New Paul McCartney Out There Tour Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I don't know if this will help anyone here, but it can't hurt...

McCartney's official website has a contest with free tickets to his upcoming "out there" shows. The drawing for each city is typically just a couple days before each show.

Enter here: http://www.paulmccartney.com/out-there-ticket-contest

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^Note: You have to "reside within one hundred and fifty (150) mile radius" of a concert location to enter. Arnie

theMess likes this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yeah......he'll revive the "Venus & Mars/Rock Show" opener. I would have wanted to see it in Albany.

4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

That would be awesome!

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Well, I was dieing to see this in 2010 ... it was pretty cool but disappointingly abbreviated ... sort of "Venus & Mars/Roc-"

Can't bore the Beatleheads right out of the gate, even for a few minutes :)

She is anyway likes this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I was shocked when he opened with that a few years ago (2010). I've had the good fortune to catch a few "first shows" on US tours (Vegas '93, Oakland '02, Phoenix '10) and get to be surprised with setlists. Too bad that won't happen this summer! But I'll happily enjoy BOTH of my shows next week. :)

heatherly likes this.
  7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I actually dig the recent live edit of V&M/Rock Show :hide:

Since the song was just a minor hit it's safe to say people would start looking at their watch or sitting down if he did the full length version. The fact that he segues into Jet in less than 2 mins keeps them cheering and the adrenaline level up.

Kermit27 and theMess like this.
  8. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

It really would be awesome.

BZync and Beaneydave like this.
  9. RayS

Boooooooooooooooo! :)

V+M/RockShow/Jet is an integral track on a great album that went to #1. Surely the Beatards can handle a few more verses!

apple-richard and She is anyway like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I think Paul didn't want to take a chance that the all the weeping grandmas in the audience would die before he was able to play Yesterday for them one last time, so it only made sense to butcher Rockshow.

11. Arnold Grove

He would have been better off going from "Venus & Mars" straight into something unrelated, like "Helter Skelter". That would have shaken things up in an unpredictable way. Arnie

She is anyway likes this.
  12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Getting Closer.

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  13. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

"Cuff Link".

theMess likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

That would be good too! Arnie

15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Venus and Mars/We All Stand Together...

16. Arnold Grove

That would NOT be good....

But maybe Bip Bop/We All Stand Together/Hey Diddle/Mary Had A Little Lamb as an encore!!

;) Arnie

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

theMess and susyredstripe like this.
  18. RayS

theMess likes this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Venus and Mars Rockshow wouldn't have anyone looking at their watch, they would be too busy rocking!

20. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Saw the show in Minneapolis last night and there is no way someone, let alone one in his/her 70s, should be able to put out such energy and never look like they're struggling. I'm sure it helps to have the crowd behind you 100%, giving you energy and cheering your every toss of the head, wave or casual gesture directed your way. But still. And it's not like he was coasting.

Among the innumerable highlights, it was real cool to hear his guitar-shredding jam (to the rhythm of "Foxy Lady") that came after "Let Me Roll It." Gutsy and very rock & roll. Sure, most of night was about nostalgia, but I appreciated the many times the band cut loose and just ROCKED.

Amazing show, fantastic weather, incredible celebratory mood in the stadium. Brought my little girl with and she was just ecstatic. Something we'll cherish forever.

Would have preferred the inclusion of some songs (Penny Lane, A Day In The Life, Got To Get You Into My Life, Silly Love Songs, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, anything from "Flaming Pie", Early Days) but, on the whole, I cannot say I have a complaint. I had not seen McCartney since 1989, and was not planning on seeing him again were it not for my daughter's enthusiasm and, WOW, am I glad she made this happen.

21. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I was also at the Minneapolis show last night and I had an immensely great experience. This is the third time I've seen Paul live ('89 Toronto, '93 Winnipeg) and had seats on Row 24 in the center of the stage on the field. Being this close to Paul and having him perform songs that are so intertwined into my musical DNA for so many years was an incredible thrill.

The band sounded fantastic; tight, full, and you can feel and hear that wonderful, special 'something' that great musicians/bands who've played together for a long time possess.

My personal highlights:

Paperback Writer-Paul played the original guitar he wrote the main riff on; it was just so 'heavy' live...it rocked

Maybe I'm Amazed-one of my all time favorite songs and guitar solo(s)

Something-a touching tribute to George; the various photos of Paul and George together in the studio were especially compelling and moving while this was performed

Lovely Rita-anything played from Sgt. Pepper will automatically make me crazy with glee

Mr. Kite- see above

Hey Jude-listening to 40,000 people joining in and singing along then turning around to see thousands of smartphones lighting up the seats all over the stadium from my vantage point on the floor so close to the stage was something I'll never forget. It was very moving...a wonderful sense of togetherness.

The Beatles/Paul have such a deep, long running thread thru my entire life, both at a personal and musical level, I simply cannot be objective about them at all lol, so, while nostalgia was a big part of last night, every song thoroughly pushed my emotional buttons, especially when played by Paul only a few feet away from me. Magical....the memories and emotions these song stir in me touch me deeply...

I loved the vibe and mood of the crowd, and it was especially cool to see the diverse, wide ranging ages in attendance. When I see dozens of people 20-ish and under singing along and knowing all of the words to many of the songs it just warms my heart...these songs have touched so many people across decades it was fantastic to see that exemplified all around me.

All in all, a great time, a nice, warm summer evening outdoors, and something that'll put a smile on my face for the rest of my days. I'm off to jam some Beatles on the guitar...!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    I333I, wags262, vamborules and 10 others like this.
  22. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Well, the show was extremely enjoyable. I took my 14 year old daughter to the show. We both loved it. She's still talking about how happy she is that we went to the show and saw a legend like Paul McCartney.

This was my first time seeing Paul in concert. Given the fact that he only seems to play in Minnesota about once a decade, I'm so glad that I went to this show.

23. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I, too, will be taking my 14 year old daughter to see Paul this Sunday at Dodger Stadium. Nice seats. I don't know which of us is more excited. Okay, I do - it's me.

I don't know if you heard the announcement, Paul is jumping on the "play an entire album front to back" bandwagon - starting next show. They renamed this tour the "Broad Street / Press To Play" tour. :)

nesboy43, She is anyway and theMess like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If that were true, I would literally sell my family's house just to make it to the show. :D

Seriously.

25. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Never. gonna. happen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.