New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I stick to my original opnion.
    Egypt Station is the best McCartney album I hav not heard.
    I now realise@ Sean Murdoch feel the same. It s real euphoria.
    :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM
  2. If I remember correctly, McCartney had announced that Big Boys Bickering would appear on Off The Ground. I think some negative reactions to its lyrics led to it being relegated to a B-side. But yeah, I remember seeing it on TV and reading a blurb about it in Rolling Stone before Off The Ground was released.

Speaking of that, I thought leading off the album’s single releases with Hope of Deliverance was a bit unconventional, yet daring. Its Latin percussion was unlike anything on the pop or rock airwaves at the time. Still think it’s a really great track.

3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely agree; I have always felt that 'Hope Of Deliverance' had the ingratiating melody and universal lyrics of a Beatles single quality song, and can imagine them releasing that song had they reunited through the years. It was a deserved hit around many parts of the world, and it's just a shame that in the US it didn't perform better. Bringing this back on topic, I will be very happy if 'Back In Brazil' is anywhere near as good as 'Hope Of Deliverance'!

jricc, Mr. Explorer, Calico and 2 others like this.
  4. I remember hearing Hope of Deliverance on the radio for the first time when I was at a restaurant—I knew that it was coming out but I didn’t know exactly when—and then immediately buying the Hope of Deliverance Maxi Single (which was great, too). I don’t remember how much later the album was released but the Maxi Single, with its weird cardboard flip cover over a plastic frame, tied me over for a while.

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Shout out to "Sweet Sweet Memories" because it's the best of those b-sides, and no one's mentioned it !

6. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

I Owe It All to You

Last night you helped me through,
    Took me to the lovers zone.
    I saw there, images
    Projected on a wall of stone.
    I stood inside Egyptian temples,
    I looked into eternal gardens,
    Lay on the shores of distant islands,
    Listening to the sea birds song of joy.
    Oh, I owe it all to you,
    You make me happy,
    Oh, I owe it all to you.
    Late last night, we were right
    Into some exotic scene.
    Everywhere, images
    Appearing on a giant screen.
    I stood inside a glass cathedral,
    I looked into the golden canyon,
    Lay by the lakes of holy water
    Glistening like a diamond in the light.
    Oh, I owe it all to you,
    You make me happy,
    Oh, I owe it all to you.

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was very pleased when Paul performed it in Orlando in 2013; I wondered if he risked playing that song there because of the large Hispanic contingent who live in that city and the state of Florida ? It went down well enough and he should perform it more often, not just in South America.

8. jmxw

jmxw Forum Resident

Ah.. yes. Thanks for the great trip down memory lane... I remember hearing these and thinking "this album must be great if these are the tracks they put on the B-sides...." :winkgrin:

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

On many ways some of the B-sides are way better than the released album. Ecspecially that Down by the river song. Sometimes I wish Paul showed le have recorded more stuff like this. Rootsy tracks with simple arrangemen. He is very good at it when he chooses to
    Are we of-topic now?
    Fuh that

11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Tastes vary. I actually think the MAF mini-suite, if we want to call it that, is a high point of Paul's post-Beatle career. The Red Rose Speedway medley is one I'd be just fine with never hearing again.

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Of the ground will never be one of my favorite Paul albums. When it arrived I thought it was the real nadir of Paul's career. Then I got hold of the double disc featuring all the b-sides and changed my mind a bit
    Nowadays I don t find Of the Ground all that bad.There are a few really good ones there -Winedark open sea is a particular favorite of mine. Great vocals there and somehow a different vibe compared to most other McCartney songs. I was happy that it was included on Pure McCartney

13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

"Style Style" was the one I always liked the most.

14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Every time I hear this the more pissed off I get that it was left off of "Off the Ground."

15. omikron

It is quite fascinating that many people do think the b-sides are collectively better than most of the actual album.

16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

WineDark Open Sea in my mind is one of those honorable but frustrating near-misses like From a Lover to a Friend. There's a really beautiful song in there, about about halfway through it begins to lose steam and just wanders. It feels like instead of finishing it, Paul just kept going for a while and then stopped.

17. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Yeah, that pretty much came out of nowhere. It sucks that Paul doesn't make these kind of set-list diversions more often.

18. omikron

I can't wait to discuss all these OTG b-sides with you all on the Archive release thread in the year 2038!

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Apple Consigliere In Waiting

I wouldn't go quite that far myself, but it's definitely a very strong set of b-sides. "Kicked Around No More" and "I Can't Imagine" are the ones I would have definitely found room for on the album.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s interesting how different we sometimes hear music. It s the second half of Winedark open sea that makes it special for me. As far as I know it s the only time Paul let a song slip in the kind of hypnotic groove one finds here. It s almost like a Van Morrison track.
    But that s the great thing with music- that we hear things so different

Paul H, theMess, Yorick and 4 others like this.
  21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Haven’t heard Big Boys Bickering in 20 years. I love it.

jricc likes this.
  22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

He sounded damned good here. Though, it does miss Linda’s vocal here.

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...I'm also quite fond of "I Can't Imagine", as well.

jricc, theMess, foxylady and 2 others like this.
  24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Would’ve been my lead single from those sessions. “Hope of Deliverance” was always too slight for my tastes.

25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Apple Consigliere In Waiting

Even amont Beatles fanatics who revere the Off The Ground b-sides, I feel like "I Can't Imagine" gets overlooked somewhat. One of Paul's best pure pop songs since the '70s -- could have even been "power pop" if the production had been a little more aggressive.