New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Got it. Unfortunately that happens between departments, but if the csr rep shows empathy and is doing the best they can then I am much more flexible. Good csr training is essential.

Mr. Explorer, theMess and scoostraw like this.
  2. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

I like 80s production as well. Production-wise, I would take Press To Play over Flowers In The Dirt any day. Both have 80s production, yes, but Press To Play is more pleasing style to my ear. Song wise, it depends.

I think part of my problem with Flaming Pie is actually the production. I prefer Off The Ground's production to it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

In this case the csr was obvious in her attempt to dump the "call" and move on. I have zero tolerance for that. My remark was something along the lines of "Did I catch you at a good time? Or do you need to go take care of some other more important customers? This is my first ever order with Target - and the first also using the Target Red Card. I am definitely not impressed."

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Target essentially sucks. I avoid going there, unless I have to. They have a poor selection of...well... everything, and bad customer service.

theMess and scoostraw like this.
  5. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Alright, not that anyone cares, but I just finished Press To Play!

The 80s production style is coming back into style thanks in part to Carly Rae Jepsen (E-Mo-Tion) and Brandon Flowers (The Desired Effect), so the production wasn't actually an issue for me. When I saw it was produced by Hugh Padgham, I wasn't shocked at all. Some songs were memorable for me (Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun, Talk More Talk, Only Love Remains, Angry, Tough On A Tightrope and Yvonne's The One were the most notable). I actually quite enjoyed it. Will definitely be giving it more listens.

I think with McCartney, if everything were a piano or acoustic guitar demo, there'd be a lot more "amazing" songs. As it is, production is his worst enemy. I know that isn't a blanket statement, as he has some... er... questionable songs. But, when stripped down to their most basic parts, there's usually a lump of gold somewhere. It is just the gift Paul has.

Looking forward to many more listens of Press to Play today, and maybe I'll venture into Off the Ground today as well. But 24 tracks is daunting.

I think Press To Play made me miss Linda more than anything else has for a while. She had a nice presence on that album.

6. scoostraw

Yeah but other than that....

7. scoostraw

I agree with this 100%.

theMess, omikron and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Where did you find a "Press to Play" that had "Yvonne's The One" on it????

9. TimeandTempo

The Paul McCartney Ultimate Archive Collection. I'm not sure where the album ends and the tacked on extras begin, so I just stopped when I started hearing "B-Side to Seaside" which I know is a S&TRS song.

10. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Depends what you consider tacked on extras, as the CD had a few extra tracks that the LP didn't ('Write Away', 'It's Not True' 12" mix, 'Tough on a Tightrope').

11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I see...it's of nefarious origin, but I'm not sure how the S&TRS fit into the timeline?????

Press To Play - Ultimate Archive Collection (album)

12. TimeandTempo

I'd consider anything not part of the original release to be a tacked on extra (including the extra tracks on the CD)! But, Press to Play doesn't seem like an album with a concept or set track order as much as it is a random collection of songs. So maybe sequencing integrity isn't as important on it as it is on, say, Venus and Mars

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Yvonne is on Press To Play?

I thought it was a demo bootleg yet-to-be officially released?

14. TimeandTempo

A 7" remix was released in 1986, so I guess that made it warrant inclusion on Press to Play's ultimate edition... I disagree with its placement :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

If you can get them, listen to the less polished, earlier rough mixes of the album and I think you will appreciate the songs even more.

theMess and scoostraw like this.
  16. scoostraw

I don't know if I have ever heard this stuff. What boot(s) are they on?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. jacden

jacden Senior Member

That's correct. He's referring to a pirate version of Press To Play which has the bootleg-sourced "Yvonne" tacked on.

18. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Stuff like this is interesting...

19. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

That makes sense.

The only official release (that I know of) is Eric Stewart’s version who co-wrote Yvonne’s the One.

Billy Budapest, theMess and omikron like this.
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

And to my ears, that version is awful. I still prefer the McCartney version.

22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Can't say per forum rules but I used to eat a lot of ORANGEs. YouTube would probably suffice nowadays.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Yorick and theMess like this.
  23. scoostraw

It is the ULTIMATE Archive Collection... (not COMPLETE Archive Collection).

IIRC the person who put these together wanted everything that was actually released all together.

theMess, omikron and TimeandTempo like this.
  24. TimeandTempo

It is an immaculately curated collection. It is better in every case than McCartney's own official archive releases at sequencing and collecting releases.

25. scoostraw

Yup. I agree.

The Ultimate Archives are almost always my go-to's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.