New Paul Weller album "True Meanings" due in September 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Even Weller admits Heliocentric is weak. He could not get a US label to bite on that one either. UK only release, at least for the first 5 years. Maybe it got picked up later, but I think not.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I remember having to find that one as an import in the pre-online shopping days. And also remember being pretty disappointed with it. :cry:

3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It never had a US release.

I like it a lot more than Illumination or Studio 150.

heliocentric and themisto like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I notice US amazon only lists digital at present. I hope they add physical product options...

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Just pre-ordered the 2x vinyl.
    Hope it's not as mellow/melancholy as it might seem.

6. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

Not enamoured with the cover to be honest - looks a bit generic to me and not the most flattering of portraits either. Hope the music is good though- he's done some great acoustic and strings stuff over the years

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Is that a cigarette in Weller's hand?! Surely that will be air-brushed out.:D

phillyal1 and Claudio Dirani like this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Other Paul.

phillyal1, Daryl M and Claudio Dirani like this.
  9. heavysoulbrutha

heavysoulbrutha Forum Resident

Agreed. The inner photo looks much better, with him lounging in front of the chair and smiling a bit.

10. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

2. Glide
    4. Gravity
    6. What Would He Say?

The three tracks above already performed live, being Gravity around 2013 if I'm not mistaken.

e.s. likes this.
  11. Claudio Dirani

12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Someone else pointed out that the sleeve is kind of a nod to Nick Drake's Bryter Layter. I can see that.

The last several albums haven't really featured Weller on the cover (he barely there on Sonik Kicks), so I thought it was good that he's actually front and center again for a change.

I don't see what's unflattering about it – it looks like a 60-year-old version of Paul Weller, still not caring much about what anyone else thinks 40 years on from the first Jam album.

13. heavysoulbrutha

Nothing really to do about his age with me. He's actually done this "man in a chair" thing before. This is the USA cover for Studio 150. It's just a better and cooler image, I think.

[​IMG]

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That was the photo for the "Thinking of You" single before it was recycled for this. Peter Blake did the cover used everywhere else, didn't he?

People like what they like, obviously, but beyond the fact this clearly wasn't what he originally wanted for the Studio 150 sleeve, I feel the exact opposite about the strength of this image.

That said, the heyday for Weller sleeves was The Style Council. Even with Simon Halfon on board as designer for most of his career, few of his album and single sleeves have stood out as truly great.

Changingman and heavysoulbrutha like this.
  15. heavysoulbrutha

Paul's got the cover and an interview in the new MOJO magazine, talking about the new album. You can order it direct, especially for those of us in the US or international, as the cover image usually changes outside the UK. It'll most likely be Prince in other regions. I ordered one and it was $16 including shipping.

Mojo Magazine Single Print Issues | Great Magazines

[​IMG]

Claudio Dirani and e.s. like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

W.H.A.T.? Well... both artworks do include a chair. But: One man looks neurotic, grubby and is wearing no shoes while the other seems in tune with himself and his surroundings and radiates an air of sophistication.

Record Rotator likes this.
  17. Claudio Dirani

SPOILER ALERT

He's already at work on the follow up. In the interview, he mentions it might be out in 2019. One song has been revealed. It's called Mirror Ball. A nine-part disco-like track.

DPK and rediffusion like this.
  18. heavysoulbrutha

New song released today! Very soulful. Love it!!!

DeRosa, mrjinks, DPK and 4 others like this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Moving On sounds great! I’m all for the acoustic balladeer Weller so I’m very interested!

DeRosa, e.s. and Claudio Dirani like this.
  20. Claudio Dirani

I've been trying to complete my PW CD singles collection, by the way.
    Got a bunch of them lately. Mermaids, The Changingman, C'mon. Let's Go, Wild Wood, Peacock Suit, Hung Up and Sunflower.

DPK and e.s. like this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

He’s in great voice these days. Hard to believe sometimes that it’s the same singer that did “In the City,” or even “My Ever Changing Moods.” Love that he has never stopped developing his talents.

DeRosa, mrjinks and Claudio Dirani like this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wasn’t sure what I’d think of an album of lush acoustic balladry from Paul, but the first two tracks are exceeding my expectations!

This, and a new Richard Thompson album the same day? :goodie:

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

24. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I love Heliocentric. It doesn’t push the sonic envelope but it’s a lovely set of songs.

Speaking of lovely songs, the two new ones are resonating deep with me. I love that Paul is as creatively exciting now as he was at the heyday of The Jam.

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

While these new songs aren't my favorite style of Weller, I do appreciate that he keeps trying to make each album a little different, and pushing himself in different directions, and not staying stagnant/stale as so many artists, most even younger than him, tend to do.

Ken.e. and Claudio Dirani like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.