New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Where's Glenn? I haven't seen any posts from him on here in a while, but I be mistaken.

2. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

He is avoiding this thread, as I did following the release of Fuh You. Maybe we should tell him it is safe to stick his head back in here.

3. Ringo Hendrix

I wouldn't say "safe"... safe enough, yes. But this chat is always dangerous! :D

theMess likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

He's not just avoiding the "Great Fuh You Debate" -- he's gone cold turkey on all new songs, reviews, clips -- anything that could spoil his Egypt Station experience...

5. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

It's been 4 days and Fuh You is still my favorite track off of Egypt Station. I definitely know something that hasn't been released yet is going to top it, but I am beyond excited for this album.

6. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Some of those b sides and album cuts should have been swapped.

Kicked Around No More is incredibly underrated. Probably should have been the 1st single.

theMess, The Band, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Same here!

8. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

quick test, I fixed it...thought I got blocked.

CDC likes this.
  9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

May be 1000 before release day

theMess and jammincrowe like this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And your dream was achieved. First post to 900. (For a brief moment)

theMess and Mike Visco like this.
  11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'd say you need to listen more closely and consider it in context of the album and what was going on in Paul's life when it was released. There's a lot more going on here. But I think we know by now that folks will disagree.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and scoostraw like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I hadn't checked the thumbs up/thumbs down on YouTube, but this is fascinating. Come On To Me and I Don't Know have about 4 times as many views but only about 1/4 as many thumbs down. Ouch.

I understand the marketing theory behind Fuh You as a single: It's catchy and modern sounding, so maybe some of the young'uns will pick up on it and discover this guy McCartney. That was, I think, a fools errand. Other than TV appearances like Carpool Karaoke (I wonder if Fuh You will be in the extended version the U.S. is about to see), people learn about new music one of two ways: One, particularly for younger folks, is seeing it shared by friends, etc. on social media. Given the negative response on YouTube, it doesn't seem like that's exactly going to be a gold mine. I'm pretty active on Twitter and I don't seeing it getting much buzz there (although that's not the social media platform of choice for most youth).

And again, those 2,000 thumbs down. That suggest that, whether or not it's drawing new fans, it's likely alienating some old ones.

The other way people hear new music, of course, is on the radio. Despite the disdain of some here, it remains a significant publicity route, which is why record labels still pursue airplay pretty diligently. It's too early to tell much about how it's doing from the publicly available Mediabase charts (which don't go into as much depth as the ones paying subscribers have access to), though there's certainly no sign of it making an instant splash.

As some have said, I have no doubt that if this tune were recorded by, say, Maroon 5, it would be all over Top 40 and AC radio, but I can't imagine those formats suddenly rediscovering a geezer act being naughty and trying to sound modern. And my guess is that this won't really fit Triple A, the one radio format where Paul still finds a pretty steady home.

So unless I'm missing something, I just can't see this being effective promotion for the album. Of course, maybe Monday a couple million people will hear it on the extended Carpool Karaoke and immediately decide to pre-order the album. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    theMess, Rob Hughes, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  14. The person who put these together is a member here, and a pretty active one at that. Kudos to him!

15. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

LOL-I noticed that ...

theMess and Zeki like this.
  16. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

If it's a partisan attack on a politician with whom he disagrees with, then it's got the potential to alienate half of the potential market no matter who it's about.

17. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

None of the early reviews indicate it being about a specific person

Paulwalrus, jammincrowe and Zeki like this.
  18. Prudence1964

None of the initial reviews have indicated that it's about a single person.

Zeki likes this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I wasn't even going there but I suppose so. The lyrics, per the review, are veiled, kinda. I don't think it'll have one iota of effect but...I could be wrong and you may be right.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Now. I find something we disagree about. Some great things on FP

21. Prudence1964

Flaming Pie and Tug of War are two of my favorites, but they have some definite clunkers on each. It's just the songs that I love on those, I really love. Kind of expecting the same reaction to Egyptian Station, but that's just a guess.

22. Ringo Hendrix

I still jokingly suspect it to be about an affair with an Egyptian woman... (as someone added) he met back in brazil.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't know Tug of War that well but Flaming Pie just needs, in my opinion, some cuts. These excessively long albums don't do the band/musician any favors. It's in my top 10 McCartney and I'm not penalizing it for the flab (because it's more an irritant than the inclusion of something that I hate) but it could be better.

omikron and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I disagree! ;)

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It seems to be a song using different methaphors of a ship goin agains a bad faith were the captain is crazy. Lyrics like that could be interpreted different ways but don t think it will alienate people at all. . It s methaphores and no names are mentioned. From the rewiew it s obvious what the rewiewer thought the whole thing was about. A theme that might not go down well with everyone but most people who ES are targeted agains won t have any problem with it
    It would he a very slippery slope starting to judge music among these things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.