New Paul McCartney Out There Tour Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. I wonder what the hell Forever True is then?

She is anyway likes this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Sarcasm? Me? That's as unlikely as getting a snarky post from knarf...

Zeki and Frank like this.
  3. mrjinks

Well, I did it again. Looks like I'll attend back-to-back shows (and, no doubt, I'll wonder why, when I hear some of the verbatim stage chatter!): Missoula & SLC. Already had a seat for Missoula and went online to see if there were any good seats for SLC just now. Up popped a VERY good floor seat (at the $250 point). 3rd row, seat 8.

I even called the venue to ask what how many seats were in a row, and how the numbering went, just to guarantee it was a good spot. Turns out there are 12 seats in the middle section, and ten each on the two front side sections. So I'll be row 3, seat 8. That's gotta be pretty damned close to center stage. Do I bring a cd booklet and toss it onstage in hope of adding to my signed cd collection?

xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxXxxxxxxx

JDeanB, She is anyway and theMess like this.
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Maybe you could shout 'Alligator' or 'I Can Bet'? :D

She is anyway likes this.
  5. mrjinks

I do have a loud voice. :)

Years ago ('05) in Portland, I also had killer seats - within the first ten rows - and I yelled something to Paul. Much to my shock, he heard me and responded direct from the stage! Sadly, it's one of the few shows I've never been able to find audio of. :cry:

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is great. You should definitely shout out again.

I would be shocked if there was no audio somewhere out there. Maybe another forum member has some?

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I would venture that it is a misreporting of "Celebration".

Celebration

High above this overcrowded place
    A distant blackbird flies through space
    and all he does
    is search for love

Now
    with all the time it seemed we had
    whatever time I have to spare
    will be with you
    for ever more

Love is the oldest
    secret of the universe

Warm as the touch
    of two iridescent flowers
    when they discover...

and now
    it's all we ever really know
    a past and future come and go
    because they do,
    I'll stay with you.

[Instrumental]

(Choir brings to rest:)

A past and future come and go
    because they do
    I'll stay with you

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

don't wonder why. just enjoy the music. growing up in the late 60s and early 70s I could never have dreamed I'd get to hear some of these tunes live and enjoy them each and every time. And songs I never cared about like Lady Madonna I either hit the rest room or check out the crowd enjoying the heck out of the show. The greatest concerts I ever saw were Neil Youg's Weld tour in 1991. I went to 4 shows, and loved every second of every one, yes even with the same setlist. (Though there was zero stage banter at all 4 shows!)

JDeanB and She is anyway like this.
  9. RayS

I bet you didn't sit through both opening acts all 4 times though :) I saw two "Weld" shows (perhaps ones you were at as well - MSG and Meadowlands) but the opening acts drove me into the corridor until I could smell the Horse. I guess I was already an old fogey 23 yeas ago.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I like Sonic Youth and Social Distortion fine enough, only saw them once on that tour due to waiting outside for maximum scalping opportunities!

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bring something you don't care if you get returned to you and give it a shot!

somebodywhocares and mrjinks like this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Sorry, this just isn't going to happen since the original composer/performer doesn't even take care of his legacy himself. It will be even less than now. In 100 years there are 100,000 hours of McCartney, live in action, performing and talking about Beatles cuts and 'Band On The Run' songs throughout more than half a century, but no recordings of/quotes about deeper cuts. Even McCartney's own wording/approach/promotion around the 'Archive Releases', which should have the main purpose to get the history written well, definitely, in his own words, barely shout "needs to be revalued". Yeah, we get the "kid on the street told me he likes 'Bip Bop'"-story, but nothing of that shows in his setlist, interviews or releases. Hell, a big part of his collection is out of print at this point.

Nobody is expecting him to do an encore of extended versions of 'Blue Sway' and 'Tough On A Tightrope' during stadium shows, but there is a huge middle ground. If McCartney would have brought out singles like 'Young Boy', 'Uncle Albert', 'No More Lonely Nights', even 'Ever Present Past' (lead single, never played wtf!), 'deeper cuts' like 'One Of These Days', 'The Back Seat Of My Car', 'Don't Let It Bring You Down', you name them, through the years, and those would have been released on the - 75% the same - DVD/CD releases, even the 'mass crowd' (where is nothing wrong with) would have revalued and appreciated a larger part of his catalogue. You can't always learn what isn't being teased to you. He's doing fairly well since March 2010 ('Ram On', 'Junior's Farm', 'Letting Go', and so on) but that gap in between 1976 and the 00's stays inexplicable, and isn't going to chance at age 72.

Frank and JDeanB like this.
  13. RayS

I'm with you, but ... do you really think that all the exposure to "Flaming Pie" (the song) in concert all these years would lead to a stronger reception for the song if he played it next month?

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

No, I get what you are saying, no way any solo inclusion at this point will generate a Beatles-moment - as McCartney knows himself too, the quotes in the Rolling Stone about seeing the cameras coming out for any Beatle song, album track or major hit - even after it being included on live releases, but at least it's going down in history a bit stronger, and the crowd who is interested in digger deeper in the catalogue are being given the chance to do so. The other option is ignoring it like what happens now, and that's an even stronger signal to the mass audience, or to the people who are discovering his catalogue many years from now.

15. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Paul tapes nearly every soundcheck - someday he could put out a KILLER soundcheck album.

16. RayS

Or Paul could put out a live album that only contains solo songs his audiences didn't rabidly embrace. In the tradition of this album:

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe he has complete audio/video recordings of all his concerts (since at least 1975) as well. Has anything been mentioned to confirm (or deny) that?

theMess likes this.
  18. mrjinks

I've searched periodically through the years and never found anyone claiming to have that show...

ajsmith and theMess like this.
  19. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Do you remember what it was that you yelled out?

theMess likes this.
  20. mrjinks

Yeah, I think it was right before Blackbird? Paul was solo onstage and he made some comment like "are you having a good time? People from Portland ... and surrounding areas?" There was a roar, then things got very quiet, so I yelled out "IDAHO" as loud as I could. My son (then 12) and I were about 7-8 rows back in the middle floor and, ironically, there were two women right behind us (that we didn't know) that had mentioned before the show that they had also driven over from Boise to catch the gig.

Anyway, Paul cupped his hand to his ear, pointed right at me, and said something like, "Idaho? Is that where you're from?" and the four of us all yelled back. My son's eyes were about the size of tennis balls - you could just see him, thinking "Paul McCartney just spoke to my dad!" Anyway, I think Paul said something like "well, I'm from Liverpool, 'ya know" and then continued on.

I promise I'll do better if I get to properly interview him!
    But it was an awfully cool moment for me and my kid...

21. She is anyway

What a great memory. :)

On the reprise of the song "Ram On", I've always heard Paul and Linda's mumbled little dialogue as something like this:

PAUL: "Are you havin' a good time?"
    LINDA: "I don't know."
    PAUL: "Wha--?"

Your version:

PAUL: "Are you havin' a good time?"
    MRJINKS: "Idaho."
    PAUL: "Idaho?"

:righton:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    theMess and mrjinks like this.
  22. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I'll be seeing Sir Paul for the first time in Minneapolis on August 2nd. I'm taking my 14 year old daughter who is a big Beatles fan. We're both really looking forward to the show.

I'm curious about what sorts of tour swag/mechandise is available at the shows. How many internal organs do I need to see on the black market to afford t-shirts for the two of us?

23. mrjinks

I believe t-shirts are $40-$45 for his current tour - and from what I've seen, they're pretty lame! His official site has up-to-date shirts, too, on the tour-merch page...
    Someone at his official site posted this:
    [​IMG]

24. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Thanks. I missed that there was a tour merch page on the official store. I like the idea that there are shirts specific to a particular show.

25. She is anyway

Maybe this is where he reveals some coordination between the tour and the Archive series. I see two or three t-shirts with images from the Ram sessions, one with an image from McCartney, and one that, I think, reads (I can't quite make it out in the photo) "Wings Tour 1976". So, of all the Archive releases so far, all, other than McCartney II, are represented here, albeit somewhat obliquely.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.