New Paul McCartney Out There Tour Thread (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I remember Paul telling an interviewer that he once ran into a musician who was touring with Dylan and they talked about Bob's approach to live shows, I forget the exact quote but it was basically about how the guy told Macca that if Bob and the band really 'nailed' a song during a gig then that song would more likely than not get dropped for the next show.

Macca expressed incredulity at this approach. Now, that story might be one of Paul's less than 100% accurate tales but I think it is significant because my inference was that if Dylan feels he has captured the essence of a song in a moment of inspiration then there's no point in trying to recreate that vibe the next night. Bob's recent habit of playing a regular set ( ironically with fewer variations than Macca!) still fits my theory because even though the songs are the same, Bob and the band tinker with them from night to night-I strongly suspect that when Bob decides he's hit upon the best way of performing the set he will then make changes.

McCartney though seems to want to repeat himself show after show-there's just no spontaneity in the gigs with even the stories between songs scripted. That's an observation rather than a criticism but it is curious why he doesn't seem willing to mix things up at all. I recall Paul Simon saying that his tours often cost him money because he couldn't play the music he wanted to in massive venues ( obviously he had the occasional S & G reunion to rake in some cash and the current tour with Sting, although he's not playing a totally greatest hits set) because the ticket revenue wasn't enough to cover his costs. Would Macca ever do something like that? He could play smaller venues and play a wider variety of material. At this stage of the game it would matter not a jot if the shows didn't sell out or if the punters went home furious at not hearing all of the old favourites.

theMess, 5th-beatle and heatherly like this.
  2. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think it's probably too late for that. He should have tried the "smaller venues/deeper cuts" strategy many years ago, when his voice was still fresh -- in the 1990s, maybe through 2004.

It would have been a nice time to relaunch his solo catalogue with extra-track and maybe pick some key albums to feature in concerts -- Band on the Run, Tug of War, Ram, Wings over America, etc.

3. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

4. mr._mojo_filter

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I'm still stunned at the extreme ticket prices of the 4/28 Budokan concert (¥40,000-¥60,000-¥80,000-¥100,000).

I'd imagine that since it's the first time McCartney has been back to that venue since the Beatles played there in 1966, he might sneak a song from that tour into the setlist ("She's a Woman", "Paperback Writer", and "I'm Down" were the songs he did back then.).

Your average fan doesn't shell out close to $400 for lousy nosebleed seats (let alone nearly $800-$1000 for the bulk of the tickets), so Paul must know the people there will likely be more familiar with deep album cuts.

The Stones included some rather obscure tunes when they played Budokan in 2003 (including "Worried About You" from Tattoo You), so if McCartney wants to shake up the setlist a bit, he likely do so there.

mark ab, theMess, heatherly and 2 others like this.
  6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Paperback Writer, Day Tripper and Yesterday were done by the Beatles at the Budokan, and are part of Paul's current setlist.

She's A Woman would be a nice addition, as it wad also done at the 1966 show.

Now if he really wants to surprise the audience, how about Nowhere Man? Or perhaps I Wanna Be Your Man, which he sang with Ringo less than a week ago at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

mark ab, theMess, heatherly and 2 others like this.
  7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Well since you have all deemed Paul's shows to be boring and lacking inspiration I should have no trouble getting Philly tickets, right?

revolution_vanderbilt and JDeanB like this.
  8. 5th-beatle

A friend has just bought this book for me. Those of you in Tokyo should buy it for yourselves too, as it covers all of Paul's Japanese tours, except the current one.

[​IMG]

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

You are taking the critics over here out of proportion. No, he doesn't have to do anything, not for his legacy, not for the money, not to sell more tickets. But it's a fact that this artist, with such an extensive catalogue and so many neglected hits, will hit the US for the 3rd summer straight with mainly the same show, the 7th year straight with a large core the same.

The only songs from 1976 until the time the current band got into view, played regularly on tour by him in the last 15 years: 'Coming Up' (1979), 'Here Today' (1982), 'Calico Skies' (1997) and 'Flaming Pie' (1997). About 350 concerts since then, in about 25 countries. Meanwhile, the current setlist consists of 'All Together Now', 'Lovely Rita', 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!'... Then you can only conclude something is artistically off, way off. But no, indeed, to get in the cash, to sell the seats and keep the families clapping along happy, he doesn't have to change one bit ever again.

klaatuhf, mark ab, theMess and 2 others like this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

foxylady, mrjinks, coffeetime and 2 others like this.
  11. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Yes, think that would have been a good idea. I just wonder though if there is a realistic chance that Paul might have a chance to surprise us-he clearly loves to play live and won't want to quit anytime soon but at some stage he simply won't be able to play 3 hour stadium gigs so he might just decide to play shorter shows in smaller venues with a more varied set list. I can imagine Bruce Springsteen will continue to play live long after he is finished with his stadium tours ( and his solo tours for The Ghost Of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust albums were full of deep cuts) so maybe Paul will do something similar. It's probably unlikely but not an impossible scenario.

theMess likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I might be doing Stones in Pittsburgh 6/20 and Macca in Philly 6/21! :)

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Then you might as well do the Stones in Milwaukee on the 23rd!! :)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. The logistics aren't in my favor! Never mind getting decent tickets for Milwaukee would be tough...

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm totally not into it but my wife is already making noise about how we've got to bring my daughter to see him before he dies and stuff. Please tell me the ticket prices are going to be prohibitive.

16. Oatsdad

According to Comcasttix, the cheapest tickets are $29.50. So much for that excuse! :D

theMess, JoeRockhead and Frank like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

I predict you will never forget the smile on your daughter's face when he says "this one is for the children" and sings All Together Now.

18. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Here's hoping for a quick sell-out and some outrageous price gouging!

I predict I'll be in a straight jacket if I have to witness a 73 (by then) year old man singing "All Together Now."

Kevin j likes this.
  19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"Coming Up" was actually 1980. He never plays anything from "Back to the Egg," which did come out in '79.

20. mr._mojo_filter

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s difficult to compare Dylan and McCartney as live-artists. Dylan live is an performing artist -Paul is an enertainer. Paul has pretty much always kept a formula with fixed set-lists and so on. It was the same with the Wings over America tour. The early Wings shows were slightly more improvisional. That s why I keep the Wings 72 show as perhaps the most exiting Paul show I have attended.
    But in all fairness -it s very much the same with many other big acts touring.
    And-since Paul live -still is a huge and very much popular event-why change.
    And Paul is a great entertainer for sure-imo one of the all-time greats.
    Maccas more adventurous exploring musical side is still there for us-on his records.
    With that said I would love to see him perform Early days, Apreciate , Temporary secretary , Wandeelust and multitudes of other stuff. But will be pleased anyway with three hours of classics

22. JoeRockhead

Why should he bother? There's no pleasing this lot.

23. JoeRockhead

Whoever is pining to hear No more lonely nights instead of Back in the USSR needs to have his head examined immediately

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

[​IMG]

If he radically altered the set list it would depress the pyrotechnic industry.

JDeanB, theMess and mark ab like this.
  25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Just got back from the doctor for my head examination. He says I'm perfectly sane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.