know any Russian but spend a little tome in Moscow in th late seventies. Being a swede it s not far away. Of course lit s if things have changed but the russians are a special people and a special culture. Not least when it comes to alcohol
    A bit of-topic of course but nevertheless interesting

mrjinks likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely love I Wanna Cry! I"ve always thought that it would be the perfect replacement for Let Me Roll It in his setlist. I agree that it's McCartney's absolute best blues song. It should have been on the album.

Darrin L. likes this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

With that said "Pauls absolutely best blues song" doesn t say much since blues is not a musical style Pauls talents shines the most. Besides that OIwould respectfully argue that On the way from McCartney 2 might be Pauls most realised blues number. But thats me

14. mrjinks

I have no idea where “Moscow” came from! Drives me nuts! In Russian, it’s MOCKBA, which translates “moskVA” (2nd syllable emphasis).

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I just copy the Cyrillic lettering. I even use it in iTunes for the album title and artist. (Пол Маккартни). It works on my iPod too, although of the three iPods that I've owned, only my first one was able to display the ॐ symbol. I think it might be due to the size of it. Even in iTunes on my computer, if I play something from Thirty Three & 1/ॐ, the text in the "now playing" section will be very blurry.

Now, if only they'd make those pesky Zeppelin runes into unicode, I could finally use them properly instead of Led Zeppelin IV as I currently have that album listed

planckera, mrjinks and theMess like this.
  16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How is Wings spellt in russian?
    :)

theMess likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Fascinating, thank you! And my absence in the "Americans" thread was an omission on my part and not the result of anything nefarious. I did watch the last season and will seek out the thread to elaborate there.

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Discovered on youtube

19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Number 5, Number 5.... No, I really like this. I'm so excited for this release!

20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Third one found on Japanese YouTube channel

22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Things seems to be moving now. Keep them coming
    :)

Allen Michael likes this.