New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

"Fuh You" is a nice ditty if you're in that kind of thing, I guess.
    For me it's nothing that makes me want to have that album tomorrow; none of the three releases singles have that quality for me to be honest.

klaatuhf, Zeki and Yorick like this.
  2. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

If it hasn't been mentioned there is previous form for this - The king of fuh released on Apple 8 back in the day by Brute force ( withdrawn -I wonder why ? ....very sought after record )

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Not Paul's Facebook page. This was a thread about Fuh You that I stumbled across. Just a short little thread with some interesting comments I thought I would share. I'll take a look at Paul's page.

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  4. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

That's nice to hear your friend ended up surprising your expectations and ended up liking the song.

Mr. Explorer and mrjinks like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Alright I've been to Paul's page and about 90% of the negative comments are not understanding the lyrics of the song and just saying shame on you naughty Paul I've been a big fan since 1964. Maybe they should just try something new like burning all his records. I wonder if Paul's page skews more negative than the thread I was reading because it skews older...hmmm. Anyway, the only negatives that I give any credence to are the ones about the music or production. Then it still skews positive. I don't believe in censorship, Paul can say or insinuate whatever he wants.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

When I Was a KID ~
    P***Y meant CAT
    SEX meant GENDER
    BITCH was a FEMALE DOG
    DICK was a Cartoon Character
    BANG was a SOUND
    NUTS were Fruits
    RUBBER was nothing but an ERASER
    ASS was an ANIMAL
    COCK was a Male Bird
    SCREW was just a TOOL
    HEAD meant a part of the BODY
    BALLS meant a round TOY
    LUBRICANT was Oil
    ORAL meant Poetry Recitation
    MISSIONARY meant a man of God
    & FUH YOU meant For You

The outrage and hatred to this song is more related to the listener than to the song!

7. Dr. Pepper

Oh by the way, I'm liking it more all the time and would not be surprised if it did crack the top 40 if it gets any radio play, we'll see. Oh and I still predict a #1 album for Paul's Egypt Station if they let him count the concert redeemable CDs.

8. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I love that version! And I love that sax. Yet generally I do prefer things ‘stripped down’. Can we all agree that a HUGE part of all this is what we all loved in our formative years and that there is no right and wrong?

Shak Cohen and Bemagnus like this.
  9. Dr Hibbert

Dr Hibbert Forum Resident

I think this song is a good example that the big pop hits are not as simple as they sound. Sadly Fuh You is as simple as it sounds.

I listened to this and Something Just Like This by Coldplay/Chainsmokers (a monster hit) side by side. They are in a different league in terms of depth and complexity of the music.

I also don’t think Paul can pull off the vocal on this one. With a light bouncy vocal it might have helped.

freddiebell likes this.
  10. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

Bemagnus and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I think what is so astounding about "Fuh You" is that it contains perhaps the most "Beatles" moment Paul has put in a song in ages. The refrain with harpsichord and strings is nothing but extraordinary. I love how youthful and celebratory, as well as honest the song is even if it does sound a bit like an early 90s pop hit. Great work, I can't wait for this album!

12. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Again, I was being very sarcastic in referring to the numerous times people have made this same comparison!

Is that true? It seems to me a fairly even split on those that like or dislike it.

As for me, I woke up with it in my head this morning and I’ve only had chance to listen to twice due to being on holiday. My second listen actually confirmed in my mind that he’s singing ‘want it for you’, but because he’s jumping up to a falsetto, and perhaps being a little older, he’s dropping the end of ‘for’ to take a breath.

As Tedder said, it’s a play on his pronunciation, and they both likely saw that playing on its double meaning would generate a lot of debate, and prudent criticism. And boy were they right!

13. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Unnecessarily offensive I think. It can’t be an argument to accuse anyone who likes a fun, pretty inconsequential pop song that you happen to not like of being a ‘fanboy’. Yet in my four years of lurking around these parts, I’ve seen similar comments time and time again. Weak argument, sorry.

14. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

As a young person, who grew up with the Beatles, I knew they stood for Peace, Love and were rowdy kids themselves. This song is not only totally typical of McCartney, but I'm happy he's presenting a fun ascetic, embracing his age, but not accepting that old must equal stuffy and boring. My mom who was a teen during the later Beatles years also thinks it's great. We're both getting copies of the album when it comes out.

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t know about top 40 or number one.
    But I do know an effective pop-song when I hear one.
    Bu the way I played I don t know, Come on to me and Fuh you one after the other. It s imo a very entertaing and Wild listening. Given how Uncut described the other songs my bet is that
    Egypt Station will be an incredible diversified album that at least will equal the quality of New

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Fuh You is a fun, modern sounding record with the unmistakeable Macca tuneful touch.
    I am surprised the vitriol some of you are pouring out over this! No need for it!
    Relax! it's a goofy, well-crafted pop song.
    Good on Paul for trying something new and keeping his eyes and ears OPEN. If he didn't like this style of new pop, or find a small place in it for him, he'd ignore it. I think that is exactly where he's always been.

Of COURSE it's not "Penny Lane" and "Let It Be" or even "Big Barn Bed". But he's done that already, and we can hear these songs at ANY TIME.
    This is fun stuff- coming from a 76 year-old man. Take it as that.

17. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more! You put that so much better than I managed to. Keep smiling!

18. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Actually, the impression I’m getting is that you’re in the majority on this forum. Though, of course, it could just be that the dissenting voices are shouting louder ;)

Paul doesn’t have a ‘problem or an obsession’. He’s just ALIVE, living life to the max and loving every second of it. I, for one, can admit I don’t always manage the same trick, even though I know how lucky I am. Got to love him for the way he is STILL living and loving life.

19. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

20. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Exhibit A to me at least that it’s not the song many here have a problem with*, it’s the production. And any taken offence over the ‘key’ line. What a great little pop song!

*Disclaimer: No, it’s not Here, There and Everywhere. Not even Please Please Me. It’s Fuh You! It’s Paul doing what he’s always done, since I Lost My Little Girl at age 14.

21. Wingspan

Wingspan Forum Resident

22. vallilalainen

vallilalainen Forum Resident

+1
    I really like the song! An instant ear worm for me :D.
    Of the three released Egypt Station -songs my favourite is I Don't Know, then Fuh You and last Come On To Me. And IMO none of these is bad.

jmxw, mrjinks, theMess and 2 others like this.
  23. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

This song reminds me when all the guys at break time start saying,

"Where you going?"
    "FUH-COFFEE!"

24. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Oh dear, really unnecessary IMHO. Fuh no! I remember a similar feeling of “oh dear” when Two Virgins cover was published in the papers (I was age 12 then and it was squirm inducing to admit being a fan). We know they are ordinary people, but I expect more...

ZippyPippy, freddiebell and Zeki like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Some like Fuh you a lot
    Some are lukewarm
    Some actively hate it

Nothing really new around here.
    Actually it was the same back in the seventies but we didn t have internet back then
    It s fun though the level of emotions a pop-song can create.
    I just keep on smiling listening to the three tunes so far released from Egypt Statin.
    Also slightly amused about some of the more vitrio reactions here. Some bordering towards morale-panic.
    It s rather funny
    With that said I have total respect for those who don t like the production or melodic structure or find the attention-grabbing word-play silly. Those opnions are of no lesser values than mine or others who like Fuh You
    It s all different ways of hearing a three-minute pop-song
    No more no less
    :)

jlf, Mr. Explorer, jmxw and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.