New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Looks like a nice reissue, and in good shape.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

There is no official release date announced for the next batch, all the dates being posted are not the actual release dates for these albums, they are shipping estimate dates provided by the store based on whatever information they have and, as far as I can tell, not at all based on information actually provided by the label responsible for releasing these LP's. Seems to be just a number for "internal" order management...

ElvisRocks likes this.
  3. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Believe me, I've heard some Oakland '77 in my day. I missed listening to Boston yesterday for the 39 year anniversary. That's #2 in my book. I need to go back to those 77 tapes. It's funny how Waters watermarked each show during Pigs. I think Oakland was #48, but I get in trouble when I try to remember bootlegs around here.

I'd put that, Zep 6/21/77 LA, and maybe Grateful Dead Hollywood Palladium '71 as the best audience tapes I've heard.

I want to know. Are there multi-track recordings from 77? If not, I want to know why. The In the Flesh Tour. Wow. Best stadium tour of all time. I'm sorry this is about 90% irrelevant to this thread. But maybe Animals will have a couple bonus discs with live tracks... All analogue multi-track mixed down triple LP from the 1977 In the Flesh Tour. Who's buying that? I'd buy 2.

snkcube, PH416156, pinkrudy and 4 others like this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That's me!

The info was from Discogs and it was confusing. Now I can't find the entry. It had many many matrix numbers. The deadwax info on my Columbia ‎– JC 34474 looks like side 1 is from an earlier issue of the LP and side 2 is from a later issue. So it's a later issue from the late 70s but side 1 is from an earlier stamper. That's how I read it but I can't find the entry anymore.

I also have one with a barcode. Putting both together and it's clear the earlier version with no barcode has much more blue in the sky. The later barcode version has the sky all brown and red.

So I didn't notice before because I was busy but all my US Amazon delivered 2016 Pink Floyd reissues all had minor dishing now that I give them a good look. Not enough to return but they are all a bit jacked. Just for everyone's additional info and to be relevant.

5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes, it's irrelevant but while we are waiting for the next batch to be released we can spent some time in dreamland...

This is exactly what is missing as bonus material : a professional sound quality live set of each tour. I always asked myself why they never recorded the extented version of The embryo.

Before the Wall, PF concerts seemed to reach other heights adding to the studio set experience.

6. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yes they seemed to but who really knows? Not me. Decent live recordings from their peak years are few and far between and they disrespected the one they did release by bifurcating it onto two releases.

Norco74 likes this.
  7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have the BBC 170 & 1971 CDs that both have extended liver versions of 'The Embryo'. Awesome song live and should have been added to UmmaGumma's live CD/Vinyl. Actually I have mentioned this before, as wish UmmaGumma Live set would have also included 'Interstellar Overdrive', so would have had 6 Live Songs from that time period(or better yet release another Live album with those 6 Songs and add, 'Echoes', 'One of These Days' & 'Atom Heart Mother' even though these songs are on the BBC CDs).

Pancat, ODShowtime and Norco74 like this.
  8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Eh. I don't agree.
    The employee that I dealt with at Amoeba looked at two copies of PATGOD and wouldn't sell it to me. We are talking about specific records here, where obviously something happened in the pressing process.
    If people are returning records that they haven't even cleaned, or might pop here and there, yes, that is an issue. But I'm not going to risk my $500 cart by playing something that resembles a salad bowl.

metalrules likes this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I can't wait that long.

Raylinds and Shak Cohen like this.
  10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Man, I agree with you. But back in the 70's and 80's a new record didn't have to be cleaned to sound...new, and spectacular. Why we need to clean new records now is bizarre.
    Nevertheless, you made a good point.
    Now clean your record (and spend the time and money to do it) and you'll have a record that will sound at least as half as good as an original, used one.

jmczaja and Joti Cover like this.
  11. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Many reasons can explain that but technology is the culprit. We have better playback equipment today and I am quite sure that mastering and pressing processes were brought up to speed.

My vinyl listening experience is better than 30 years ago. I still have the same turntable but upgraded the arm and the cart.

From my experience and in all fairness, a lot of the records bought today sound way better than their old version. An RCM will help to keep your records in good condition but will not repair damaged ones. Once the dust is permanently incrusted in the vinyl, it is forever.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  12. Fraggle

Fraggle Active Member

Hello Sergio,

thanks a lot for your statement. I have the same problems with new vinyl.

Which are the 2 best stores in Europe in your opinion?

What's about "jpc" (Germany)?

Thanks a lot!

Many regards

SergioRZ likes this.
  13. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Hello Fraggle, I would prefer to not make any comments about these stores that are in fact my direct competition here in Europe, I hope you understand and I'm sorry that I can't be more specific with store names regarding my experience with them.

Fraggle likes this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If the record resembles a salad bowl, certainly that would be visible without even opening the packaging!

15. Larry DeMellier

Larry DeMellier Forum Resident

I've always assumed that the reason the U.S. version of A NICE PAIR replaced the studio cut of "Astronomy Domine" with the live UMMAGUMMA cut was simply because U.S. Capitol didn't have a tape copy of PIPER and never bothered to request a fresh copy from mother EMI in the U.K. The original U.S. version of PIPER, titled simply PINK FLOYD in all domestic press and catalogs at the time as well as the spine of the sleeve (even though 'THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN' remained on the back of the sleeve), had "See Emily Play" added to the front and eliminated "Astronomy Domine," "Flaming" and "Bike" from its running order.

Of course that's all common knowledge, but applying it to the strange appearance of the live "Astronomy" on the US A NICE PAIR, my theory is that the original PIPER tapes Capitol had been serviced with to compile PINK FLOYD were long gone. Capitol had tapes of "Bike" from RELICS and "Flaming" from a tape theoretically retained for that track's (non-album) single release (pictured below).

I no longer have the cassette of A NICE PAIR I bought as a kid but suppose the only real way to test the theory would be to determine if "Flaming" on the U.S. A NICE PAIR is in mono (or re-channeled/simulated stereo) from the "Flaming" single-release master; if it is the true stereo mix, then Capitol must've had a stereo copy of the U.K. PIPER, and I haven't a clue as to why they substituted UMMAGUMMA's "Astronomy"...

Incidentally, the original U.S. mono PINK FLOYD (PIPER) was mastered brilliantly and on thick microgroove vinyl; the best I've ever heard PIPER (though I've never had a UK mono with which to compare). I have that, as well as the stock "Flaming" single as pictured. Conversely, the NM stereo Tower SAUCERFUL I had sounded terrible: noisy and flat. Very lame.

[​IMG]

16. Larry DeMellier

Too bad they didn't include a facsimile of the original U.S. promo poster for UMMAGUMMA in this reissue. Probably the coolest of all the Pink Floyd promo posters. It wasn't designed by Hipgnosis but rather the same Capitol design team (I assume) responsible for the U.S. RELICS sleeve and its accompanying color trade ads. MEDDLE had a poster too with (underground comix) Dave Sheridan artwork, but it's not that great; as did AHM, which was a straight 20" x 30" litho of the AHM sleeve art with that same block font as this UMMAGUMMA. Smaller b&w promo posters were printed in the U.K. for both UMMAGUMMA and AHM, featuring outtake art from each respective Hipgnosis photo session.

It would've been cool if reprints of these had been included. Then again, Pink Floyd catalog will sell what it sells regardless of any value-added inserts, so bothering probably isn't worth it. Records by even the biggest bands in rock are just niche products these days, and recorded popular music in general is no longer profitable (and only marginally significant as a cultural force) for myriad reasons, but that's, admittedly, a digression.

[​IMG]

17. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I've never seen this poster. Very cool.

18. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I suppose I could dig out the "A Nice Pair" cassette I have and check Flaming. I know the Astronomy Domine version is the Ummagumma version.

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

No one here ever exaggerates here about condition/dishing/warping. I swear the internet has made people very hyperbolic with their comments.

Norco74 likes this.
  20. Larry DeMellier

Oh cool - it should sound something like this or a re-channeled version of it (actually a lot of people write that the U.S. single mix of "Flaming" is totally unique; it's not, it's just the mono version which is quite different than the stereo):

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, they use hyperbole when it is not appropriate, and complain when it is used appropriately by others.

22. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Yeah and some people even assume they know that everyone else is wrong with no evidence whatsoever.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I saw several pictures of "terrible dishing" that didn't look that bad, so I have seen some evidence.

24. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

That's kinda what I'm referring to in my last sarcastic post. I've bought countless new vinyl pressings that have had runs "plagued" with dishing. I've received records that are a little dished but have NEVER had a problem playing back said records. And this is on a Thorens with very sensitive platter suspension. A big warp is different and I've certainly had issues playing back severely warped records.

tkl7 likes this.
  25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Very cool indeed!