New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Got the Newbury Comics Orpheum vinyl last week. Sadly plain ol black vinyl, but its a nice set. This is my first time hearing this particular show.

How about an Atlanta '94 lp set next? :)

ndoheny, James Bennett and Brian Lux like this.
  2. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

There is at least 1 grey market Atlanta 94 album available (and probably more), but it's not the whole show, and obviously going to come from an inferior source:
    Pearl Jam - Dissident (Live At The Fox Theatre, Atlanta 1994 Vs. Tour)

Sadly, I'm sure if 10 Club ever puts out an official vault release of this show, it won't be complete either :( That's the deal breaker for me - I have yet to buy any of the vault vinyl releases because they're always incomplete.

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Is the 2017 Ten worth buying?
    I have the CD

4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Not unless you want a bigger cd with bigger artwork....you know where I’m going!

5. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

What he said. The original US version is the best. I still say the original US CD is the best way to hear his album.

Hep Alien, kannibal, dobyblue and 2 others like this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Ok, thank you for saving my money . I'll stick with my CD.

7. Vinyl Richie

The stampers on the 2017 version are identical to the remastered 2009 version, I believe. But, at least the artwork is new!!

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The best of the reissues imo are Binaural and Riot Act soundwise. I don’t think self titled sounds that bad either but some may not like the new mix I guess...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. Vinyl Richie

There is a 2011 euro version of Vs that compares favorably with the original pressing. I can find the UPC later and post.

10. Vinyl Richie

Sorry, it is a 2016 SST cut that was not advertised. Not the 2016 US or EU repress.

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I know this is a little old, but the 2013 reissue of BSSM on vinyl was cut directly from the original analogue master tape. I believe in the very early 90s BOB was yet to the point where he said "no more" to tape.

Ten was mixed to both DAT and 1/2" analogue tape by Tim Palmer (he personally confirmed) so an AAA release of Ten is a possibility...hopefully someday they might let someone like Intervention Records or Analog Spark take a crack at a 2LP version.

A1 Once
    A2 Even Flow
    A3 Alive
    14:25

B1 Why Go?
    B2 Black
    B3 Jeremy
    14:21

C1 Oceans
    C2 Porch
    C3 Garden
    11:09

D1 Deep
    D2 Release
    13:21

Hep Alien, Soundslave and richbdd01 like this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I have the VS Legacy one and I don’t think it sounds bad, it’s not cut at SST though. Sounds much better than the MoV 2011 reissue...

marcfeld69 and superstar19 like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I never viewed PJ as a vinyl type of artist. Perhaps they issued some early albums on vinyl, but they were associated with the cassette/CD generation early on. "Ten" seems like a CD experience, rather than a vehicle for vinyl.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Kind of the opposite. I mean, the albums were definitely all CD-length, but considering they have multiple songs about spinning vinyl and released Vitalogy on vinyl two weeks early just for the hell of it, they're definitely a vinyl-conscious band. The packaging of their last few LP's on vinyl has been really excellent as well. I'd like to say some of their albums were recorded all-analog, but I'm not sure (parts definitely were, for sure).

Pretty much everything they've done post-'94 is brickwalled to hell, so there's definitely merit in collecting them on vinyl, even if this reissue series isn't what a lot of us wish it could've been, sonics/mastering-wise.

15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

They definitely love the idea of vinyl that's for sure, I remember the two week lead on the vinyl for Vitalogy and Spin The Black Circle as the lead single. I think a more accurate statement is they don't understand how to execute vinyl from a sonic standpoint. There's really nothing to indicate the brickwalled digital masterings aren't the same masterings used for vinyl.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Perhaps. It's a real bummer, their catalog deserves better. I think they're one of the best-recorded rock bands of the last 25 years, just the mastering ends up kind of killing it.

I liked the Backspacer and Lightning Bolt LP's quite a lot though, and am happy to have them...I think they're a significant improvement.

17. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

B O'Brien is trash

18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Well they were always champions of vinyl. Remember in 1994 they gave Vitalogy a two week advance release on vinyl so if you wanted the new album of one of the biggest bands at the time, you had to buy it on record, and vinyl in 1994 was thought of as a dead format, so it's not like they're Johnny come latelies at jumping on the bandwagon

marcfeld69, Old Rusty and theshape like this.
  19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

20. Daniel Plainview

21. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I'm curious to know too. Have past RSD ambassadors always put out a release for RSD?

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’m getting sick of all the live releases and still no lost dogs :(

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  23. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

No, which is incredibly stupid.

JasonA likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Looking over previous ambassador list - Ozzy, Iggy, Jackie White, Chuck D, Metallica. Good company. I'm surprised PJ hasn't done this before since they've always supported the vinyl.

BTW - did PJ ever cough up a fan club 45 this year?

25. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Yes and no. They released a download of new track Can't Deny Me last spring but no 45 of it. It was announced as "from forthcoming album" so it's dubious whether it's actually a holiday single or not.

Hep Alien likes this.