New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

To be completely honest Frank, I don't remember myself how much talk there is about drugs in the book.
    I don't think drugs were dwelled upon enough to be a problem though.

I just remember that I liked the fact that it was about Paul's solo years, not the typical same old same old and Paul answered questions with more actual insight than usual and other band members commented on what it was like being in a band with Paul.

I just pulled it off the shelf to re-read it .
    If you read it again please let me know what you think about it.

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I don't think there's much doubt that I'll give it another read since it came so highly recommended.:righton:

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Thank you .
    I just hope now as I'm reading it again I don't think to myself..
    "What a piece of dung this book is. Why did I recommend it to Frank and others?"

:laugh:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    theMess and Frank like this.
  4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Ha: "He can be as slippery as a politician, expertly ducking a question and sometimes making you return to it three times before he tackles it head-on. At other points, he begins to drift into old anecdotes that you’ve heard or read him relate dozens of times. In these moments, you’re forced to interject to try to steer him gently back towards less familiar terrain...Being a seasoned interviewee, he is well practised in the art of talking a lot while giving very little away."

How dare you sir?!? The fans are FINE with it. They all piled on to tell me so! What if it's the first time someone has heard of Hey Jude? What then, I ask?

jlf, susyredstripe, theMess and 2 others like this.
  5. Glenn Christense

I'm just in the introduction and the author nails it:

"But interviewing Paul is like panning for gold. He can be as slippery as a politician, expertly ducking a question and sometimes making you return to it three times before he tackles it head-on.
    At other points, he begins to drift into old anecdotes you've read or heard him relate dozens of times. In these moments, you're forced to interject to try to steer him gently back towards less familiar terrain....
    Being a seasoned interviewee, he is well practiced in the art of talking a lot while giving little away."

Frank, did you write this book ?
    Are you actually Tom Doyle ? :D ;)

Edit: Yikes ! You just posted the same thing I did, and I didn't see your post because I was typing mine, I swear.
    That spooks me out! :laugh:

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Are we really going to read this together like a high school literature class?

7. Glenn Christense

:p
    No you are on your own now .

I'm not kidding. I originally opened my last post with "Ha" also but I deleted it.

The fact that we both pulled the same section out of the intro and posted it defies the odds I would think.

theMess and Frank like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

...or it directly relates to a day long conversation we've been having and we both, being skilled readers, noticed it.

Glenn Christense and theMess like this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I have the book and it's definitively a good read for anyone interested in Paul and Wings. Being a swede and a witness to Wings 1972 swedish gigs the part covering that tumultuous time is of a particular interest. There was a drug-bust and to this day I remember how Paul's attitude upset people. Among other things he claimed after leaving the police station that all publicity was good publicity.Guess it s a bit hard for some of the younger participants here to grasp the almost punky attitude Paul had at this time. Also the closest I ever get to Paul since he and Linda signed my tour-programme after the Stockholm gig. By the way one of the greatest rock n roll experiences I ever had. Sad enough I lost this programmer somewhere along the way.

10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

While I love the idea, I suspect that 90% of his replies will be "I don't actually remember that one at all", or just "well, it was just another song really; not much to say about it".

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

But it s true-Paul is a seasoned and slippery interview-object. Personally I don t see much wrong with that. He want s things on his terms and is very good at it. Thing is he ain't t a politician . Politicians has things to answer for and live up to that in my opinion artists don t.

maywitch likes this.
  12. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Literally just found the Man On The Run book at the bargain store for about $4 like a month ago, read it cover to cover. I loved Tom Doyle's recent Elton John book but always wanted to nab this one at a decent price. It was a very good insight from Paul and the other members of Wings. I would love to read a second volume continuing the story from 1982-present. I was already deep in the midst of a McCartney solo kick when the two new singles came out. I found the last few chapters very emotional, actually. I felt it really brought Paul into more human terms rather than other books I've read on him. I was amazed at how much information was included in such a relatively thinner book.

13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

True-I think it s perfectly clear in the deluxebooks how little Paul actually remembers about his old stuff. Don t think he ever listened to say At the speed of sound from it s release until doin the archive-set were he is surpris of how good some songs are like The note you never wrote. Guess many artists are that way
    We on the other hand knows every note by heart even though I hardly remember details of my work in the seventies.
    Actually there is a saying that those who manage to remember the seventies didn't t experience it.
    And honestly-our Paul was rather influenced by jazz-tobacoe during that wonderful decade

:)

Paul H likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'd never expect Paul to do what Ringo has done in the past where he says "Look, I'm not here to talk about The Beatles, I'm here to talk about my new album/tour". When Ringo was interviewed by CBC a couple of years back Peter Mansbridge (the interviewer, and undoubtedly like many interviewers before him) was told beforehand not to bring up The Beatles unless Ringo did first. Paul would never do that.
    Paul has indeed had lots of tea, but George was the biscuit guy!
    Indeed we do, but what kind of smoke? Homegrown? Purple Indica? Black Moroccan hash? What? Inquiring minds wanna know, dammit!:laugh:
    Fans can be downright dangerous, as both John and George found out the hard way...

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Another counterfeit-I rather like them

susyredstripe likes this.
  16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Via さぼてん Some symphonic and creative mixing.

Bemagnus likes this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It is fun-obviosly fake. Or perhaps some backwards kind of marketing. Who knows.
    As an example I find the You-tube click from the pub-gig highly suspious. If the "unknowing"
    audience really filled the gig with their phones-why on earth did only a clip of the new single come up on You Tube. So there might be things goin on here we really don t know much about

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I most agree with your "backwards kind of marketing" comment. Even the video clip is sophisticated and creative.

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

Fake, shazam said it's Scheherazade: IV The Festival at Baghdad by Sir Charles Mackerras & London Symphony Orchestra

Paperback Writer and Bemagnus like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I recogniced Sheherazade but didn t know the recording. Good job there

21. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I'm not ruling out sampling...and giving credit where credit is due. Paul DID work with Kim Kardashian's husband tecently. Paul could be paying tribute...and placing himself in history alongside the Masters. George Martin sampled some in All You Need Is Love. And in I Am The Walrus.

Bemagnus likes this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Come on to me has had sone 400 thousand spinns on Spotify the last days-now 2,5 millions. Of course it s not Drake but for a new Macca single this doin surprisingly well
    Why
    It s catchy and got a good beat-modern and old-fashioned at the same time

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I Don't Know continues to grow on me. Listened to it a few days ago and liked it more than ever.

25. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Definitely nails it. Over the years, I think some journalists have been fooled by Paul's tactics in interviews. Some even seem to think his generic remarks suggest he's not very smart. Or that he's a bad interview. In fact, he doesn't want the public to know too much about him or his private life. Which seems a strange thing to say about one of the most famous people on the planet. A good example is how little the public gets to see inside any of Paul's homes, compared with other celebrities. He does nearly all of his interviews at his London office or inside that windmill on his Sussex farm -- but never (or hardly ever) does he allow journalists inside his home in Sussex or in any of his other homes. Keith Richards has allowed photogs to take pics of him in his library at his Connecticut home. In 2012, Mick Jagger allowed Vogue magazine to publish a big splashy spread about his NY apartment with the late L'Wren Scott. I can't see Paul ever allowing, say, Architectural Digest to do a big spread on his NY penthouse apartment with Nancy. He doesn't want us in there.

I've always thought "Nobody Knows" was, in part, about his view on his own privacy: "But still there's nobody knows. No now, nobody knows. And that's the way I like to keep it. Just so nobody knows."

I think that IS how Paul likes to keep it.

maywitch, angelees, supermd and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.