New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

How do you mean?

2. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Same, I really liked the 5.1 mix of WYWH, DSOTM not so much. Starts out great but after and including 'Money' it becomes less dynamic and the drums are compressed which is I find is annoying. I do like the tubular bells at the end of 'Brain Damage' and (what sounds like to me) a faint piano ' A note' ping in the guitar solo section of 'Time'. You can hear both faintly in the stereo mix, especially on the early UK pressings.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Pro EQing from a tape vs EQing on a home system with treble/bass adjusting.

The Beave and SergioRZ like this.
  4. Slick Willie

Yep, DSOTM in 5.1 is just boring IMO.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And? So? Why is a touch of EQ at home so horrifying? It was standard for decades. The guy EQing the record has no idea the shape of your room, your type of speakers, your type of stylus, your type of cables, your amp....

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Unfortunately not. I have no gear to listen to SACD, x.1 surround or DVD-A. Vinyl, CD and Hi-Res files only.

7. Slick Willie

You are on an audiophile forum....keeping that in mind...
    When you audition equipment, where are the controls set? In bypass or top dead center (TDC).
    When you review or perform shootouts of pressings, where should they be set? In bypass or TDC.
    In your home, listening for you...where should they be set? Anywhere you want them to be!
    Make sense? Keeps everything on a level (as much as possible) playing field

SergioRZ likes this.
  8. Slick Willie

Oh well....it's only one disc...not life altering...

9. Norco74

For most people, including myself, our listening room are less than perfect hence a few necessary tweaks and cheats to get this right... Listening position been the #1 factor IMO. Go to the Cardas.com site and get their speaker positionning calculator (free) for initial positioning, then play around, amazing. Get good cables, not the insanely priced ones, just good cable and good plugs ( light rolled copper gold platted bananas, less than $10 each). Will never loose their spring action.

I am not a fan of tone controls as my beloved pre-amp/amps/speakers are just what my ears grew up with and get used to for the last 25 years. Less than 1 records out of 50 would make me wish that I have some kind of tone controls. My ears will usually get used to a mix within 5-10 minutes of listening. It is what it is, as much as you try to fix things, it remains what it is...

The Beave and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  10. Norco74

Hence not having an SACD player! :agree:

11. Slick Willie

Well now...I wouldn't want to be without at least one!! That's just barbaric!

12. Norco74

In what sense?

13. Slick Willie

Ha! I'm halfway kidding. I just find the DSD/SACD combo thingy more analog sounding than any other hi rez format. Just more smoother/fluid, less fatiguing. But that's just my ear...and gear.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

For what it's worth, in the house I rarely use tone controls. In the car, I EQ the hell out of what I'm listening to. :D

tkl7, puelche, Norco74 and 1 other person like this.
  15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I haven't had tone controls since 1994...

Even when I did have them (on my Arcam Alpha) I usually left them flat.

I think if you have very neutral sounding speakers and a fairly normal-shaped room, you don't need them!

chili555, Vinyl Fan 1973 and Norco74 like this.
  16. Norco74

Your ears, your gear, your choice!

Ben Adams and Telemark like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Tone controls are something I needed when I got my first stereo system when I was just a wee lad. It was the only way I could get something to sound right. I think it was a little system my mother got me from Wilco or Sears, can't remember.

Today I kind of feel like it's cheating somehow if I use them LOL, and my amp is almost always on direct source. That's the setting regardless of format, be it CD, vinyl, Bluray Audio, HDCD, SACD, and I'm usually happy with what I hear.

I don't have the best amp, I know that and hopefully it will be something I'll upgrade in the new year.

18. Slick Willie

Abso-freakin-lutely....unless you are offering up a review!! Then, keep the damn knobs in neutral!!!!!!!!!!
    Edit: Oh wait, you are talkin' about SACD.....did I not say that? Why respond in that way?

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I use that technique but with the inner on its side on a clean table and then just roll it slowly without it touching. The pain is the thinner printed sleeves that glue themselves to an LP with static charge. Theyre the trickiest but i can get most out without any hairlines now. :righton:

Rekkerds and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  20. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Listening to "Animals" right now... man, the ending of "Sheep", the part right after "get out of that road if you want to grow old" explodes! Amazing guitar work presented the right way. Kudos, Mr. Grundman.

J_D__, Joti Cover, Pancat and 12 others like this.
  21. Norco74

Cant wait to hear this...

ETA 3 days :waiting:

SibilanceSegs likes this.
  22. SibilanceSegs

My old receiver was a digital Denon from the 90s, has a lot of preset controls (which I don't like). It is more designed with Home Theater setup, but it does have a CD/Phono and even Tape input. I now use an old 1970's Pioneer receiver that has a lot of knobs and switches and is built like a tank. Along with my dads old Technics speakers, I'm pretty much all Analogue!! Such a relief when there is no computer involved.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  23. SibilanceSegs

SAME.....TUESDAY FOR ME!!!

24. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

As for tone controls: my receiver is the same since 1994, a very modest (professional at that time) equipment with a seven band equalizer and loudness function. I keep the EQ completely flat and use loudness when listening through headphones. In the car I just need the put that bass way up, there's no other way.

25. Norco74

Car is a very hostile environment for sound. No way you can achieve the same level of hifi quality that you have at home.

guidedbyvoices and The Beave like this.