New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Yesterday I received my 2016 DSOTM from amazon.it (a bargain at €14.99 - https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00536OCZA). Quiet pressing, perfectly flat and centered, very good sounding, a bit sibilant on my AT440mLa cart but nothing annoying: a pleasant listening experience throughout. For those who care about matrices: 5A/4B.
    Now, I really enjoy the sound of my 2013 WYWH cut by Sax so I would rather get a "quiet" copy of it than get a 2016 cut by Grundman. But it would require ordering from amazon.com, at high shipping rates and it would be a hassle returning it in case of issues. So I'm still undecided...

2. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Watching an unboxing vídeo for the DSoT reissue, I've noticed that Breathe (reprise) is included.

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

If you already like 2013 WYWH, I wouldn't try to too hard to score 2016 Grundman's cut. Wait until you can pick it up for cheap.

Regards

grandegi likes this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazon UK have it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wish-Were-...9078&sr=1-1&keywords=wish+you+were+here+vinyl

grandegi likes this.
  5. grandegi

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  6. Just found a nice used copy of "A Great Collection of Dance Songs" (US pressing) which I picked up for around $15.

Would love to hear comparisons between original pressings and the new version.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My new one is noisy. Grrrr.

8. grandegi

The quality control for new vinyl issues is a real pita

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sorry read 2016 bit. Frankly the Grundman sounds even better and you aren't certain to get a Sax if you order from Amazon USA - both appear to be sold over there.

grandegi likes this.
  10. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Try Amazon.ca. They have it at 19.26Cdn at the moment. Not sure of shipping cost for you tho. It will be the Sax cut.

grandegi likes this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It seems that there were some issues with the quality of early pressings of the 2015/16 PF reissues. I waited a couple of months before purchasing mine, and all 6 have been scuff free, clean, and flat. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'm going to wait a little bit before ordering Delicate Sound Of Thunder.

12. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

This is so true. My first copy of Meddle arrived with a huge gash through the first track on side 1. Second copy plays nice, but is pretty warped.

I had no issues with Animals and The Dark Side Of The Moon, though.

grandegi likes this.
  13. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

I agree and they can be had for much less if you're patient. I pre ordered a few of the titles and there were some issues for sure.

grandegi and Dr. Funk like this.
  14. I wonder how the created the master for the new version of "A Collection of Great Dance Songs", since there are special fades etc.

I wonder if they used the existing remastering for the already available tracks and created a new digital master for the compilation.

15. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

To your taste. Not the case for everyone here. The BG version has the 2016 sound signature while the Sax version is closer to the original IMO. Both are excellent.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  16. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed it too.
    Stupid mistake, whoever changed it. :rolleyes:

brfloydfan likes this.
  17. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Folks, for those that might be interested, I got the new "Delicate Sound of Thunder" reissue. My copy is very quiet, and the sound is very good (even though comparable to my japanese DSD remaster, but with a more prominent bass and less sibilance). A good option for those who want to get a vinyl copy without paying eBay prices. Another thing that impresses me about these reissues in general is the care they took on the graphics: it all looks like a mint original copy, and not the cheap "photocopy" effect sometimes we see in other reissues.

Crazyhorse11, zinan and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  18. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Truth be told, some of the 2016 reissues have much brighter graphics than the originals - like Animals - which many ''older'' fans didn't appreciate. In fact, Meddle has a somewhat different cover. Regardless, like you said, they are all well done in spite of certain differences.

19. Norco74

Yes, some graphics are different. We are in the 3rd millenium so I think it’s ok to substitue some graphics to something else if it’s done right. Meddle, DSOTM and Meddle have slightly different artworks. Love the cover texture of Meddle and DSOTM. Have an original of Animals so I can care less about the brightness difference which is ok by the way. Not sure I understand why some are having a tantrum about it!

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

If they re-release that one I hope it's more affordable then.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

All of the vinyl records? I thought they're from Optimal Media.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Or maybe the mono Piper and Saucerful would get the catalogue numbers PFRLP1M and PFRLP2M instead.

3Dman and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Same here. At first Meddle looked (felt) weird, but I eventually loved it. Besides, it's not that I can actually feel the difference since my records are all in protective plastic sleeves :p

Norco74 likes this.
  24. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I'm crossing my fingers!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. Norco74

And why would you like to listen to it in mono more than stereo? Just curious. I have the mono version from the 3 CD boxset and find it ok but not moving...