New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

2. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Did you guys noticed the George Harrison Dark Horse Years CD Boxset in one of those MOJO pics? !

3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Level I:
    Ram

Level II:
    Venus and Mars
    Flowers in the Dirt
    Band on the Run
    Back To the Egg
    Press To Play
    At the Speed of Sound
    Off the Ground
    Driving Rain

Level III:
    New
    Red Rose Speedway
    Wild Life
    Flaming Pie
    Choba b CCCP
    Run Devil Run
    Memory Almost Full
    Chaos and Creation

Level IV:
    McCartney
    Tug of War
    London Town

Level V:
    McCartney II
    Pipes of Peace
    Broad Street

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

What I thought was really great, was seeing the Dark Horse boxset by George Harrison at his home!!

theMess, Tord and jammincrowe like this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks much! If you'd like to post in the McCartney news thread, that would also be appreciated. I'd do it, but you're the one who did the work!

6. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Go for it, I'm getting too many notifications as is :D

Mr. Explorer, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

8. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Press to Play, Off the Ground, Driving Rain and Flowers higher than McCartney, TOW, London Town and Flaming Pie!? Pure madness, my friend

9. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

It’s all just opinions...

theMess, Frank and TimeandTempo like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

McCartney, TOW, London Town and Flaming Pie = Low Energy / MidTempo. I don't use drugs. ;)

There's at least something I like on each album above Level V more than I like most of the "best" by other classic rockers (including the biggest of them all).

theMess and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  11. TimeandTempo

I think I'm starting to realize that there is no consensus on what Paul albums are "great." To each their own (except that RAM is the greatest album he's ever put out, which is an indisputable fact).

12. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Good for you being ok with it, I'm sure there are men who speak to women like that. It just saddens me that PM is one of them.

RAJ717 likes this.
  13. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

No they give five as well although rarely for new releases admittedly. However in the same issue they do give five to reissues from The Pixies, The Fall and The Band

theMess and TimeandTempo like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Im happy every time on something-this is one of these rare occasions. Ram is Paul's best album. With that said there is nothing more that would be same as your list if I made a one
    But still.,,,.........
    :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

Thanks, you're a star!

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

The only thing I could make out was it looks like he has a couple copies of McGear on his shelf...

[Not terribly surprising... ;) ]

Edit: Oh, and Playback by George Martin...

17. agrasso77

agrasso77 Musicologist

Can you please do the same for the CD versions?

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"....seriously awkward moment...Tedder...McCartney exploded at banality of the process. "This is crazy. I've got a career...I wrote Eleanor Rigby...I can't get into this." After almost abandoning the session...decided to persevere. "It's not trying to be important."

This detour aside, it's strikingly successful."

Well, there you go. Sounds to me like an attempt to distance himself from the song. And it certainly isn't included under the "another Band on the Run" umbrella that Mojo reviewer mentions.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    theMess, Tord and Paperback Writer like this.
  19. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Great interview? What did I miss whilst sleeping? Sorry, sometimes I take sometime off and rest :nauga:;)

20. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

The entire bit about 'Fuh You' for those curious:

The only seriously awkward moment arose when a scheduling mishap saw Kurstin double-booked and McCartney itching to maintain momentum. He went into the Mill with Ryan Tedder, the MTV talent show winner and Timberland protégé-turned-serial hitmaker for the likes of Beyoncé, Ed Sheeran and, somewhat inevitably, Adele. After two days spent extemporizing vocals over a succession of hooks - as per the proven Tedder method - McCartney exploded at the banality of the process. “I said to Ryan, ‘This is crazy. I’ve got a career where I’ve been involved with songs that have meaning, and this doesn’t amount to anything… Y’know - I wrote Eleanor Rigby! And now I’m Singing “I’m a lover for you, I’m a lover for you, I love you baby yes I do…” I can’t get into this.’”

After almost abandoning the sessions, McCartney decided to persevere, with the caveat that he write the lyrics later. The result is Fuh You, a single-entendre banger in the contemporary tradition. Here There And Everywhere it ain’t - but, its co-author notes, that was never the objective. “On the phone before we got in the studio, Ryan said to me, ‘What do you want to achieve from this week?’ And I could be coy and say, ‘I don’t know…’ but no, I cut to the chase. I said, ‘A hit!’ He said, ‘Great, you’re talking my language. The world loves a hit!’ It’s only a fun song anyway. It’s not trying to be important.”

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In that regard it is a complete success. :)

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yup. And McCartney is clearly distancing/down playing that particular track. In a big-time promotional interview for the album.

I feel just a tad better after reading this MOJO piece.

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Tord and 4 others like this.
  23. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I can't ever find anything bad.

24. TimeandTempo

I'm a major sucker for McCartney... I'll take anything.

#NowPlaying: Pipes of Peace

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

For sure-thats why he released it as a single and played it in the two gigs he has given
    Id bet
    He works overtime to hide it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.