New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Generally, more weight and depth. The reissue is certainly clearer, but to me it's so clear that it sounds tepid and somewhat thinner. I have a German A4/B1 that I also prefer over the reissue for the same reason. The difference isn't super extreme but when you do an A/B comparison on a track like Free Four, it's easy to hear the variance between the pressings.

2. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Hopefully we get pulse too and maybe at a push is there anybody out there

3. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Atom Heart Mother playing just now. What a treat! :)

4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Out picking earlier today and found a dsotm on Capitol. Smas 11163. It has a barcode....7777-11163-1 and is a gatefold. Anyone familiar with this one? It actually sounds very nice and open. To be honest I dont hear a lot of differences between this one and my original or even the bg mastered one. It still had both posters and 1 sticker inside.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I take it that it has MBC stamped and possible gene in the wax? It no Wally fo' sure, but it is nice. I am surprised though that you rate it with the recent reissues.
    Anyhoo...nice find.

6. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Yessir....I can see gene on one side. Forgive my ignorance but who is Gene? A staff engineer at Capitol? Regarding how I rated it....only by memory....not a direct A/B. My original might have better sq overall but it's not in the greatest condition....tics and pops. The bg sounds excellent but slightly analytical if I remember. Happy to grab this one today for the princely sum of $1.00...lol.

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Gene Thompson.

8. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Thanks....not familiar with him. Any idea what year this was released?

9. Tom Holvey

Tom Holvey Forum Resident

Have DSOTM through to The Wall so far, yet to listen to Animals and The Wall all the way through but WYWH and DSOTM sound great. Meddle only £18 on Amazon UK will pick that up soon

10. Slick Willie

Barcode, so after '82, prob '83-'84.

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I gave my 30th anniversary copy a cleaning with my Okki Nokki and it sounds fantastic. Before cleaning it was a bit too noisy, now I think it'll be hard to beat. I also have copy of the MFSL, which also sounds pretty good, but it's not as good as the 30th.

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. Slick Willie

To each their own, but I leaned the other way. As far as latter reissues go, a couple of the better ones IMO.

13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I like the resissue of AHM better than the original uk 1st press and japan 1st press.

oh and I like the More reissue better than my 3rd press UK.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah mine is pretty quiet. Not much noise at all, maybe there are some bad ones out there? It sounds hugely superior to the ?2011 Doug Sax cut...

15. Slick Willie

you so silly!

latheofheaven likes this.
  16. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Exactly, found it distorted before giving it a good wash and rinse in the VPI.

This pressing gives you the pressions you are sitting next to David Gilmour amps in Money solo. Not that the 2016 version is bad but just different, smoother IMHO. I like both.

17. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Great... NOW, I'm gonna hafta read all frigg'n 500 bloody pages of this thread , thanks to you!!! :realmad:

So, on THIS point anyway, are you and the other guys pretty much saying that the BG master sounds more 'warm' and less 'bright' as the other one mentioned? (Sax, right?) BTW, which release is which? I'm getting the impression that the 1st U.S. pressing is the SAX one, right? Did BG do a more recent remaster?

Oh, and is this Meddle or WYWH are you talking about. I would LOVE to get a great pressing of Meddle!

DAMN! I sure hope I live frigg'n LONG enough to finish this thread...! :rolleyes:

18. Slick Willie

Not really sure that BG, or Sax for that matter, actually mastered these. I get the impression that they were only cut by them....different studios 'natch.

19. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

My issue with the 30th DSOTM was never surface noise but sibilance. The reissue beats it in that regard IMO.

20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Good point. When will folks ever stop thinking clearer is better. It isn't.

Sparkler likes this.
  21. latheofheaven

Oh yeah, yeah... I always bloody get those two confused, sorry mate... :wave:

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. latheofheaven

Actually, I was very fortunate about 7 years ago on Discogs I was able to snage a VG++/NM copy of the 1st UK pressing shipped here to the U.S. for about $20. The reason I was even looking for it was because I had an early U.S. copy and I had read somewhere that the U.S. prints weren't that great, and listening to my old one it never really sounded that impressive. But, the UK one really kicked it's @ss and was the very first time I anyway heard the album sound that good!

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. latheofheaven

Do you have the 1st UK pressing of this or have you heard it? I was able to snag a real clean one about 7 years ago on Discogs (probably my very first purchase there :) ) and it completely blew away my U.S. pressing. I don't think my U.S. is a 1st pressing or anything, maybe a fairly early one. But, the UK 1st REALLY sounded amazing!

24. latheofheaven

Exact same for me! But, based on what Ubiknik says above, I'm guessing that I have a later U.S. pressing that isn't so hot.

25. Slick Willie

Re: Animals

Yes I have a UK press, it is what I consider definitive. I spoke of the US because a poster had commented on the price of the UK. It has become ....difficult to obtain.
    I also have US 1st issue and a JPN press (1st issue also, IIRC).

mikemoon likes this.