New Paul McCartney Out There Tour Thread (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Filmed from one of the first rows in Tokyo, April 23: "Hope For The Future"

2. 5th-beatle

Filmed from one of the first rows in Tokyo, April 23: "Jet"

3. 5th-beatle

A lot of official merchandise available in Japan!

coffeetime likes this.
  4. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Oh no - I'm almost hoping I have a conflict as how do I say no to seeing him again if I don't? Think this would make show #13 for me: not much compared to a few on here but that's still a lot!

I will say that if I don't see "Appreciate" nevermind some older rarities popping up on setlists anytime soon, that will make the decision a bit easier.... Arrgh! Will undoubtedly keep my eyes/ears open for ticket details regardless.

5. 5th-beatle

"Can't Buy Me Love" live in Osaka:

Tord, Bemagnus, theMess and 2 others like this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

If it isn't the 20th, 22nd, 26th or 27th, I'll be there.

7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

How do we know this isn't some sort of hologram? :winkgrin:

theMess and 5th-beatle like this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This is nice to have in the set list as a bit of a change-up. It does sound like this song takes his 2015 vocal range to its limits (and perhaps a bit beyond them), so let's hope he doesn't break it out on TV. :)

Kermit27 and 5th-beatle like this.
  9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Once again, instead of taking the opportunity to perform something new and totally different, McCartney drags out yet another song that he's already done a million times before?!

The man could create so many OMG moments, but it's just another missed opportunity.

Frank likes this.
  10. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

I'm hearing that the Philly show will take place on June 21st.

LandHorses likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

C-ville would be great! Relatively small venue there - if he's playing the arena and not the football stadium, that is...

12. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

Wells Fargo Center tweeted this image out a few hours ago, with the message: "Attention Philadelphia: There will be a HUGE concert announcement tomorrow. Stay tuned!"

[​IMG]

13. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yep.

14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

He did create a lot of OMG moments, he does at every show if you're actually there and haven't seen him every year for the last decade.
    To the vast majority of concert goers the whole evening will be one big OMG moment, it's just the fans that go to every tour who don't want him to play his most iconic songs and instead create a queue for the toilet by playing 'obscure tune x'.

Just another missed opportunity? For who?

15. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Let's just accept that there is a huge divide between hardcore Paul solo fans (including me) and the typical, more casual fans who make up most of the audience. A few months ago I was talking to a good friend, a longtime Beatles fan who's only casually familiar with Paul's music of the last 30 years or so -- which is pretty much the norm. I happened to mention that I'd love to see a Paul concert with a lot less Beatles and a lot more solo stuff, and he looked at me like I had just announced that I was from Mars. It had truly never occurred to him that anyone would think this. And that's why Macca does the shows he does.

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

If Philly is June 21st, I'll be there..............even if I have to Stubhub it.

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

When Paul is no longer with us, will his Hofner bass still travel around the world? ;)

18. bward

bward Senior Member

So many great songs here.

Isn't it incredible: the songs McCartney refuses to perform live would be the ultimate career set list for so many other bands.

There's no reason Silly Love Songs, Take It Away, No More Lonely Nights, Early Days have not been performed live in recent years. I think, among the songs you listed, those are the ones with the most realistic chance to be performed live.

The fact that No More Lonely Nights was included in the Art of McCartney, and in the Music Cares DVD makes me hope that we may see it at some point, alas, time is running out, I fear.

And as for Goodnight Tonight: I've long wondered why that track hasn't been swapped out for Coming Up from time to time. Both were popular funky/disco styled songs that would let the band stretch out a bit.

Goodnight Tonight was a pretty big hit back in the day (don't remember the chart placement, but it was constantly on the radio).

The fact that Macca whipped this song out for this impromptu peformance shows he hasn't forgotten it. And he looks like he's having a great time with it, too.

At this point, I'm just glad he is still around.

And, I still get choked up when he launches into Blackbird and Let It Be. I hope he never replaces them. So I guess I'm part of the problem.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

#5 in the USA Billboard charts. However, this was a relatively weaker than usual showing for Paul, especially since this was the first single released under his much-ballyhooed new contract with Columbia Records in the USA. Columbia was definitely expecting higher sales and higher chart positions. Instead, the #5 showing of "Goodnight Tonight" and the #8 showing of Back To The Egg in the USA were disappointing.

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Comparing and contrasting the absolutely opposite concert experiences of two of my favorite artists (Paul McCartney and The Grateful Dead) has always been good bar fodder for my friends and me.

You were lucky to get a "We'll be back in a little bit" out of the Dead, as compared to Paul telling rehearsed stories and speaking to the crowd in their native language.

The set lists - well, that goes without saying. The only thing you knew you weren't getting at a Dead show was what they played the night before ("Drums" and "Space" aside). For a McCartney show, seeing a set list from even three or six months ago was likely to ruin most if not all of your surprises.

I was at a Futhur (a post-Jerry Dead off-shoot) show in New York about five years ago, and they opened with a few minutes of improvised jamming. The crowd was up and loud and excited, and as the band transitioned the jam into "Truckin'" you could feel the air go out of the place. It was like "What, this AGAIN?", even though Furthur hadn't played it anymore recently than any other song in their deep rotation. You could actually hear the murmur of a groan go through the place - in response to the band's most well-known song!

So I guess when "Let It Be", "Yesterday" and "Hey Jude" get met with groans instead of screams, he'll stop performing them. In other words, never. :)

21. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

He doesn't have to play "OBSCURE" songs. He has had many hits in the last 30 years that he could play. Then we all could go OMG!

22. bward

bward Senior Member

Yes, true.
    I remember that.

However, Goodnight Tonight was plenty popular, chart position aside.

It says something about Paul's popularity in the 70's that a #5 song and #8 lp were considered disappointments.

Moving forward, I think Goodnight Tonight could have become a concert staple. The audience would recognize it, and the band could have some fun with it.

However, unless GT gets added to the set soon, I think the day has come and gone for it.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Everytime Paul starts up a new tour there is the same discussion among us -more engaged-fans. Mainly about the predictable set- lists and some about Paus vocals.
    Ir woukd really like Paul to be a bit more adventurous in his setlist
    But thing is
    Pauls tour are one of the biggest in the business and there is a reason for it
    All the well-known hits of the past
    I am sure that for most people it s a real OMG -moment hearing Hey Jude, Yestetday or Let it be from the creator. Most people don t spend their spare-time watching You-tubeclips or reading set-lists. For them those events are not not boring or predictable but a once in a life-time experience of seeing a true living legends.
    And believe me-when Paul finally hang up his shoes those 3-hours feel-good events will be the stuff of legend to

24. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

This is very well put.
    I took my son to see him last year (his first time). Not a single person seated around us had seen him before (it was my 14th show). Frankly it's a small minority that want setlist changes and know what is coming, I had to tell a couple of people not to leave after Hey Jude and a few more after the first encore. For the probably 90% of the fans that have never seen him before and don't look for setlists - the OMG moments are many in his show. For those of us who have seen him, at least for me, it is about seeing someone who has a limited touring life left and he puts on a really good show, even if I have seen it before.

It's those 90% of fans that make his show highly profitable for his touring company, and it's really for those 90% that he gears his show towards.

That said, I figured last year would be my last show for Macca, but if the Columbia, SC date works out i'll probably get pulled back in again. It really is an extemely well produced show. High quality musicianship, high quality production.

RamblinRed

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree with every word. I will attend Pauls show in Stockholm 9/7 - knowing that it might be the last possibility. Last time I saw him live was 2004 and the first time was 1972 during Wings fabled bus- tour round Europe.
    It s amazingly one show every decade between the seventies and now. Who would have figured that.
    I am certanely in favour of shows with more new material and deep cuts.
    But for what it is-Paul puts on a great show that s all about feeling good .
    Concerning some of the more nit-picking comments about the show I would like to quote Pauls former song-writing partner
    "You don t know what you got
    until you loose it"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.