New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok it could but these lines from Despite repeated warnings suggest otherwise.I guess it s up yo each and everyone to interpret what or who these lines are about. Don t think Admiral Halsey is the one though
    "The captain s crazy
    How can we stop him
    grab the keys and lock him up"

I so much look forward to hear Despite repeated warnings -a song were the reviewers namedropped Band on the run , Live and let die and Happiness is a warm gun for comparison. Sounds like a very special thing

2. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

That's how I feel about Flowers In The Dirt. Great/good songs, lousy thin digital sound. I listen to OTG at least 6x as often.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Exactly. Which is why I said it had potential.

Bemagnus likes this.
  4. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Cleopatraphysical!

5. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Press,To Play was it least interesting to me but off the ground bored me from day one. I bought each of them on cassette when they came out and the latter album Maybe got played twice

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Maybe the captain is her ex who is out for revenge? I merely kid.

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

There are some truly wonderful things on Flaming Pie, some interesting excursions, and some questionable tracks as well.

Paul H, scoostraw, theMess and 5 others like this.
  8. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

omikron, Mr. Explorer and RAJ717 like this.
  9. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

That would be the McCartney Scholar @daveidmarx ! I’m patient enough to wait on the archives rather than cop his versions of the missing albums. But his thorough compilation of Last Flight did sneak its way into my iTunes!

Paulwalrus, 905, Jayseph and 2 others like this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I wouldn't call Off The Ground a "leftovers" album -- at least, not the way Pipes Of Peace was the leftovers of Tug Of War. Other than the Elvis Costello co-writes -- both very strong, imo -- are any of the OTG songs known to be castoffs from Flowers?
    Here I agree with you -- although a couple of those b-sides were stinkers too...

Paul H, theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

For me the truly wonderful things on Flaming Pie like Little Willow and Calico skies belongs to Paul's most wonderful songs ever. Actually I l have hard to find something there I really don t like . Ok there are a few things I could live without

12. Dr. Pepper

Here are my rankings of the albums from 1980-2000:

Tug of War
    Run Devil Run
    Flaming Pie
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Press to Play
    McCartney II
    Pipes of Peace
    Off The Gound
    Broad Street

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  13. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

(I’ll exclude OtG and RDR for lack of familiarity)

Tug of War
    McCartney II (nearly a tie for #1)
    Flowers
    Flaming Pie
    Pipes
    Press
    Broad Street

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

press to play-imo-lacks in the singdepartment,the production is awful and all in all it s a mess. With that said there are a few decent songs and the less produced version of the album is better
    Right now I definitely wouldn't t trade Fuh you for the whole of Press to play
    :)

Paulwalrus and Allen Michael like this.
  15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Here is mine
    Tug of war
    McCartney 2
    Flaming Pie
    Run devil run
    Flowers in the dirt
    Pipes of peace
    Off the ground
    Broad street
    Press to play

Paulwalrus and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Press to Play was my first ever CD purchase and my first McCartney album purchase, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I probably rate it higher than I should. I like Fuh You, but would not in a million years trade it for all of Press to Play.

17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Flaming Pie is definitely uneven, but to me the best tracks are so glorious that they make it easier to forgive the clunkers like Really Love You.

18. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Agree 100%. I think he could have cut "If You Wanna," "Used to be Bad," and "Really Love You."

Take off all three of those and only add in "Broomstick" in the track list between "Little Willow" and "Beautiful Night."

Make it a 12 track record. Tighter, better.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I can understand that many people for one reason or another like Press to play -I wish I could find enjoyment in it. I liked at first and listened through it last week. There are some good songs there but the production destroys it
    At least fuh me
    However I don t think I would trade it for Fuh you either but right now I enjoy that one more than anything on Press to play.
    But things might change-in the context of the Pure McCartney the remastered versions of Press and Good times comin/feel the Sun works wonders.I hated McCartney 2 when it came out now it s one of my favorite
    The two songs mentioned from PTP together with Footprints are imo the most memorable from that album.
    My first Macca album was Ram(my sister already had McCartney). Ram still is my favorite album from Paul so these things matters as well

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Sorry, I can't read through 900 pages. Are there any special configurations of this album beyond the 1CD and the 2LP versions? Any pricing alerts?

5th-beatle likes this.
  21. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Now, this makes me think of a silly and irrelevant question: is Memory Almost Full a left overs album? No?

MAF was started, after Driving Rain, then Chaos was started/completed, and then Memory Almost Full was completed.

More like two separate projects.

But some tracks were related, I think.

Pardon if this is a stupid question, I am tired but can't go to sleep yet.

Sean Murdock and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

That information might be around page 550ish, I would start looking around there.

theMess and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

First you had a way better first McCartney album than I did, no contest! Second I was going to point out that Footprints alone would not be worth losing for Fuh You. Right now both of us would rate Fuh You over everything on Press, duh it's the new McCartney single!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    theMess, Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

I would call MAF an augmented and improved revisiting of material temporarily set aside for a time sensitive opportunity called Chaos.

Sean Murdock, theMess and omikron like this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

@Bemagnus, I must say I love your avatar and I thought you would desert it by now, it's fun, so are all these great Egypt Station avatars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.