New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

On the heels of Carpool Karaoke there is big chart action to report!
    Let it Be is back on the iTunes chart - at #163.
    No action for any Egypt Station tracks except Fuh dropping from #53 on Amazon 7 hours ago to #61 now.
    The album is still Amazon's #1 best seller in Bluegrass, though! It's actually #9 overall there.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The worst thing about this forum, everyone wants to be so negative about everything. Once the thing comes out, I don’t check this thread much anymore.

Paulwalrus, Bemagnus, JDeanB and 7 others like this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I keep looking for more reviews but nothing so far. Thursday will be two weeks from release day so maybe then? I don't know what I'm hoping to find out, really, as Uncut a
    overall? In what?

4. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I’ve not seen that before! Thank you for sharing!

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Overall best seller in CDs and Vinyl
    (Sorry - I edited the previous post to reflect I was talking about the Amazon chart now. Never said it originally.)

Zeki likes this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The thread seemed pretty positive all day yesterday with the Mojo article. I have no idea what will happen in 16 days, of course.

That Mojo piece had a wealth of material if the sidebars are included. Positive and more positive.

theMess, Bemagnus, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's a very nice clip.

theMess likes this.
  8. verjan

verjan Active Member

I don't understand it - most of the folks look lika fans but dislikes anything.

9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

jlf, Mr. Explorer, theMess and 5 others like this.
  10. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I avoided it yesterday as I knew I would be picking up a copy today. Looks great.

11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Same can be said for those who are ranking the album as one of Paul's best without hearing it. Hilarious. All we can do is judge 3 songs. I like 1 of the 3 so it's not starting out well, but paul has been notorious for releasing strange choices as singles. That gives me hope.

Mr. Explorer, omikron and DRM like this.
  12. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I haven't seen any posts ranking the album as one of Paul's best without hearing it?? :shrug:

13. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

There is nothing negative about giving ones honest opinion.

14. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Finally watching the full carpool karaoke.

The performances aren't bad, except Drive My Car -- he sounded rough on that.

That said, Come On To Me sounded great. It really gave me hope that 1.) Egypt Station may be written for his voice and 2.) an Egypt Station inclusive tour could be really great.

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I might have missed something but have totally missed that someone hear have claimed Egypt Station is one of Paul's best without hearing it.
    Please enlighten me about that

Mr. Explorer, JDeanB and Zeki like this.
  16. jamesward88

jamesward88 Spirit of Ranachan

Is there anywhere yet in the UK where we can watch the special episode? :)

Beaneydave likes this.
  17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

We're getting a lot of complaints about politics being discussed here, both American and UK. Please stop. Thanks!

PS And don't say "the album is about politics so how can we not discuss it?" There have been over 2000 posts in this thread that didn't seem to have politics discussed. And it's other posters in this thread complaining, not a heavy-handed moderation team. Thanks again!

18. Arnold Grove

I posted that Egypt Station is one of Paul's best album TITLES -- and that's without hearing it. ;)

Mr. Explorer, theMess and Beaneydave like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Too many "Big Boys Bickering"? ;)

JDeanB, theMess, Beaneydave and 3 others like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It
    Ok
    I might add it s one of his coolest covers.
    :)

Mr. Explorer and Paulwalrus like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

People want peace
    :)

Mr. Explorer and Johnny Reb like this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What others hear as an attempt at a "modern" pop track, I hear as a natural progression for Paul and not an overt attempt to sound like a Top 10 Act. It's very Paul to my ears. This song isn't loaded with electronic beats or hip-hop elements which would signal such an attempt.

There's nothing done vocally on "Fuh You" that wasn't essentially done on "Sing the Changes" or some other Electric Arguments tracks, and that was released 10 years ago folks! Or "Appreciate" off New.

As for the sing-a-long pre-chorus, again, Paul's done sing-a-longs and chant type songs many times over, most recently with "Everybody Out There." As for the lyrical content, "Fuh You" is wordplay but thematically it's hardly an outlier. NEW had "Alligator" and "Looking at Her"....He's peppered some songs with sexual meaning all the way back to "She's a Woman" and "turns me on when I get lonely"...and that was 1965!

"I want a love that's so proud and real" is an awesome straightforward line from "Fuh You", and I'll take that sentiment over "Queenie Eye" lyrics 9 times out of 10, even though "Queenie Eye" has a very nice production sound and I enjoy it as well.

At the end of the day it's only a small segment of die hard fans who are up in arms about this song. I'm glad I'm not one of them. "Fuh You" has a great vocal from Paul, the melody is memorable, the middle eight with the strings and baseline are rad, and at 3 minutes, it doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's not his best song or anything, but it's just one aspect to Paul, a pop music master in my book, and for that, I think it's cool.

23. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I agree but it’s hard to have an honest opinion about an album or song we haven’t heard.

Like with Fuh You, I didn’t care for the insults, disrespect thrown at people who liked/disliked the song but I was open to hearing what others thought good or bad.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Awesome post! I love this place, where you can come and read stuff like this that totally gives you a new appreciation for the song. I'll listen to it differently now...

25. Arnold Grove

That too!

Great title: YES.
    Great cover art: YES.
    Great album: UNKNOWN...

;)

theMess, Zeki and Bemagnus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.