New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

hang in there ! your time will most certainly come.

i JUST picked up AHM ….. so i'm way behind the times on that 2nd wave ….. it's all good, is all i can say. i'm just so happy that i can enjoy music in this way again (WE ARE LUCKY ! lol)…. after being sidetracked by cds for so long ! i just picked up nirvana's 3LP 45 RPM of in utero …. and BLASTED it. so. good.

cheers!

DrZhivago likes this.
  2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

What do you mean by that? Do you think that there is there a lack of dynamic range or something?

3. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Pretty sure post-DSOTM, the floyds' answer is no.

Norco74 likes this.
  4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Not really, at least that's not how I perceived it, seems more like the result of EQ... hard to tell, maybe there is some compression going on. What I hear is the original going deeper, when it kicks there is this eruption of sound that I can feel punching me right on the face, and the guitar has more weight on the long solos, it's more alive and meaty. The reissue was just thinner and brighter, not making the right emotional connection when I played it. I understand why they did it like this, but in my opinion, it was a mistake. It sounds ok, I guess it's clearer and cleaner, but it might just be missing the point... ;)

IanL, DrZhivago, Gary and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, it's definitely thinner, and doesn't have that thickness due to the shelving of the low end. It does, as a result, open up the highs like you said.

6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. I already have one, from amazon uk. I posted my review here:
    New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues »

I wanted to source the 2nd copy locally, since the first one is badly warped and has loud pops on each side.

Regards

polchik and Dr. Mudd like this.
  7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I thought the prevailing thought on the original cut was that the drums sounded like boxes, and the sound was fairly dark and dense, and wouldn't it be wonderful to get a clean re-master.
    Now we've got a BG cut that provides clarity (how are the drums?), opens the sound, yet now takes away some of the punch and aggression.

Of course I'll formulate my own opinion after a listen, but its occurred to me that maybe we're seeing a backlash to the loudness complaints, with vinyl now being cut perhaps too quiet.
    Just a thought.....

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Got lucky with a flawless pressing of Animals, flat and absolutely zero surface noise. Packaging is nice and I was extra careful removing the LP from that tightly fitted thick cardboard inner. I'm actually getting really good at it. Just carefully hold one side against your ribs, and push the opposite end, it will bend the inner so when you grab the tip of the LP with your other hand, the LP will gently roll out without even touching the inner sleeve. Works like a charm.

Clanceman, mr.dave, richbdd01 and 9 others like this.
  9. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I think it's a question of perspective. I think some people might be used to that dark and dense sound. Those who aren't will probably appreciate the ''lighter'' side of this issue. I have no problems either way, honestly. I doubt that it's a question of cutting level, though. The level is pretty much the same as most records from the 70's. But yes, in my opinion, the current version lacks the punch and power of the 70's issues - even the early cd's for that matter.

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have the same copy, mine is still in the original clear bag. Looks just like yours. No bright colors.

11. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I have a bias toward clean and clearer with an open high end. :shrug:

12. Jomay

Jomay Forum Resident

I would like to hear Animals. I have a few different versions of that album and I really like how it ends up sounding pretty different.

13. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

A quick check of Amazon UK (inc. 3rd party sellers) will show this is not so.

Many of the single disc albums are available for £12 or £13 something (plus the £1.26 postage) whereas Animals has stuck at around the £19 mark.

...unless there are other sources I'm not aware of?

14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Have you compared it to a Japan press? Don't recall if you have one or not....they opened that up as well with EQing.

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I no longer have the Japan pressing, but this is much brighter than that was. To me, it's really missing the dynamic impact of earlier cuts...no matter now loud you turn it up. It's a bit frustrating really. It's like a little compact car where you step on the gas...only nothing happens.

Of course, it seems some people are loving the additional clarity. But I think they've over compensated, and changed the feel of the album too much.

IanL, radam40, Clanceman and 4 others like this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:righton:

17. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

AlexC likes this.
  18. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Spun my old CBS pressing of 'Animals' using a spherical stylus. Works wonders, as there something lodged deep with in the groove at the end of 'Sheep' that is causing my elliptical stylus to skip. The spherical stylus picks up the spot but doesn't skip. I made a digital copy and retired the record for good :( . My new copy arrives Tuesday, looking forward to it.

Clanceman and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  19. Is that the only skyline pic you could find?

bootbox and jon9091 like this.
  20. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

violetvinyl likes this.
  21. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Many people do nowadays, and that's okay. Mine is towards the other end, and that's okay too. Another poster made an interesting analogy quite a few pages back: if you like the brighter covers of the present reissues, you'll like what's inside as well. My caveat is that they've thinned the bass, which moves the listening focus to the higher frequencies. The drums sound more open, but lose a lot of their previous impact as a result - especially the toms and the kick. Some will actually welcome this.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    IanL, Vinyl Dude and jon9091 like this.
  22. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

[QUOjoking
    E="AlexC, post: 15523583, member: 67525"]I agree on sound but not on the covers!
    I feel obliged to quote my pic.
    Smoke free japanese cover for comparaison.[/QUOTE]
    Was just fooling around.
    I know they're different. Just trying to have a little fun.

AlexC likes this.
  23. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there are other sources, hundreds of stores worldwide, many of them online ;)

From Warner, Sony and all official suppliers and distributors, the price is the same for singles, and it's the same for doubles. Any store/retailer or vendor selling them at different prices (between singles or between doubles) is not following the price strategy of this program, or for some reason that I'm unaware of, are getting them at different prices from some marginal source with unusual prices...

There is no reason for Animals to cost more, Warner/Sony is charging exactly the same for it.

24. wisebuddah

wisebuddah Active Member

Acoustics.... Auto correct. Sheesh

IanL, The Beave and violetvinyl like this.
  25. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I finally got around to listening to my copy of Animals that arrived from Amazon UK. Jacket was in perfect shape as was the record (flat, centered and no marks). I started with side 2 and it played through perfectly without any noise. Flip over to side 1 and quite a lot of small ticks and pops. I didn't even get past the intro to Dogs. After two cleanings in the Spin Clean they are still there in the same spots. Luckily, Amazon UK is refunding me. I thought the music sounded good but it wasn't an improvement over my US original or my later US pressing with barcode. I put on my later US pressing (since it is a very quiet pressing) afterwards and preferred it to the new reissue. The reissue was cut at a lower volume and was overall brighter. Not bad but I think I'll just stick with what I have for this album.

jon9091, Rekkerds and hi_watt like this.