New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was positively surprised about the sound on the new pressing of Animals. There are passages/details I've never heard before, especially in the guitars.
    Very clear sound indeed. And it's great to have the vinyl background noise in total silence.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I LOVE BG's work, therefore my attention has switched to Animals. If my 1st UK sounds in any way sketchy, I may " have " to buy a 2016 of it.

:winkgrin:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  3. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I know what you mean. My old Cdn copy was still lurking in the shadows when I started re-collecting vinyl a few years ago. It still sounds great but it is full of pops and ticks. The new reissue is right up there in my opinion. You really can't go wrong with these.
    Just becareful of WYWH as there are two versions. Sax and Grundman. However, after listening to both, both are yes different but still a joy to listen to.

Hattipper and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

You mean..."no magic is lost...that I can hear using my equipment"

jon9091 and Slick Willie like this.
  5. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I can only base my opinion on what I had and to be honest it's been so long since I heard my Cdn pressing it's hard to give an honest opinion about it. many praise their UK pressings but some on this thread think the new reissue stands up to it..some do not. Everyone is different. take a chance...you just never know, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

Animals = $26.49. So far my UK sounds good, but this is tempting me :
    I also have the Holy Grail Japan for Japan CD, and the 2011 reissued CD.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I liked his base Wally Traugott LP - it sounded pretty good to me. But, I also liked his Canadian pressing - it sounded very spacious whilst maintaining a good solid bass.

By jove, I might even seek one of those Canadian pressings out!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have the 1993 remaster and 2016 reissue CD. But for the latter I couldn't hear such details as on the Grundman vinyl record.

Myke likes this.
  9. Myke

I ordered Animals. Honestly had no idea opinion had changed about these reissues, let alone knowing BG was actually involved ! The last I had read here, they were being trashed, so I just let it go, and read no more until today.

10. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I have most of them, they all sound superb and the quality of the pressings is very good.

BG has his initials in the deadwax of every one I've bought thus far, by jove!

andrewskyDE, Myke and e.s. like this.
  11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

True, but why down convert to a level field when in realty they are not level? You are not hearing what they are.

jon9091 and c-eling like this.
  12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:doh:

jon9091 likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Tone and definition is something I can pick up on the tube.
    My YT up of this played back on my PC sounds better than my old Japan for US, played back via Foobar on my PC. Weird huh :shrug:
    I think quite a bit depends also on how they are recording it. Some up's are quite terrible...

14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I did the same, picked up Animals in HMV for £15, i have an original pressing which has the same cardboard inner. My original seems to suffer a bit from IGD hence the reason in picking up the new one. The 2016 is not as dark sounding or cut as loud as the original. I notice with the new pressing that there is more deadwax, i wonder if this was to avoid IGD?

15. Myke

Animals is perfect !!! I had told a friend earlier, " oh it's really nothing special." Tonight I've cranked it up, and WOW !!! Out of 4 versions, this will be my go-to.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's one of my favorites from the reissues. I love the balanced sound, the cover, and the price. I picked mine up for $22.

Hattipper, Myke and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Have to agree on Animals, sounds fab!

Hattipper, andrewskyDE and Myke like this.
  18. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Animals is currently available from amazon (US) for $15.92

boboquisp, marcb and BlueTrane like this.
  19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

When was this? I don't recall them ever being trashed on here. I would say the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There was a flurry of They're Not Really Analog controversies back when the first few titles were released. I remember clocking in for each successive title and it seemed that there was always this, "they're not really analog and I can tell, they're too EQ'd, too bright", etc. I remember in particular Meddle and The Wall were negatively viewed by several people. The only ones I recall getting overwhelming praise were Ummagumma, DSOTM and Animals.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, there were the typical anti digital complaints from people who didn't bother to actually listen to the records, but I recall The Wall and Meddle being praised as well - several, in fact, claimed The Wall was better than the original press. The only title I recall getting lackluster reviews was AHM, specifically the title track.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Available, but not in stock.

23. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Great price to take advantage of now, tho'. Ordered anyway - it'll come when it comes. Thanks eyeCalypso. :thumbsup:

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Agree. I did too.

BlueTrane likes this.
  25. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

I thought the wall was very good and pound for pound I thought they are good copies if you don't have the originals.
    Would I buy if I had originals, prob not but my experience of tracing down originals is you have to kiss plenty of frogs before you get a prince
    Gary

iloveguitars likes this.