New Paul McCartney Out There Tour Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Why not just do away with a band completely and let him sing to a backing track for the whole show? Or better still, he can lipsync.

Bruce M., Kevin j and whisper3978 like this.
  2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Apart from the fact that I'm not so smitten on a couple of choices, I think that some songs work better in a live context than others. I just don't see many of these as great live songs, let along songs I'd pick from his back catalogue. But I don't mean to pick fault with your list, I just really wanted to illustrate how hard it would be for Macca to pick the deep cuts because there are so many of them and there's really little consensus among fans about which songs are more "worthy" :)

Yankee8156 likes this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The Costello 'spinning wheel' would help him to get around that problem, to a degree.

4. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

This is something attractive. He should invest some more time to do music lessons for everyone :)

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  5. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

While a really cool concept that helps facilitate unique setlists, I just can't picture something like that at a Paul McCartney concert. And not just because he'd never do it. It just doesn't seem like it would work in the kind of setting McCartney plays in. It's the kind of thing that probably works well in a small, intimate setting, but when you get to arena and stadium shows, it seems like it would be a little awkward to do. Plus, I can't imagine what it would do to the actual ebb and flow of a show.

Paul H likes this.
  6. backseat

Why we don't write a serious petition for a special concert with a solo setlist? If we focus on the fact that this could be a special night (well, maybe a couple) I think it could be interesting for him too to see the reaction.
    Can you imagine Paul at Royal Albert Hall doing SOLO MATERIAL? I would say it would be a great success. Obviously we need a live album immediately after...
    :D

theMess and heatherly like this.
  7. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

That'd be just about the only way anyone would be able to afford to hear that show. ;)

Paul H likes this.
  8. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I would personally prefer he hire a modest string and horn section and pass on all the theatrics/videos and fireworks for a small venue tour. If not cheaper-it at least has to be a wash.

Seeing him perform the Golden Slumbers medley with George Martin's orchestra at the concert for Montseratt was priceless. Songs like Penny Lane and Got to Get You Into My Life would have new life. Wix is great, but c'mon...

teebo911 and theMess like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This is a great idea, and I would definitely sign a petition like this. A Blu-ray DVD release of a solo songs only concert at the Royal Albert Hall would be one of my most prized possessions.

10. corchians

corchians Forum Resident

Stop talking about petition, is time for the action!!!:D
    How can we do?? The best way is to write to Paul's press agent? or at MPL?
    There are so many songs to hear from his solo album, also after the Wings era.
    My dream is to hear songs never performed live from "Tug of War" and "Press" but also from "Flaming Pie"!!

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't think that it would interrupt the flow of the show; he could do it as his first or second encore. I also don't see how it would be awkward, I imagine that it would be fun more than anything else.
    I understand your point about the size of the stadium, but every review of Paul's shows that I have ever read mention that he is able to make a stadium of any size feel small and intimate, so I think that he could pull it off.

As for your other point, I fully agree, he will never actually do this.

She is anyway likes this.
  12. backseat

We can draw ourselves a list and submit it to Paul. Imagine a set with popular songs like Goodnight Tonight, Mull of Kintyre, Another Day, Live and Let Die, Band on the Run, Jet, My Love, Listen to What the Man Said, Silly Love Songs, Let'em In, Maybe I'm Amazed (and much of these song are in recent setlists) and then an acoustic set with Heart of The Country, Little Lamb Dragonfly, Ram On, Junk, Put It There: a piano set with Once Upon a Long Ago, No More Lonely Nights, Beautiful Night... Then throw in some rockers like Hi Hi Hi, Junior's Farm, Girls' School, Letting Go, Old Siam, Sir...some pop thing like My Brave Face, Hope of Deliverance, Young Boy or Ebony and Ivory. I'm just mentioning some titles that come to mind, btu there's plenty of to choose from.
    It could work for a special night, an intimate venue, like the Up Close show.

And what's wrong with that? :)

13. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Since we're dreaming, I'd really love a piano set with:
    Once Upon a Long Ago, Beautiful Night, Little Lamb Dragonfly, Tomorrow, Treat Her Gently/Lonely Old People, Warm and Beautiful, Martha My Dear, Wanderlust, Through Our Love, Only Love Remains

Acoustic: Don't Let it Bring You Down, The Pound is Sinking, Tug of War, Footprints

Also throw in Daytime, Nightime Suffering and Goodnight Tonight somewhere along the line!

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Great ideas and song choices. These are just the sort of songs that I would like to see him sing, and I would also add more solo songs from later on in his career, songs like Somedays, Little Willow, Friends To Go, Scared, Hosanna, I Can Bet, etc.

backseat and Tord like this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

People know this music, you'd be surprised at the people who follow McCartney.

I don't agree that most people in the audience wouldn't know these songs, it's one of the reasons I like Youtube, people from all over the world comment on his music and it gives you a great indication of how widespread his fanbase really is.

Just read the comments for many of these songs, people know, now of course not every single person, but many who attend his concerts know the music.

So yes, it's reasonable to think that McCartney could perform a much wider variety of his music.

Tord and theMess like this.
  16. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

It can be done. The Stones did it at least on the Bridges To Babylon tour & I saw the show at Giants Stadium.

theMess likes this.
  17. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

What did they do exactly? The spinning wheel?

Edit: Based on the Wikipedia article for the tour, it sounds like they did a web vote beforehand, similar to what they did on their recent run of shows. I suppose they would've known getting on stage what they'd be performing, and it was just one song. I think McCartney going over to a wheel and giving it a spin would be a little different.

18. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Online vote would be fine with me, have 10 song choices (deep cuts and minor hits) and whatever gets the most votes gets played.

She is anyway, theMess and Perian like this.
  19. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Agreed.....I think it would be pretty cool.

theMess likes this.
  20. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

And have rules for songs to be dropped after 1 or 2 plays and replaced with other songs that fit the same criteria.

Then release them as HD downloads or an album through the website after the tour wraps up.

theMess likes this.
  21. I just thought of this while listening to Live at the BBC:

Dear Paul,
    I'll be seeing you at the final Candlestick gig in San Francisco. I know how you occasionally like to play something that suits the area (like San Francisco Bay Blues). Therefore, I'd like to request The Hippy Hippy Shake.
    Thanks!

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This would be a fabulous thing for Paul to do, and I am sure that it would keep both casual and 'super' fans happy. This is probably the best idea yet because it is more realistic.

heatherly likes this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

fanĀ·fic (f[​IMG]n[​IMG]f[​IMG]k[​IMG])n. Informal

Fiction written by fans as an extension of an admired work or series of works, especially a television show, often posted on the Internet or published in fanzines.

:)

24. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

foxylady, heatherly and theMess like this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I hope that you enjoy it, I am sure that you will. I have been wondering if Paul had this break so that he could practice a few songs that he hasn't played in a while, especially now that the reissues have been announced.

She is anyway and heatherly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.